Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2016, 19:50   #1

Boat: 1989 Cabo Rico 34
Which Diesel Fuel Filter

I'm in need of a new diesel fuel filter and am looking for some words of wisdom. I'm thinking that a commonly available filter element would be nice as we're really not sure where we might end up. So far I'm looking at the Racor 120, 215, and 230. My engine is a Yanmar 3gm30f so they all seem to be fine for the fuel flow. Is there an advantage to having a filter rated for a higher flow rate than necessary? Is there an advantage to having the priming pump or is it just another place to leak air? What are your recommendations for a filter? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-01-2016, 20:11   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Which Diesel Fuel Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoppySailor View Post
I'm in need of a new diesel fuel filter and am looking for some words of wisdom. I'm thinking that a commonly available filter element would be nice as we're really not sure where we might end up. So far I'm looking at the Racor 120, 215, and 230. My engine is a Yanmar 3gm30f so they all seem to be fine for the fuel flow. Is there an advantage to having a filter rated for a higher flow rate than necessary? Is there an advantage to having the priming pump or is it just another place to leak air? What are your recommendations for a filter? Thanks in advance.
I reckon the common filter on a world wide basis must be the CAV (now Delphi) and in most countries, they are probably the cheapest. Used in trucks, tractors, busses, boats, anywhere a diesel engine is found.
https://www.whitworths.com.au/products/34306_lg.jpg
Most don't like them and they can be a pain to replace and get all the gaskets / seals etc line up and it seems that North American folk (in particular) use Racors. It is a bit of an art to replace a CAV element, certainly not spin on!

Just remember that the most of the fuel delivered by your Yanmar fuel pump is not burnt, rather it goes straight back into the tank by the return line but if the tiny Yanmar filter will handle the flow, any external filter will
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 02:37   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I'mm surprised this topic hasn't elicited more responses - shameless bump
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 04:13   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

God I hate those CAV filters.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 04:45   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoppySailor View Post
Another CAV hater here! Had to change one under way after a storm once, winds were calm, but seas were still rolly. Had to do it twice due to a misaligned seal. What a mess.

Go with a Racor 500FG or similar. Its easy to service and very popular so filters are commonly available at popular cruising venues.

http://www.racorfilter.com/online/in...500fg2410.html

Capacity. Yes, it is good to have more flow (filtration) capacity than necessary. I have 500FGs on my engines. They are rated at 60 GPH, my little Volvo MD2020s draw about 0.6 GPH at modest cruising RPM. So, the filter can be 90% clogged and still pass enough fuel to run. In 14 years running this configuration, Ive never had an engine stall due to a clogged fuel filter (and I have removed some seriously nasty fuel filters a few times). Had the same configuration on a Yanmar 30 on my previous boat...never a clog.

Priming pump/bulb. I have an in line priming bulb. I like the simplicity of that option. Never had a leak at or near the bulb (though thats obviously a possibility). Handy for maintenenace and, if a filter does clog, you can manually put a little more pressure behind it to keep the engine running (got a boat I was delivering into a slip like this once...engine started to die on approach...was able to nurse it in using the bulb...strong cross current in the marina...would have gotten ugly with no power). I think there is a thread on this subject and different configurations here.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 05:22   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i had racor 300. someone broke it.. how de hell is that possible-- quite easily when ye have wrong idjit on board... he was canned.. yaaayy.. but...
i figgered 2 of the racor 500s would be perfect--one for engine, one to polish.... we see how i really do it. i have em-just not yet installed....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 05:31   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
God I hate those CAV filters.

Mark
+1k!

Or is that ...

- 1k???

Dunno... They suckz...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 05:56   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don't like the CAV either, but grew up with them on International farm tractors, so I can deal with them. You will spill some fuel if you have them, but with enough rags etc., that can be contained. Just for Gods sake have a spare glass bowl, if you don't you'll over tighten the bolt or not have the bowl centered correctly and bust it, then your screwed without a spare.

I went with the dual Racor 500's, then found out after installation that while you can run both or either one, you can't be running off of one, while you change the other one, or at least that is what the instructions say anyway, I thought you could.

My boat came with an electric priming pump, it's inop and I removed it and don't think I'll replace it. It wasn't any big deal to fill both of the 500's with the little lever on the mechanical fuel pump on the engine, and I doubt I'll ever have to fill both at once again, one is just a couple of minutes wobbling that lever, just have to go slow with the lever, it will only pump just so fast, wobbling it faster does not increase flow.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 05:58   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
+1k!

Or is that ...

- 1k???

Dunno... They suckz...

Those are an incarnation of the dark lord himself, evil elvin playthings not meant for use by mortal souls!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 08:06   #10

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Ditto on the CAV..... The Racor 500FG is the most common "usable" filter available. You can see any 'spooge" that accumulates. I have an outboard primer bulb before the racor that I prime it with. (There will be people that do not like this) Works fine. Takes 2 min. to change the element and restart.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 08:47   #11

Boat: Hunter 33.5

Had a Racor on my Hunter, Yanmar 3gm30f for over 10 years with no problems at all. Be sure to carry a spare filter cartridge also.
tdh1849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 08:53   #12

I have a dubbel vetus filter with a underpressure meter. There are also systems how switch automaticley from filter 1 to 2 if filter 1 block. You will find noweare in the world spare filters and the dubbel Vetus filter is to complicated and will be corroded after a wille. For a dubbel filter have Racor a better system and you find spare filters for it on a lot of places arround the world.
KWISPEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 09:09   #13

Boat: 1988 Hunter Legend 35

Concur with the Racor 500 - I've had one (500FG) on for years and it's been faultless (ah phooey shouldn't have said that..... )

Also about to put a 'fuel-guard' in place as a primary ahead of the Racor, it's maybe a little overkill but the tank's not getting any younger and I use less fuel each year (6 gals last season out of 20) I figured belt and braces etc and with it being a permanent cleanable filter should take most of the doodoo out first and cut down on secondary filter changes (that's the plan anyhow, will find out how good it is next season)

Grae Morrison
grae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 09:20   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

I have the same engine, and I use a Racor 230R, which is probably way oversized, but it works splendidly. Since the spin-on filters don't rely on the spinning of the fuel to extract some of the water, I don't believe an oversized spin-on filter has a downside to it: just more media for more capacity for impurities.

Unless I got horrid fuel, I can't imagine going through more than a few replacement elements per year.

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 09:30   #15

All you need is a 120. 15 gals per hour.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel, fuel filter