Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2021, 08:07   #16

Re: Which Engine

i have had 3 yanmars in 3 different boats . i re engined my rhodes 30 from a dreadful faryman 8hp to an 18 hp 2 GM20 F in 1995 . 10 years later it was in immaculate shape when i sold the boat . it needed only routine oil changes, top up of cooling fluid (aka 'freshwater' into the radiator ?) and raw water impeller changes. my next boat, a nauticat 321 came w OEM yanmar 3 JH4E (non turbo) a magnificent 39 hp yan. same thing on maintenance .. easy to do and inexpensive. i' m now restoring an old catboat and will repower w whatever yanmar fits. yanmar mechanics are available world wide, and the parts while a little pricey are not as expensive as volvo. if you're looking at a turbo yan BE SURE to get a yan SERVICE manual , as neglecting the routine turbo maintenance can be very expensive to repair. as to electrics-- expensive heavy batteries bank . limited range. torqeedo repowers are about $7KUSA vs $ 9 K for a yan 2 YSM repower. and if you run out of battery power on a lee shore in 30 knots i hope your insurance is paid up. a catboat here on lake erie USA replaced its yan 1 GM 10 w a torqeedo system. it stayed on the market for a year, no one around here wants the risk of a nonfunctional electric engine with a great lakes storm approaching.
kaisardog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine