Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2018, 10:42   #16

Boat: Island Packet 40 cutter
Re: What is the Proper Technique for Tapping an NPT Thread.

NEVER TAP CAST DRY! Use some kind of cutting fluid. Any kind is better than no kind
Capt. Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:46   #17

Boat: Island Packet 40 cutter

One more thing,if your chasing old threads they could BPT meaning British Pipe Thread.which is a metric
Capt. Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:50   #18

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

Helpful infoClick image for larger version

Name:	1-8 NPT.PNG
Views:	406
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	167632
artisanmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:35   #19

Just a thought/trivia on NPT threads.
NPT stands for National Pipe Thread. NPT is an "American" Standard for tapered threads. The engine on my Catalina 30 is a Universal M-25. This is really a Kubota block. The tapers on the Kubota block holes are "JIS" ( Japanese Industrial Standard ) and are different than NPT. BPT stands for British Pipe Thread. BPT is compatibile with JIS. NAPA sells BPT to NPT and NPT to BPT adapter fittings.
I discovered this when I wanted to put an oil pressure gage on my M-25 and not just be content with the pressure switch which is set around 5-7 psi. Normal pressure is around 50 psi.
georgeg305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 13:29   #20

Boat: Coast 30

Here I write to give a bit of historical information,

Decades ago the teaching was to turn a tap forward a turn or two and then back it off too break the chip. During the late 1970's better manufacturing methods were developed to grind clearance on taps So the instruction by Union Butterfield tools was to turn to depth or all the way through turning in the same direction. Because backing off to break the chip was no longer necessary.

Now of course in the case of Pipe threads fitting is necessary. so removal of the tap several times for testing for fit becomes the exception to the rule.

The Victorian tradesmen that I apprenticed with taught this rhyme concerning the use of cutting fluids.

Oil on wrought, nothing on brass.
kerosene on ally, nothing on cast.

*Oil on wrought (also meaning steel's)

The fact is that If a fluid is used on Cast iron the swarf turns to the consistency of mud. Cast Iron has such a high quantity of graphite in it that it acts as a dry lubricant. Thus vacuuming or blowing away the dust with an air line will give a clean thread for a more accurate fit.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 15:05   #21
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Hack View Post
NEVER TAP CAST DRY! Use some kind of cutting fluid. Any kind is better than no kind
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post

The Victorian tradesmen that I apprenticed with taught this rhyme concerning the use of cutting fluids.

Oil on wrought, nothing on brass.
kerosene on ally, nothing on cast.

*Oil on wrought (also meaning steel's)

The fact is that If a fluid is used on Cast iron the swarf turns to the consistency of mud. Cast Iron has such a high quantity of graphite in it that it acts as a dry lubricant. Thus vacuuming or blowing away the dust with an air line will give a clean thread for a more accurate fit.
Hmm... conflicting advice
Anyone want to suggest which is best?

We are talking cast iron in this instance, not cast alloy.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 15:25   #22

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Hmm... conflicting advice
Why, fancy that! Hardly a thread goes by without that cropping up. So, in the long run the decision lies on your ability to sort wheat from chaff, Wottie... the buck stops in your capable hands.

My thought? I suspect that much of the general advice from pros is driven by wanting high production speeds. For your case, with careful approach and slow speeds it won't matter much whether you lube or go dry. I've done both with reasonable success... but I always use some sort of sealant just in case! And I doubt if there is a lot of difference in success rate between different brands. I usually use good ole Permatex #3. Shows my age, I guess!

Jim
Old 04-04-2018, 16:43   #23

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

always cut cast iron dry...
artisanmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 17:14   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Why, fancy that! Hardly a thread goes by without that cropping up.

Pun intended??

So, in the long run the decision lies on your ability to sort wheat from chaff, Wottie... the buck stops in your capable hands.

My thought? I suspect that much of the general advice from pros is driven by wanting high production speeds. For your case, with careful approach and slow speeds it won't matter much whether you lube or go dry. I've done both with reasonable success... but I always use some sort of sealant just in case! And I doubt if there is a lot of difference in success rate between different brands. I usually use good ole Permatex #3. Shows my age, I guess!

Jim
I just had a quick look on my sealants shelf, leaving aside the silicone stuff etc, I can choose between Loctite 222; No.3; 515; Cyberbond TM44; Stag Jointing paste; Hylomar universal jointing compound and an old tin of Flexment. One of them gotta work . At least none of these fitting will be under pressure
The Stag will probably get the nod for this job.

