Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2020, 18:03   #1

Boat: CMPF Trisbal 36 / Beneteau Ocenais 510
Where is kill switch attach on Yanmar 2QM20

Hi

I've a new to mew C&C 34 with Yanmar 2QM20 diesel engine. The "kill switch" is a pull knob on by the engine control panel. I was stuck and I found the other rend laying on the starter side of he engine. There looks to be a place aft of the throttle lever for it. Look slike when one reduces power the throttle lever arm hits a piston on a spring abd is kicked back to the low RPM position. Looks like when one pull the kill switch, the spring loaded rod on the engine end is retracted and allows the throttle lever back to what I assume is a fuel cut off position,

Is this correct?
Old 12-07-2020, 05:54   #2

Boat: Columbia 36
Re: Where is kill switch attach on Yanmar 2QM20

Sounds right. Not familiar with that model but the shut down is usually next to or coaxial with the speed control lever. The shut down lever moves the governor farther than the speed control can therefore shutting off all fuel to the injector pump.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:27   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I'm not familiar with that one, either, but there are really only two ways of shutting down a diesel, stop fuel or stop air, since there is not the third alternative in gasoline engines, shut off the spark. Normal cut off is fuel, but close enough to the injectors that you don't lose prime for the next start. Cutting off air is left for run-away Detroit Diesels, which have been known to suck their gaskets when the plate slams across the intake.

I like your tag lines, Krazy. My alternative is "Think of it, write it my pocket notebook."
Old 12-07-2020, 07:20   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's the Owner's manual. It's pretty clear that the engine shuts down by constricting fuel flow below the idle level. Sorry the PDF is too big for me to attach it here.

https://www.yanmarshop.com/Media/Def...124790-2E).pdf
Old 12-07-2020, 08:43   #5

Boat: Lagoon 400

You can try the setup by attaching a piece of string to the place were you think the cable should be connected.
Start the engine and then pull on the string emulating the action of the cable.
If engine stops you have it...
Old 12-07-2020, 09:29   #6

Boat: Peterson 35

Hi, Krazy,

My engine is the same model, and the manual says to shut it down by throttling back entirely. Works like a charm instantly. Gotta love simplicity.
partingclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:34   #7

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
You can try the setup by attaching a piece of string to the place were you think the cable should be connected.
Start the engine and then pull on the string emulating the action of the cable.
If engine stops you have it...
My cable needs to be replaced. To shut down I simply push the lever back until the engine stops. Make sure you have good light to see and no loose clothing. I've had to do this on quite a number of different engines over the years. If the engine won't start and it's not an out of fuel situation the 1at thing I check us the cut off by tapping it gent lo y to the run position. I've had boats that would not start even tho the lever was in the correct position eyeballing it.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:18   #8

Boat: Cape Dory 25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
I'm not familiar with that one, either, but there are really only two ways of shutting down a diesel, stop fuel or stop air, since there is not the third alternative in gasoline engines, shut off the spark. Normal cut off is fuel, but close enough to the injectors that you don't lose prime for the next start. Cutting off air is left for run-away Detroit Diesels, which have been known to suck their gaskets when the plate slams across the intake.

I like your tag lines, Krazy. My alternative is "Think of it, write it my pocket notebook."
Actually, there is a third way;it's called a "compression break" (not to be confused with "compression brake"). A lever holds the intake valves from closing completely. No compression, no ignition, engine stops.
Richv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:24   #9

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

It is useful to have these quick disconnects - one example here

https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en...SABEgKoVvD_BwE

(a UK supplier), so if a cable breaks or jams someone can control the throttle and ahead/astern by hand
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:38   #10

Boat: Lancer 36

OP, you have the correct concept of the operation; the parts manual shows the correct parts so you can see if anything is missing. I have the same engine, but a previous owner changed the engine controls to a dual lever, so the system no longer works as intended...I have to be careful in low speed manuevering not to kill the engine by throttling back too much. https://www.lsm-diesel.dk/2012/yanma...qm20-3qm30.pdf

Using the compression release to stop the engine is advised against in the service manual as it can cause damage.
OloteleMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:03   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

."I have to be careful in low speed manuevering not to kill the engine by throttling back too much."

Amen. That's why for docking and getting around a marina I set the throttle at near idle and leave it alone. Use the gearshift only. Ever seen someone lurching around the marina gunning the throttle?
Old 12-07-2020, 16:49   #12
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Please note the 2QM20H has a slightly different engine stop arrangement than the other versions of the 2QM20 i.e. the B, F, Y etc.

The H has a separate engine stop cable incorporated into the idle adjuster. The other versions simply require the throttle to be further retarded (against a spring in the idle adjustment).

I have seen both versions modified by owners to the other version...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2QM20 Idle.png
Views:	295
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	219214  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 19:13   #13

Boat: Cape Dory 25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by OloteleMtn View Post
OP, you have the correct concept of the operation; the parts manual shows the correct parts so you can see if anything is missing. I have the same engine, but a previous owner changed the engine controls to a dual lever, so the system no longer works as intended...I have to be careful in low speed manuevering not to kill the engine by throttling back too much. https://www.lsm-diesel.dk/2012/yanma...qm20-3qm30.pdf

Using the compression release to stop the engine is advised against in the service manual as it can cause damage.
Granted; on the engines I used to work with, this was basically an e-stop measure should the engine run away due to a governor malfunction. Upper valve damage beats having the engine tear itself apart.
Richv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:47   #14

Hi!

Swedish sailer here :-)

I bump this thread, cause it really seems like you guys know 2qm20´s.

I have a 2qm20H in my 36 ft sailingboat. I have the lever control with to arms (one for the gear and one for the throttle). This is killing me, I can´t really live with the way of handling the lever control. I am so near of killing the engine everytime I try to find a working idle when changing gear. And I don´t want any crash to happend beacuse of this.

I have asked a bunch of guys here in sweden if it is possible to change the lever control to a single one. The 2qm20H seems to have a special wire to kille the engine not only that you pull the idle to zero this wire has to be pulled. That makes me wounder if it´s possible to change to a single lever control and connect the wire for killing the engine to some sort of knob.

Excuse me of bad english :-)

Best regards
Linus, Kolmården
Sweden
Rackarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:48   #15

Hi!

Swedish sailer here :-)

I bump this thread, cause it really seems like you guys know 2qm20´s.

I have a 2qm20H in my 36 ft sailingboat. I have the lever control with to arms (one for the gear and one for the throttle). This is killing me, I can´t really live with the way of handling the lever control. I am so near of killing the engine everytime I try to find a working idle when changing gear. And I don´t want any crash to happend beacuse of this.

I have asked a bunch of guys here in sweden if it is possible to change the lever control to a single one. The 2qm20H seems to have a special wire to kille the engine not only that you pull the idle to zero this wire has to be pulled. That makes me wounder if it´s possible to change to a single lever control and connect the wire for killing the engine to some sort of knob.

Excuse me of bad english :-)

Best regards
Linus, Kolmården
Sweden
Rackarns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2qm20, yanmar