Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2018, 22:20   #1

Boat: Bavaria 47 Ocean CC
Which Engine

Hello Friends
I have decided to replace the engine on my boat a 2001 Bavaria 47 Ocean CC, The current engine is a Volvo Penta TMD22 PC (Turbo Version)

Which one should i choose Yanmar or another Volvo

All comments gratefully received
dougieji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 23:59   #2

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Re: Which Engine

Hey there, I'm repowering at the moment as well, and here is what I learned:

1) Someone tried to sell me a Volvo Penta turbo for a VERY good price to replace my 1991 Perkins Prima 80T. I was tempted and did a lot of research and it seems that when they're good, they're good, but when they break.....oh man. If you are gonna do any serious cruising around the world stuff, you'll be flying your volvo repair man in (along with his little magic black diagnostic box only he and some few and far between places have). You won't be able to fix it or even have an above average diesel mechanic fix it for you in many places. And they seem to break a fair bit.

2) That turbo is fiddly and has no place in an offshore cruising boat. Don't exactly remember why, but that was my read of it.

3) Between those options, a very smart friend of mine is going with a Yanmar.

3) I am sticking with my Perkins, and getting it overhauled instead, so I can fix it with 2 screwdrivers, a pair of panties and a wad of gum
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 00:18   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Yanmar.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 00:20   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

I re-powered my boat in 2012 with a marinised Kubuto V2203 industrial diesel engine after looking at what was available in marine engines. They all had too much crap hanging off them and I wanted to stay with a naturally aspirated, non electronic mechanical fuel system.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 00:23   #5

Boat: Alubat OVNI 455 50 ft

Hello

I am also planning to change my TMD22 PC on a OVNI 455. For me the best choice is the D2-75 because it as the same size and go in the same hole. The turbo on the D2-75 seem to be without wastegate that is a advantage. Mine is all the time locked on the TMD 22.
Let me know what you choose

Good luck
JC
anthea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 00:29   #6

Boat: 44ft mono hull

+1 for the marinised kubota (beta marine) it's a tractor engine so parts avaliable world wide relatively cheaply.
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 03:15   #7

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

I love my Yanmar...... past two boats had them. If I were reporting I would highly consider beta marine..... no electronics, basic reliable marinozed engine

Good luck
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 03:18   #8

Electrical.
Bob666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 03:50   #9

Hello Dougieji
The Yanmar 4JH series has a very good low...er rpm 54 hp engine that's a good fit for a TMD22 replacement and Beta will supply their Kubota marinisation with the exact same footprint as your Volvo but neither of these engines is supplied with an insulated earth like your existing engine. Beta might sell it as an option and Yanmar in Australia can help with a wiring diagram but as far as I know you would have to buy the relays and insulated senders from VDO ( but not new gauges. This issue will also impact on Anthea because the Ovni is electrically above ground and has a very good warning system at the nav station in the event that either the D.C. Positive or negative contacts or leaks to the hull.
I totally support Sojourner's comments re electronic/ common rail engines but sadly they are inevitable ☹️
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 05:16   #10

Hi Doug,

I can share my experience w Volvo Pentas on the back end. We were sailing across the South Pacific and encountered engine trouble (I think it was a head gasket?) in Vanuatu. Had to send for the part and were stuck in Harbour for 2 weeks waiting. (Then there was the fun of pulling the engine out and having it hanging in the salon for access - but that's another story!)

Volvo charges a disproportionate premium for all spares. Of course, shipping charges would be incurred with any manufacturer's part, but... well...

I highly recommend Yanmar. In all my years sailing w them, never had much difficulty beyond regular maintenance. Also have heard good things recently of betas and their solid Kubota engine blocks.

Good luck!
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 08:40   #11

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

I think you answered your own question. Your Volvo only lasted 7 years.

Beta or Yanmar.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 10:00   #12

Boat: Passport 40

The day you call Betamarine (my particular experience was with the North Carolina outfit), and they spent quite a bit of time on the phone with you helping you fix your problems, or troubleshooting; when you are not the origial purchaser of the engine ... you realize why not only are Betas fantastic easy to work engines. They have fantastic customer support.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 10:22   #13

Boat: F&C 44

Another +1 for Beta. My 43HP has been trouble free for 10yrs and 2000hrs. Very easy to work on also.
SteveSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 13:56   #14

I also have a TMD22 turbo that is getting a bit long in the tooth (1995, 8000 hours). It still runs great and gives me no trouble, but I have always had a look out for a potential replacement. So you might benefit from my research.

As other people here have mentioned, the Betamarine is a first class engine. They have good service and I really like skipping the maintenance and fragility of the turbocharger.

BUT... and there is always a but with boats... Swapping out the nominal 75 HP TMD22 (550 lbs) for the nominal 75 HP Beta75 Betamarine (911 lbs) will add almost FOUR HUNDRED POUNDS to your drive train weight. That is the weight penalty from skipping the turbocharger. Ouch. At least on my boat, I am not ready to pay that price. That might be a price some people would be fine with, it's just a judgement call that depends on your boat and lots of other factors.

Interestingly, the Beta85 at 790 lbs weighs LESS than the Beta75... because it has a turbocharger. So that might be an option if you're fine with the turbo.

I have no experience with the Volvo D2, but I do know many people with D3's. Based on their collective experience, I would not take one if it was given to me for free.

I have never heard serious complaints about the Yanmar engines in this size range. If I had to swap today, I'd go with the 75HP Yanamr while it is turbocharged, it is also NOT a common rail engine, and weighs even less than the old TMD22
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 16:30   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I would go for Yanmar over volvo anyday from the scuttlebutt. But i'd go with Beta over both except if the weight penalty is too much as Bilkenny says. Yanmar ( nice engines) ream you for parts but it maybe you will have to buy very little over your expected ownership of the boat since you are buying new. As usual, it depends on what's important to you. If reliability & simplicity uppermost, naturally aspirated, non-ecu,non turbo would be my choice if I had one.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine