Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2015, 07:44   #16

Boat: Caliber 47
Re: Where to have injector work done?

I too had a similar situation on our JH4 non turbo so I spoke to our diesel repair shop who does work for our company. Their recommendation was if smoke is "mild" he'd recommend an additive....he suggested Stanadyne. He says the stuff cleans injectors and it has cost his company a lot of new injector business but he feels it's his duty to let customers know about the stuff. We now run it and I have seen improvement.

If you don't trust additives Id take them to any good diesel shop and have them tested. Like one of the other writers suggested, boat injectors do not really work that hard and in most cases a simple cleaning will fix whatever ales them. I would not buy new ones and be very concerned of any shop wanting to charge $100 to "repair"
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:02   #17

Many thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to try the Stanadyne first!

Duane
carlylelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:27   #18

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber40 View Post
... I would not buy new ones and be very concerned of any shop wanting to charge $100 to "repair"
I think $100 is quite reasonable. The "repair" replaces all of the internal parts (the nozzle assembly) with new and tests/adjusts for proper spray pattern and pressure. For my 4JH the nozzles themselves are $85 if I buy them and do the work myself. For another $15 I get back and rebuilt injector that has been tested. I think that is a good deal.