Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2022, 15:55   #1

Boat: Rafiki 37
What is this lug on the starter? A ground?

See attached pic (click for big)

Starter is a Denso 22800-3852 and I can't find a manual for it anywhere.

The grey wire comes off the top part of the starter and connects to the lug at the bottom part - I thought it was a ground at first, however it appears to be insulated which has thrown me. And I'm not sure why the top part would have to connect to it.

The positive lug is on the other side of the starter.

As to why I care: I'm running a new ground wire to the engine, and if that's the ground lug for the starter I want to connect directly to that.

alctel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 16:05   #2

Re: What is this lug on the starter? A ground?

Positive to the starter motor. There should be one big lug (for the battery connection) and one small connector (for the start signal) on the opposite side of the box. That lower box is the solenoid and gear box, the motor sits above, and gets its positive supply from that lug when the solenoid is activated (negative/ground comes through the body as with most starters).

You can just see the battery positive and start signal connections peaking out on the right side of this photo. The starter is gear-reduced, the motor is separate from the gear box/solenoid.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 16:30   #3

Holy **** thank you, glad I checked. I was convinced that it was the ground lug! I'd identified the batt+ and ignition lugs on the other side so figured it must be the negative... Didn't realize the bottom part was the solenoid.

Thanks again!
Old 11-05-2022, 16:33   #4

Just because I'd already done it (bored afternoon I guess):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter.png
Views:	93
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	257614

It's an "offset gear reduction starter" (OGRS) so the motor and gearbox end up as two separate pieces.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 19:42   #5

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

Good that you didnt ground that lug! Would have let all the magic smoke out of the cables!
Old 12-05-2022, 18:48   #6

Boat: Morgan 34

Does this forum rock or what?
chriswheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 09:56   #7

You really need to get the maintenance manual for the starter you intend to use. Commercial starters like the 42MT/39MT Remy Borg Warner and similar Denso models have many features, including isolated grounds and starter overload protection that uses a heat sensor in the starter to disable the solenoid if the starter overheats, that sensor is in the ground return for the solenoid. incorrectly connected it will be dead right out of the box.
As in all things electrical, get the maintenance manual and you will never regret the effort.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 22:52   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleman View Post
You really need to get the maintenance manual for the starter you intend to use. Commercial starters like the 42MT/39MT Remy Borg Warner and similar Denso models have many features, including isolated grounds and starter overload protection that uses a heat sensor in the starter to disable the solenoid if the starter overheats, that sensor is in the ground return for the solenoid. incorrectly connected it will be dead right out of the box.
As in all things electrical, get the maintenance manual and you will never regret the effort.
If ya can point me at it it'd be great, I scoured the internet for a day or so.

Have the service manual (and parts list!) for my engine and the transmission, but can't find anything for the starter.
alctel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2022, 04:30   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

DENSO Downloads ➥ https://www.denso-am.eu/downloads

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote