Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2015, 12:45   #1

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36
What should I know about 1985 Detroit v-8 265hp Turbo?

I'm looking at a trawler with a 1985 Detroit (GM) V-8 Turbo 265 hp fresh water cooled diesel. What should I know about it? The hours log show 1430 hours on it.

Any info/help, etc. would be greatly appreciated!
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: What should I know about 1985 Detroit v-8 265hp Turbo?

Do you know the model i.e. 8v71TI or 8v53? Or a picture.
I have 671's inline model. I've been running Detroits (and Gray Marine) since I was 14. I ran the 6v53 jet drive, 671 12v71 prop drive and various 2, 3, and 471 generator engines in Vietnam. I like Detroits because they are non-computer, mechanical injected engines. Once started, as long as there is fuel and oil in the engine they will run. If you stay away from peak horsepower they almost last forever. The turbo engines when run flat out have shorter lives and use a lot more fuel. There is no injector pump. The injectors are driven by the cam and have a plunger inside that makes the high pressure for injection.
My mains are naturals, no turbo. Together they use 10 gallons an hour @ 10 knots. They had somewhere near 15,000 hours on them when I bought the boat. To me, they are easy engines to overhaul. There's a lot of people selling Detroit parts and most marine mechanics have worked on them. When I commercial fished in the 70's, the majority of the boats had Detroits. Many built in WWII, some never overhauled since then.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 14:51   #3

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Noisy as hell, but run forever like Lepke says. 265 hp, probably 6V-53. Had a pair in a 42 Hatteras Aft Cabin.
Old 06-02-2015, 16:18   #4

If they are 8 cylinder they would probably be 8v92s! Though the hp is way low for that size motor. I believe the base was 365, at least in trucks, with turbos. 8v71s had blowers on them! So I would guess as above they are 6v53s. Good motors in any event. You just have to watch for oil leaks.(supposedly) Though ours never really a real problem with that. In those days they were called little red or green grenades, cause they would like to blow up. Never saw that happen though!!!
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 16:36   #5

Hopefully that's not the GM diesel they tried to use in their truck for several years... ?terrible engine... never heard those called a Detroit though...

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:12   #6

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Are they blue? If so they're probably 8.2 Fuel pinchers, Detroits' entry into the 4 cycle engine line in 1980. They had initial problems keeping the heads on, the mechanics where I worked didn't like them, called them throwaway engines (they had to be bored to be resleeved). After 5 years maybe they bugs got worked out, maybe not, but the condition of the actual engine you have is more important. It's been around for 30 years, doesn't seem likely to loose a head or break a crank anytime soon....
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:36   #7

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Are they blue? If so they're probably 8.2 Fuel pinchers, Detroits' entry into the 4 cycle engine line in 1980. They had initial problems keeping the heads on, the mechanics where I worked didn't like them, called them throwaway engines (they had to be bored to be resleeved). After 5 years maybe they bugs got worked out, maybe not, but the condition of the actual engine you have is more important. It's been around for 30 years, doesn't seem likely to loose a head or break a crank anytime soon....

I worked on several of these in trucks and equipment. I've read in boats some owners are happy with them, personally I would keep looking there are a lot of boats out there. GM had some type of update to retrofit the early models with larger dia. head bolts and improved head gasket if I remember right. The units in equipment performed with way less problems than the ones in trucks. This may be due to the fact that they ran at wot with a steady load, similar to a boat except for the continuous wot rpm.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 13:02   #8

Boat: Skookum 53'

I have a really nice 471, I just took out of my boat that runs good, an I'll throw in a twin disc 506 LH rotation for a couple thousand. Of course you have to come to Alaska to get it.
Old 07-02-2015, 13:20   #9

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Is this a two or four stroke engine?

The two stroke Detroits all have blowers on them (creates positive pressure in the "airbox" to aid in scavenging) great engines, if looked after will out last you.

If its a four stroke, either the Detroit fuel pincher, heavier truck engine or the 360 CI (I think) light truck engine, I'd pass on both them for a boat engine.

I've worked on all of them (in land applications) and found the two stroke to be an excellent engine, barring noise, weight and the occasional oil leak. They like to run with temperature well controlled and regular tune ups.

Note: Scavenging is the process of pushing exhaust out of the cylinder and drawing in a fresh air for the next cycle.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:42   #10

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post

We had a single DD 8.2 (turbo'd) in our '87 trawler-ish kinda boat (a 34' Mainship III), marinized by Johnson & Towers, green. That was only 220-hp, though, not 265. Seems to me it was straight, not a V engine, either, but memory is hazy. FWIW, it worked fine.

-Chris