I see you have made Eden, looks like you are making good time, I hope it continues this way for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Hack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisanmach View Post
always cut cast iron dry...
Hey Jim, maybe I should take the one capitals, they must account for something
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 04-04-2018, 17:53   #25
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I'm enjoying this Thread!
(Pun intended)
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 22:36   #26

Boat: Coast 30

Wotname you asked Anyone want to suggest which is best?....I have already told you. and artisanMach whom I do not know is perfectly correct.
in the machine shop all grey cast iron is machined dry. During the process of drilling the tapping sized hole you will have no difficulty identifying grey cast iron because the drill will make dust.

Now the only exception to this is a casting made of Ductile iron also marketed under the term semi steel. Drilling this could produce a swaff as seen when drilling steel. While it is very unlikely that you engine block is made from this, unless it has cylinder liners, should you come across it then Yes you should use rapid tap or some other cutting fluid.

As an engineers Pattern maker I apprenticed in a general engineering works in Britain 1966 to 1971 it was run by tradesmen long past normal retirement age. Some born in the 1880's it was a requirement to work in all departments, Core making, sand molding, casting both ferrous and Non ferrous metals, machining, fitting, and forging. including fire welding, which I did before learning to use oxyacetylene & arch welding, We also did plug making for fiberglass moulds. I have also worked in about five different boat building companies during times when the demand for foundry work was slow here on the west coast. So I have taken a life time interest in trades and manufacturing processes. Do what you will with the advice given.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:58   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
in the machine shop all grey cast iron is machined dry. During the process of drilling the tapping sized hole you will have no difficulty identifying grey cast iron because the drill will make dust.

Now the only exception to this is a casting made of Ductile iron also marketed under the term semi steel. Drilling this could produce a swaff as seen when drilling steel. While it is very unlikely that you engine block is made from this, unless it has cylinder liners, should you come across it then Yes you should use rapid tap or some other cutting fluid..........
I love detail. Thanks for the explanation of the different types of "cast iron" and yes, the engine does have a wet liner so I will be observing the drill debris with a sharp eye.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:27   #28

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

I tap a lot. Plenty of NPT in my tap drawer up to 2.5"

My thoughts:

Use proper drill bit esp with NPT threads, creates a fair amount of force to tap tapered.

Tap cast iron dry, use tapping fluid on everything else. Anyone telling you to use lube on cast iron has not worked in a machine shop. Always tap, drill and machine cast iron dry. Old timers would use bacon grease if they felt the need. Cast contains graphite which acts as lubricant. You want to back the tap out 1/2 turn often and that's to clear the chips/dust which can cause tap to bind.

Use a proper tap handle if you can find one. A crescent wrench is a sure way to tap crooked

Don't tap full depth with NPT. I usually stop 3-4 threads before bottoming out tap and then check my fitting.

I use Loctite 592 & 567 thread sealants. If there is a better pipe sealant I haven't found it yet. Both rated to 400 degrees.

The dust/chips created by tapping is not something you want in your engine. Remove component if possible. If not possible, use heavy grease on threads (see tap lube lol) to catch chips
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 16:51   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
I tap a lot. Plenty of NPT in my tap drawer up to 2.5"

My thoughts:

Use proper drill bit esp with NPT threads, creates a fair amount of force to tap tapered.

Tap cast iron dry, use tapping fluid on everything else. Anyone telling you to use lube on cast iron has not worked in a machine shop. Always tap, drill and machine cast iron dry. Old timers would use bacon grease if they felt the need. Cast contains graphite which acts as lubricant. You want to back the tap out 1/2 turn often and that's to clear the chips/dust which can cause tap to bind.

Use a proper tap handle if you can find one. A crescent wrench is a sure way to tap crooked

Don't tap full depth with NPT. I usually stop 3-4 threads before bottoming out tap and then check my fitting.

I use Loctite 592 & 567 thread sealants. If there is a better pipe sealant I haven't found it yet. Both rated to 400 degrees.

The dust/chips created by tapping is not something you want in your engine. Remove component if possible. If not possible, use heavy grease on threads (see tap lube lol) to catch chips
Thanks.

It looks like we are getting a broad consensus to tap cast iron dry (except for cast ductile iron as mentioned by coastalexplorer)

I note gotta agree about the removal of the debris, right now the block is naked, absolutely bare, not even the liner is in and it will remain that way until the job is done!
Old 19-06-2018, 00:48   #30

Job is finally completed!

A BIG thank you to those who advised to drill / tap cast iron DRY. I was amazed how easy it was. I have drilled and taped hundreds of holes in Al, mild steel, SS (304 & 316) but today was the first time in cast iron. Both drilling and tapping was a piece of cake!
FWIW, the cast iron head was much easier than the sump plug. The sensors fitted are temperature sensors (oil & water) for a custom set of temperature gauges.

I have worked a way around having the sensors penetrating the sump or the water jacket so the swarf issue was a non event.

Again for the advice offered in this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3367.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	172053   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3369.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	172054  

Tags
rope