Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2020, 14:15   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Whatís with dummy lights?

Even two motorcycles riding close together you can easily hear the RPM difference.
Twin engines have a thrum, thrum sound when out of sync, as you get closer in RPM this noise slows down and when in sync it goes away. Out of sync motors annoy me to no end, makes me want to jump over there and show them how easy it is to fix, I guess some people never hear their motors?
RPM sync is not equalizing thrust, in a perfect world it would be, but if thrust is equal at equal RPM, your a lucky person.
However unless grossly out, I have never noticed unequal thrust, just a tiny bit of rudder and you go straight.

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 14:20   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
I was debating installing a master caution on the boat, but I can figure out a easy way to do it and donít want to get too crazy on my little 2 cylinder diesel lol

That said it failing at the wrong time could kill me just as dead as the pratt shitting the bed
In my opinion, you really should pretty much never, ever put yourself in a position to where the loss of the boat or life depends on that motor. I canít think of anytime I ever have anyway.
Iíve delivered single engine crop dusters to Central and South America over a lot of water, and that motor quitting then would have been ugly as even as you filed IFR no one was really looking for you.
I declined flying them over the North Atlantic to deliver them to Morocco, and or flying them to Australia.

Old 16-06-2020, 14:24   #33

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
In my opinion, you really should pretty much never, ever put yourself in a position to where the loss of the boat or life depends on that motor. I canít think of anytime I ever have anyway.
Iíve delivered single engine crop dusters to Central and South America over a lot of water, and that motor quitting then would have been ugly as even as you filed IFR no one was really looking for you.
I declined flying them over the North Atlantic to deliver them to Morocco, and or flying them to Australia.

You fly AG?

Know Billy in Ga?
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 14:36   #34

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

This should do the trick.
Cheers
Old 16-06-2020, 14:51   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Son View Post
This should do the trick.
Cheers
Not exactly the same thing, it would be one light with a buzzer for all that can be reset if pushed
Old 16-06-2020, 14:56   #36

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Not exactly the same thing, it would be one light with a buzzer for all that can be reset if pushed

Non resetable, I don't want a warning that can be reset while the condition that triggered it is still existing.
Heaven forbid!
Cheers
Old 16-06-2020, 15:01   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Son View Post
Non resetable, I don't want a warning that can be reset while the condition that triggered it is still existing.
Heaven forbid!
Cheers

Once acknowledged I donít need the thing screaming at me as I remedy the situation
Old 16-06-2020, 15:09   #38

Boat: Roberts 42' Spray Pilot House Ketch (Steely)

As a Pilot & a mechanic, I agree with A64pilot. To me, gauges are a must. I prefer Murphy Gauges which can be hooked to alarms or even shut down your engine if it is outside the parameters you set. Idiot lights should be used purely as a backup. Normally when an oil/temp light comes on, the damage is done, particularly if your engine runs an alloy head. My gauges are in the Pilot House but my alarms can be heard from the aft helm. If I am running on the engine for extended periods and steering from aft, I will scan my gauges from the companionway as I know where the gauge needles normally sit.I am about to install an EGT gauge, with the probe just aft of the water being injected into the wet exhaust. The gauge will be visual as well as audible in it's warnings. After having a raw water P.p failure at the point of no return whilst crossing a Bar resulting in a fried rubber flexible and flooding the boat with toxic exhaust smoke, I will take as much precaution as I can.
Bundyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 16:02   #39

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

I guess for folks sitting at the helm driving power boats, constantly checking gauges is relatively simple and mostly, gauges are seen in peripheral vision. For example, one doesnít gaze at the speedo on oneís car but you always know what speed youíre doing.

But on a sailing boat where one might motor at 7kn all day long, gazing at gauges gets old quite fast. So I rely on the buzzer to tell me that something is amiss. Problem is, the same buzzer operates on temperature and oil pressure so there is a light signifying which element has caused the buzzer to go off. The light is evident far more significantly than a falling gauge.

Sure, the reaction will be the same when the buzzer and either light goes on - mild panic and instant reaction. But personally I wouldnít be without all three warning devices, after all they do no harm.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 16:26   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
I guess for folks sitting at the helm driving power boats, constantly checking gauges is relatively simple and mostly, gauges are seen in peripheral vision. For example, one doesnít gaze at the speedo on oneís car but you always know what speed youíre doing.

But on a sailing boat where one might motor at 7kn all day long, gazing at gauges gets old quite fast. So I rely on the buzzer to tell me that something is amiss. Problem is, the same buzzer operates on temperature and oil pressure so there is a light signifying which element has caused the buzzer to go off. The light is evident far more significantly than a falling gauge.

Sure, the reaction will be the same when the buzzer and either light goes on - mild panic and instant reaction. But personally I wouldnít be without all three warning devices, after all they do no harm.
Be it sailing or with no canvas up, your scan should be the same if youíre spinning the shaft.
Old 16-06-2020, 16:44   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You fly AG?

Know Billy in Ga?
Last name?, Billy in what town? Never actually flew Ag, but was VP and test pilot for Thrush Aircraft for I guess about 14 years
Old 16-06-2020, 16:50   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You don’t scan the gauges but do look at them from time to time, frequently enough to see if there is a slowly developing trend, like if your heat exchanger needs cleaning or maybe picked up some grass in the strainer etc.
No one ever said delete the lights / buzzer, just it’s nice to have a second independent source of information and one that you see see a problem coming as opposed to reacting to one after the fact.
Oil and water temp is no big deal to add and isn’t expensive, and as I said step one if the buzzer sounds is to determine if the problem exists, and the best way to do that is by temp installing a gauge, so why not permanently install one? Easy to do and isn’t really that expensive either.
Old 16-06-2020, 16:54   #43
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
I was debating installing a master caution on the boat, but I cant figure out a easy way to do it and donít want to get too crazy on my little 2 cylinder diesel lol

That said it failing at the wrong time could kill me just as dead as the pratt shitting the bed
If you already have seperate warning lights for over temperature and low oil pressure then it isn't hard to add a single audile buzzer that operates for when either alarms. As you know that is quite standard!

Now you only need to add a single light wired in parallel with the buzzer. Some buzzers are wired with a disable (or mute) switch. That is fairly close to the "reset" function found on aviation Master Warning and Master Caution circuits.

It is hardly likely you will need reminding of secondary warning failure when you are only monitoring two circuits (temp & pressure) .

If you are really fussy, the mute switch can be "guarded" with a missile switch style cover.

FWIW, my Yanmar panel came standard with a mute switch for the buzzer!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 17:00   #44
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Boat: C.L.O.D.

FWIW, I have just noticed the current VDO Viewline Marine series of gauges incorporates the warning (idiot) lamp within the gauge which is nice touch IMO. Seperate to a gauge function but housed within the gauge.

Discovered this while designing / building a new instrument cluster for a friend' boat. They aren't the cheapest gauge around but it made the custom panel easier to design and build.

I have no affiliation with VDO.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 18:03   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
FWIW, I have just noticed the current VDO Viewline Marine series of gauges incorporates the warning (idiot) lamp within the gauge which is nice touch IMO. Seperate to a gauge function but housed within the gauge.

Discovered this while designing / building a new instrument cluster for a friend' boat. They aren't the cheapest gauge around but it made the custom panel easier to design and build.

I have no affiliation with VDO.
Thanks!!

https://www.vdo-gauges.com/instrumen...-onyx.html?p=2