Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2021, 22:17   #1

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
What Is This Bracket On My Freshwater Pump Pully?

I’ve seen hundreds of pictures and diagrams online and in manuals but there is none with this setup. It looks like similar metal to the dual belt pulley so I was thinking it came with that system. But I don’t see the brackets purpose. Main problem is I can’t change my belts with it on, and I’m not sure the easiest/best method to move it for belt changing purposes.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18EFBD18-6707-41CB-9014-EB636D2EA2E8.jpeg
Views:	361
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	235254  
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 22:48   #2

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: What Is This Bracket On My Freshwater Pump Pully?

I'm guessing here, but it looks like a support to reduce side load. Maybe the axle wasn't designed to take the load of a two belt pulley.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 23:01   #3

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA

Seems like a good guess. I’m not seeing much when I do a google search for it. Do you have any specific terms I could use for searching? It seems to actually run all the way over to the heat exchanger and bolts to the top under the filler cap, which makes it seem like a more integrated part. (To be able to bolt on under the filer cap)

Thanks
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 02:12   #4

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

I'd guess that it's a support to drive something off the waterpump pulley, maybe an A/C compressor or additional alternator. Is there a keyed or tanged or splined shaft running in the hole in the center?

Or it could be just an engineering solution to allow for higher-than-normal side loads
on the w/p. Do you have a supersized alternator?

It might be possible to remove the whole thing, but that pulley looks pretty massive and it may need the support to avoid premature failure of the waterpump bearings.

If your engine is common, you may be able to find the 'original' pulley to replace the one you have now if you can determine if the extra support is unnecessary.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 08:16   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Just looking at the system, I'll bet that if you loosen the two interior nuts you'll be able to back the threaded shaft out so that you can replace the belts.

+1 on it absorbing side load.
Old 26-03-2021, 08:30   #6

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

It looks like the belt is on inside out. Usually the kerfed side goes in towards the pulley.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 08:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
It looks like the belt is on inside out. Usually the kerfed side goes in towards the pulley.

Naw, that's just a common Goodyear gater-back V-belt. That was a high-end belt in the V-belt days.
Looks like Rube Goldberg designed that pulley thrust load setup. That pulley appears to have been designed for it.

Wonder what the bearing is like and how a tech is supposed to adjust it? You need a "pulley side load adjustment service manual ", available from Goldberg Press.

God luck with your vessel!
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 09:39   #8

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

My first thought was that you could back off the nuts on the bar a d just remove it. But that doesn’t seem possible as there is no additional threads to allow that. So I suggest while you have the time it should be taken apart and cleaned up and figured out before it actually needs to be done ASAP.

Likely the top nut comes off the bar and then the upper bracket removed from the attachment points in the block and the belts slipped over the bar then the pulleys. It is recommended to replace dual belts in pairs.

If it is a V belt pulley the belts are indeed inside out. Maybe PO could not find the right size.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 09:51   #9

Umm, no, they're not 'inside out'. Those are known as 'top cog' or 'notched' V-belts. They are slightly more flexible than 'standard' vbelts and therefore slightly more efficient and purportedly run a little cooler than the standard ones.
Old 26-03-2021, 09:56   #10

Boat: Pearson 530

Having a similar (not the same) issue, I added two more pairs of belts which I tied neatly away from heat and moving parts. That will save time on the next two belt changes.

PS I bought 10 belts and chose four that were close to the same size and sent six back to NAPA.
Old 26-03-2021, 10:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstano View Post
Having a similar (not the same) issue, I added two more pairs of belts which I tied neatly away from heat and moving parts. That will save time on the next two belt changes.

PS I bought 10 belts and chose four that were close to the same size and sent six back to NAPA.
Apparently the NAPA store employees don't know it, but matched sets of belts are available from most belt manufacturers. You have to specify that you want a 'matched set'.

"Under the RMA standards, the acceptable length spread for a matched set of belts increases with increasing belt length. It ranges from a single match number (0.15" maximum length spread) on belts under 63" in length up to six consecutive match numbers (0.90" maximum length spread) on belts over 500" in length."

https://ww2.gates.com/IF/facts/documents/Gf000194.pdf
Old 26-03-2021, 10:21   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
I’ve seen hundreds of pictures and diagrams online and in manuals but there is none with this setup. It looks like similar metal to the dual belt pulley so I was thinking it came with that system. But I don’t see the brackets purpose. Main problem is I can’t change my belts with it on, and I’m not sure the easiest/best method to move it for belt changing purposes.

Thanks
It appears to be a bearing to take to load off of the pumps bearing. Original equipment? i doubt it. I'd remove it and put it back on after a belts change .Notice the "belts" buy a factory set.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 12:00   #13

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

Thanks jimbunyard. Learn something every day.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 14:24   #14
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

My WAG...

Coolant pumps are rarely (if ever?) twin pulley and therefore their bearings are designed only for the side loads of a single pulley.

Engine has been modified (perhaps by the manufacturer) for twin belts which for some reason has included the coolant pump pulleys. Presumably a large frame alternator or some such.

Therefore the side loads on coolant pump bearings would exceed design limits.

Hence this bracket has been provided to accomodate the increased side load on the coolant pump bearings.

Again - WAG
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 16:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
Thanks
This is a backyard installation, very good idea. Designed to take off lateral load of the water pump bearing. The installer was probably paranoid with having two belts on the water pump to run a heavier alternator? Who knows... The belts are notched on the outside, designed that way for better grip and cooling and are more flexible to bite better. Back to the water pump, the bearing is a very though bearing made to handle double belts and other things.
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump