Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2008, 20:03   #1

Boat: c&c landfall 43
what to do?

here is the issue I am going south next year from vabcouver to mexico. I am torn at what to do with the engine.
details: westerbeke 58 with 8000 hours
I have had this boat with engine for 3 years and have had no trouble. I have done all the regular oil changes, fuel filters, tranny oil etc... also had the engine looked at by a mech. and water pump was replaced because bearing was shot and he said there was a little blow by but nothing out of the ordinary for the hours.
I want to have the injecters cleaned and high pressure fuel pump looked at but I have been told with that many hours a rebuild should be done or replacement before I go. what would you do?
limmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 20:43   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Buy Spares.

Have an oil analysis done.

Why do you want to service the Fuel System?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 20:57   #3

Boat: c&c landfall 43
not sure about the fuel system. I guess getting the injecters cleaned will be fine. I dont know much about the high pressure fuel pump so I dont want it to crap out on me.
limmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 21:37   #4

Boat: it doesn't have a sail so it doesn't count!
How comfortable are you with your engine? Are you planning on sailing or motoring?

We once were going north on the west side of Vancouver Island, made it to Zeballos when we blew out the transmission as we tried to motor into port. Great stories about our stay there and all the solutions for our problem (not to mention how fast everyone in town knew who we were and that we were towed in!) but that's for another day. We had a nice 2 night stay, found someone who towed us back out to the open water and set sail south back to Anacortes.

If you're comfortable with the engine, know the maintaince, go for it. There's a lot of places down the coast if you need repair and not in a hurry. The beauty of a sailboat -- people have sailed all over the world without an engine!

safe travels,
craig
NW Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 22:06   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Cost, risk and pleasure...

I replaced a 1980's era Ford diesel with a new John Deere 4045 and a ZF63. On the way I replaced or upgraded all filters and fuel lines, installed an electric fuel pump to facilitate bleeding, put in new control pod and a 4" exhaust with a new waterlift muffler.

The Ford was totally on it's last legs. Would only start with liberal doses of "Aerostart". When it was partially dismantled it was found to have bent pushrods.

I now have the pleasure of an engine that starts in less time than I can measure, easily pushes the boat to its hull speed, and improves maneuvering. Engine and gearbox are rated to run 24/7 at full power, with a gearbox that is greatly overrated.

For the cost and the pleasure, not to mention the reliability I'd suggest going with a new engine and gearbox. It should be assembled by trained workers to specification using the right tools in a clean environment. My experience with rebuilt engines has not been happy.

On the way you have the luxury of matching the engine with the boat, specifying a heavy duty gearbox and upgrading controls, fuel system and exhaust as needed.

Starting the engine at any time to motor through a period of enhanced risk should not depend on it's reliability.

Expensive - but probably not compared with engine troubles at a bad time.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 22:20   #6

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Boracay:

I run heavy equipment for a living...I'm a huge JD fan...Good choice..take care of it and you should get 12000 out of it pretty easy.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 02:58   #7

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
If it ain't broke don't fix it. Diesel engines are almost "new" at 8000 hours if properly maintained (and "old" at 500 hours if not). Keep an eye (and an ear) on it and youlll be fine.

Enjoy the trip and good luck to ya!
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 06:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by limmer View Post
not sure about the fuel system. I guess getting the injecters cleaned will be fine. I dont know much about the high pressure fuel pump so I dont want it to crap out on me.
Carry a spare HP pump.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 07:32   #9

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
limmer, I would contact Westerbeke and discuss what kind of service is recommended based on the current condition and number of hours of the engine. They can tell you better than speculation on a discussion board as to what if anything might fail and need to be replaced at those engine hours under good conditions. They can also advise you as to what parts you might consider doing rebuilds on and what you might just want to leave alone. They can also advise you on what spare parts are important to carry on an engine with that many hours. After all they do build the engines.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 18:08   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Just an observation......There are Westerbeke Parts Dealers and "Westerbeke Parts Dealers" like the "Dealer" that wanted to charge me $450.00 for an Exhaust Elbow (cast Iron)...which I then had made at a Machine Shop out of steel for $100.00.

If you are looking for spares...come to this board...we'll steer you in the right direction.

In another stream of conciousness.....BEFORE you leave.....take a few Overnight/multiple day trips. Push the boat like you would when you go on the BIG trip. I have had a number of customers over the years who did not do this and ended up disillusioned with long voyages.......That's why they are called Sea Trials or Shakedowns. My $0.02
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 18:24   #11

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
Just an observation......There are Westerbeke Parts Dealers and "Westerbeke Parts Dealers" like the "Dealer" that wanted to charge me $450.00 for an Exhaust Elbow (cast Iron)...which I then had made at a Machine Shop out of steel for $100.00.

If you are looking for spares...come to this board...we'll steer you in the right direction.

In another stream of conciousness.....BEFORE you leave.....take a few Overnight/multiple day trips. Push the boat like you would when you go on the BIG trip. I have had a number of customers over the years who did not do this and ended up disillusioned with long voyages.......That's why they are called Sea Trials or Shakedowns. My $0.02

That is why I did not suggest contacting a parts dealer, but to contact Westerbeke.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2008, 07:42   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by limmer View Post
I want to have the injecters cleaned and high pressure fuel pump looked at but I have been told with that many hours a rebuild should be done or replacement before I go. what would you do?
Determining the internal condition of the engine is not that difficult. Mechanical reliability is the issue of parts failing. With 8,000 hours you are fairly secure that the conrod bolts aren't going to back off, the valve train is solid etc. So it likely won't "break"

The performance of the engine is based on wearout which can be measured.

Have a professional differential compression check done. This should tell you accurately how well the cylinders are sealing. High differential means the rings or valve train is not sealing and if I were going on a world cruise I would either get the head and valves redone or do a complete ovehaul depending on where the leakage is.

Another indication of wear is oil consumption. High oil consumption could be another indicator or wear in the rings or in the valve train. These 2 pieces of information would be the basis for my decision.

External components I would not worry about too much. I would either replace and keep the used unit as spare or I would just carry a spare.

If all else is good cleaning the injectors, filter changes and all the normal maintenance items is all I would do.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote