Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2021, 02:51   #16

Re: Where is kill switch attach on Yanmar 2QM20

Hi!

Swedish sailer here :-)

I bump this thread, cause it really seems like you guys know 2qm20´s.

I have a 2qm20H in my 36 ft sailingboat. I have the lever control with to arms (one for the gear and one for the throttle). This is killing me, I can´t really live with the way of handling the lever control. I am so near of killing the engine everytime I try to find a working idle when changing gear. And I don´t want any crash to happend beacuse of this.

I have asked a bunch of guys here in sweden if it is possible to change the lever control to a single one. The 2qm20H seems to have a special wire to kille the engine not only that you pull the idle to zero this wire has to be pulled. That makes me wounder if it´s possible to change to a single lever control and connect the wire for killing the engine to some sort of knob.

Excuse me of bad english :-)

Best regards
Linus, Kolmården
Sweden
Rackarns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:08   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the stop on my 2 qm20h in my ericson i used to have decided to cease functioning so we made mine throttle down to 0 rpm and stop that way.. was easy when done by pacwest marine in san diego.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 21:07   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Welcome to the forum Linus,
It definitely will be possible to seperate the throttle from the stop control but it depends on how mechanically skilled you are.
The stop part probably just pushes the fuel rack back to the no fuel position. You could fit a stop on the throttle lever to prevent it from going back that far & rig a seperate stop cable. The best thing to do is download the 2QM20 workshop manual & work out how it works & then think your way to a solution.
If I was near you I could help you out but dont think I can give you step by step written instructions.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:20   #19
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackarns View Post
Hi!

Swedish sailer here :-)

I bump this thread, cause it really seems like you guys know 2qm20´s.

I have a 2qm20H in my 36 ft sailingboat. I have the lever control with to arms (one for the gear and one for the throttle). This is killing me, I can´t really live with the way of handling the lever control. I am so near of killing the engine everytime I try to find a working idle when changing gear. And I don´t want any crash to happend beacuse of this.

I have asked a bunch of guys here in sweden if it is possible to change the lever control to a single one. The 2qm20H seems to have a special wire to kille the engine not only that you pull the idle to zero this wire has to be pulled. That makes me wounder if it´s possible to change to a single lever control and connect the wire for killing the engine to some sort of knob.

Excuse me of bad english :-)

Best regards
Linus, Kolmården
Sweden
Welcome aboard Linus.

You have raised two seperate issues and I deal with each one separately.

1. Engine stop cable. If your 2QM20H is standard, it should already have a seperate stop cable usually attached to a knob or small lever. Look at the bottom section of the attached picture where I have added some coloured pointers and a circle.

The green pointer shows the throttle cable (also called speed control) and it moves the regulator handle on the engine accordingly. In the idle position, the regulator handle seats against the idle adjuster (yellow circle and yellow pointer). The idle adjuster is used (obviously) to adjust idle speed and should be adjusted when the engine is in neutral. The return spring holds the regulator handle against the idle adjuster.

To stop the engine, the stop cable (red pointer) is pulled and this allows the whole idle adjuster body to move against another small spring (red circle) which in turn allows the regulator handle to move further (pulled by the return spring) which cuts the fuel off completely inside the injection pump.

The small spring (red circle) may be rusted up and not allowing the mechanism to work correctly or it may have badly adjusted or even removed by a previous owner.

However you should be able to make it work as described above.

2. Converting two lever (gear and throttle) to a combined single lever operation. This is more difficult to achieve because most single lever setups use two small size control cables whereas your exisiting gear lever cable is most likely a large diameter cable. Have a look and if your gear cable is much larger than your throttle cable, then you will have a problem trying to convert to a single lever. However if both cables are the same size (small) then it will be easier to achieve.

The reason the gear cable is larger is because the force needed to operate the mechanical disc clutch / gear is quite high. The small cables usually aren't strong enough to operate a mechanic disc clutch on this engine. Newer engines have either a cone clutch or perhaps an hydraulic clutch where the force required is small.

Maybe there is a single lever that will accommodate one large gear cable and one small throttle cable but I haven't seen one in my part of the world.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2QM20 Idle copy.png
Views:	176
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	237705  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2qm20, yanmar