Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2019, 17:10   #1

Boat: Beneteau 473
Where's the oil drain bolt on the Yanmar 4JH3-TE?

I've searched online and looked through the Yanmar manual I have on my Yanmar 4JH3-TE and it looks like there is not the typical oil pan drain bolt on the bottom rear of the pan. Can someone with more experience on this engine confirm that it may be the banjo bolt (or not?) that the dip stick goes into on the aft starboard side of the pan? That bolt looks to be the lowest bolt on the pan that I can find. (I don't want to use the method of sucking the oil out of the dipstick).

My intention is to replace this bolt and plumb this threaded fitting to my in/out Jabsco oil change vane pump. Are there any surprises or anything I need to know before I remove that bolt to drain the warmed up oil out and then replace that bolt with my valve and hose fittings going to my permanent oil change pump? (I already have a Fumoto 108N (16M x 1.5) oil valve but don't like its small diameter orifice so I probably won't use it and will find something with a larger diameter I.D.)

Any tips on doing this install would be very much appreciated.
Thanks!
Wireless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 17:52   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Where's the oil drain bolt on the Yanmar 4JH3-TE?

How would you then check the oil level?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 19:52   #3

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I don't have the same engine, but I looked at the parts diagram for yours and it looks like the same setup I have. Mine was plumbed for a Reverso oil change pump when I got it and it is set up pretty much the way you propose. I don't know the thread size on the bolt which is a banjo bolt so it does not need to be completely removed to drain the oil. I have found that for all of the various ports such as the oil sender, the taps for the water heater, the water temperature sensor, etc. that all of them use British Parallel Pipe thread rather than NPT or regular metric threads. I don't know if they have done the same thing with this banjo bolt but you might not be able to use a standard metric thread. Just something to watch out for if things don't seem to fit quite right.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 19:56   #4

Where's the oil drain bolt on the Yanmar 4JH3-TE?

I have a 4 jh3-te which has a jabsco oil change pump. I’ll check on how it’s plumbed next week and let you know. The dipstick is in its normal position.
t380029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 00:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
How would you then check the oil level?
It's my understanding that you leave the oil dip stick fitting in place and the bolt that holds the dip stick fitting there is replaced by the same size threaded pipe fitting or on/off ball valve (16m x 1.5). I hope that makes sense but that is my understanding of it.
Let's see if any experts step in and offer some info...
Thanks...
Old 17-03-2019, 00:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by t380029 View Post
I have a 4 jh3-te which has a jabsco oil change pump. I’ll check on how it’s plumbed next week and let you know. The dipstick is in its normal position.
That will be AWESOME! Thanks so much for your offer. I'm in no hurry to do the install so I'm happy to stand by.

Old 17-03-2019, 00:09   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I don't have the same engine, but I looked at the parts diagram for yours and it looks like the same setup I have. Mine was plumbed for a Reverso oil change pump when I got it and it is set up pretty much the way you propose. I don't know the thread size on the bolt which is a banjo bolt so it does not need to be completely removed to drain the oil. I have found that for all of the various ports such as the oil sender, the taps for the water heater, the water temperature sensor, etc. that all of them use British Parallel Pipe thread rather than NPT or regular metric threads. I don't know if they have done the same thing with this banjo bolt but you might not be able to use a standard metric thread. Just something to watch out for if things don't seem to fit quite right.
Thanks for the heads up on those thread types. A couple of companies that make those quick change oil valves both list the threads for the 4JH3-TE as 16Mx1.5.
Interesting that they are parallel threads and not tapered.
Old 17-03-2019, 01:52   #8

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Is this any help?
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 01:55   #9

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

I took the banjo bolt out, drilled the head and brazed a pipe barb in.
A hose goes to my oil change pump.

Regards,
Richard
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 10:04   #10

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

On several Yanmars I have worked on there is a hex head plug at the forward upper corner of the oil pan behind the water pump. This port has a tube extending to the bottom of the oil pan. This is a JIS straight thread with a copper gasket.

I fabricated a hose adapter to this plug and used this port for oil pump-outs. Started with a replacement plug, thru drilled it, and soldered a hose barb in the hole.

FYI: JIS and BPT threads are basically the same. JIS stuff is widely available at auto suppliers, also at hydraulic fitting suppliers. My memory says I was able to order the plug and copper gaskets from Yanmar.
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 10:46   #11

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

I can't guarantee that the 4JH3 is the same but the 4JH2 has a drain plug on the side of oil pan, port side, at the back (nearest the gearbox). I also installed a Fumoto valve but without a pump, with a long drain hose leading to a can that I place in the bilge, downhill all the way. It works but it is SLOW! I'll add a pump when I have time.
Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 11:35   #12

Boat: Fisher 31, 9.4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireless1 View Post
Thanks for the heads up on those thread types. A couple of companies that make those quick change oil valves both list the threads for the 4JH3-TE as 16Mx1.5.
You can't use a tapered fitting on a banjo as the thread will probably tighten before the banjo is sealed, or, if it is sealed, the thread will not be.
AlanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 12:02   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatwright View Post
On several Yanmars I have worked on there is a hex head plug at the forward upper corner of the oil pan behind the water pump. This port has a tube extending to the bottom of the oil pan. This is a JIS straight thread with a copper gasket.

I fabricated a hose adapter to this plug and used this port for oil pump-outs. Started with a replacement plug, thru drilled it, and soldered a hose barb in the hole.

FYI: JIS and BPT threads are basically the same. JIS stuff is widely available at auto suppliers, also at hydraulic fitting suppliers. My memory says I was able to order the plug and copper gaskets from Yanmar.
I don't see the fitting you are talking about on my 4JH3-TE... Wish it was that easy. Thanks...
Old 17-03-2019, 12:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanR View Post
You can't use a tapered fitting on a banjo as the thread will probably tighten before the banjo is sealed, or, if it is sealed, the thread will not be.
Yes, the Fumoto oil valve threads spec for the 4JH3 is "16M x 1.5" not tapered.
Thanks...
Old 18-03-2019, 11:33   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireless1 View Post
I think you will find that there are no tapered metric threaded pipe fittings. Probably dates back to the 10 day week.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, yanmar