Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2021, 16:30   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349
Which dinghy outboard to get?

Kinda cheesed right now. A couple months ago I bought a used west marine outboard and inflatable. Made sure it fired up before using it and all was well. It sat in my garage for a while as I waited for my boat to be built. Was going to take it to my new marina and wanted to get it in tip top shape, however, what was sold to me as a 2014 Honda 5HP with 100 hours was really a 1997. Tried taking out the fuel jet but that is very corroded in there.

That said, while I’m sure I can get it to work eventually, I rather just buy something new that I can trust. Any recommendations for either a 2-3HP or a 5-6HP outboard to use? Mothership is a Jeanneau 349. Not sure if I will upgrade to a RIB down the road so may be leaning towards the smaller size engine. Mainly debating either a Yamaha or Honda in the 2HP range. Heard the Honda is very loud and lots of vibrations but air cooled versus the Yamaha being water cooled. Any preferences?
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 16:38   #2

Re: Which dinghy outboard to get?

Replacement carbs can usually be had cheap.

If you’re hell bent on another engine, can’t go wrong with Yamaha. I’d argue they’re the gold standard. I’m a big fan of water cooled two strokes, but that’s just me.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 16:42   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

2.5 hp air cooled Honda seems to be loved by the charter companies , noisy little thing.

I think the Yamaha is actually a Tohatsu anyway
Old 03-08-2021, 16:47   #4

Boat: Colegate 26

For that size have you considered electric?
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 17:00   #5

Boat: Boatless

I have always bought something big enough for the dinghy and outboard to maneuver the boat and get me out of the anchorage which puts you at a 5hp. Charter people get nervous when you short tack through an anchorage!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 17:12   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
2.5 hp air cooled Honda seems to be loved by the charter companies , noisy little thing.

Small Evinrudes are Tohatsu motors, not Yamaha.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 17:35   #7

I just grabbed a 6HP Suzuki to replace my 4 HP Mercury...lots more speed but same weight.

I don't trust 2 HP to actually get me anywhere.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 17:41   #8

Well my other concern is that I’ll have this on an outboard bracket and will need to put on the dingy from the bathing platform so less weight is better. Could go with the 3.5HP Mercury for the same weight. That’s a Tohatsu right? I’d just rather have something new at this point that I know all the hours and service intervals.
Old 03-08-2021, 18:41   #9

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Letterkenny, all of the small outboards suffer from the same problem of clogged carburetor jets, particularly the low idle jet, due to ethanol fuel. Only way to avoid it is to buy expensive aviation non ethanol fuel if you can find it, or buy a propane fueled motor. I have a Tohatsu 3.5 and after having the carb cleaned each year for several years I just replaced the whole carb. Cheaper than buying a new engine. I use a crane or outboard motor hoist to lower it onto my dinghy and to lift it off again. Easier than manhandling even a small motor.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 19:05   #10

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

I have a 3.5hp Tohatsu. It's been sunk once, set on fire once, generally abused, is now 15 years old and still going strong. Yes i believe the Mercury 3.3hp is pretty much the same thing. Can't comment on the ethanol issue as we don't have it here.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 19:07   #11

Boat: Catalina 320

I got a Honda 2hp sometime late 90's (it was $600, which seemed outrageous) because it was the ONLY small OB available in California at the time. It's a noisy little beast with no reverse and the centrifugal clutch takes some practice. On the other hand it still starts easy every time, no impellors, spark plug and oil is all it's ever had. Shortly after a friend got a little Suzuki that was quiet and pretty nice, but don't know that it still survives. One thing of importance is to run the carb dry every time it's going to not be used more than a day or 2.
Quieter and doesn't smoke like a Seagull but it's similar. Used it to hip tow a 27' boat across the harbor middle of the night in the rain and my dockmate was awake and waiting. Said he heard me coming from across the harbor, knew it was me.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 19:32   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Letterkenny, all of the small outboards suffer from the same problem of clogged carburetor jets, particularly the low idle jet, due to ethanol fuel. Only way to avoid it is to buy expensive aviation non ethanol fuel if you can find it, or buy a propane fueled motor. I have a Tohatsu 3.5 and after having the carb cleaned each year for several years I just replaced the whole carb. Cheaper than buying a new engine. I use a crane or outboard motor hoist to lower it onto my dinghy and to lift it off again. Easier than manhandling even a small motor.
I understand this to be the issue with small outboards. However, I’m thinking mine will need a major rebuild and Honda doesn’t even list parts pre 2004. At this point, I’d rather have something where I fully know it’s history than finding out it’s 17 years older than what I was told and where I can get parts easier. I am interested in the 2.5/3.5 vs 5/6 HP debate. I’m in Southern California so less reliant on the dinghy than a world traveler. 40 pounds definitely sounds easier than 60 pounds to carry and mount but more HP sounds better.
Old 03-08-2021, 20:08   #13

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

The Yamaha is not a Tohatsu. Yamaha makes their own motors. The factory which makes the Tohasu's was an cooperative between Tohatsu, Mercury and Nissan. I think Nissan is out.

Mercury's larger than 30 HP are manufactured by Mercury in a number of factories around the world, notably China. The largest, Mercury Verados, are basically manufactured in the the US and assembled in various mercury plants.

If I need to buy another outboard (if my 2-stroke Merc made in Wisconsin ever dies) it will be a Merc made by Tohatsu.
Old 03-08-2021, 20:31   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
For that size have you considered electric?
I would march right down to West Marine and buy a Torqeedo if I was looking for 2HP and preserving my sanity…
Beneteau2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 20:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneteau2011 View Post
I would march right down to West Marine and buy a Torqeedo if I was looking for 2HP and preserving my sanity…
Thought that but it’s significantly more.

Tags
dinghy, outboard