Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2019, 18:28   #16

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch
Re: What is this “LF” cap/knob?

Nope, magnetic float and reed switches. Old School. Works with standard automotive gauge.
Bill Seal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2019, 23:56   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
and since I only use about 1- 1.5 gallons per day sail, there's no way I could keep track.
Bill, I don't understand this! If you have an engine hour meter (and you should), and you know your average burn rate, it is easy to keep track of consumption. The length of your daily usage doesn't enter into the calculation at all... just the total hours since filling up.

I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that your (and Pilot's) fuel gages are accurate. All the one's I've ever had were moody to say the least, and pretty damn inaccurate as well.
Much of the difficulty lies in the peculiar shapes that boat tanks often have. Calibration can be tricky!

I reckon that if they've mastered the fuel gage, the cure for the common cold will soon be in hand as well!

Jim
Old 01-09-2019, 10:33   #18

There is another reason for the access port. In my area, N. Florida ) with temp changes and humid air, one can build up water in the tank ( condensation, water in fuel, etc. ) With water in the tank, in our climate, algae or more properly, bacteria, can grow in the tank. ( they live in the water and eat fuel ) That is why the fuel intake line is usually up off the bottom of the tank. You may want to open the tank and suck the gunk off the bottom periodically.
georgeg305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:49   #19

Just for your information the "LF" on the plug signifies the material is Lead Free.
lvictorlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 17:20   #20

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

If you are willing to spend a few more bucks, try the TankTender. No moving parts (at least not in the tank) and they are dead accurate. You can use the same unit for multiple tanks, both water and diesel. No need to open the tank to make a measurement, no electrical parts to corrode. Very simple installation. Can even get a kit to use it for a holding tank.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 18:30   #21

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

"If you have an engine hour meter (and you should), and you know your average burn rate, it is easy to keep track of consumption. The length of your daily usage doesn't enter into the calculation at all... just the total hours since filling up."

I agree completely with Jim. I'm a coastal cruiser and haven't used my fuel gage for years. I keep a log of fill-ups (inc date, quantity of diesel, & engine hours) and regularly calculate average consumption. In my case, that means that I've used half a tank if I've run 25 hours since the last fill-up.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 19:57   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
I think it might be called a "capacitive fuel quantity " probe.
Another name that my automotive unit went by was "floatless fuel sending unit". They come in varying lengths and I calibrated mine to drive a standard 0-90 ohm fuel gauge.
NPCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote