Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2022, 17:57   #46

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: What is the Absolute Lightest Propulsion Available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I'd expect you'd want the widest and probably deepest sides Jon you could find for stability reasons. It's probably also possible to rig a cradle to lay it down into to get the weight lower. But the bike standing is no worse than 2 more people in the boat from a stability perspective, I think.
Although it’s the same as two people standing. And then the boat tipping a little bit and having them stumble toward the side that things are tipping toward. Have you tried to hold a motorcycle up when it starts to go over? Just out of curiosity. So you can understand that force that would go into trying to capsize the boat with it upright? I’d feel a lot better with it already down.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 18:02   #47

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Although it’s the same as two people standing. And then the boat tipping a little bit and having them stumble toward the side that things are tipping toward. Have you tried to hold a motorcycle up when it starts to go over? Just out of curiosity. So you can understand that force that would go into trying to capsize the boat with it upright? I’d feel a lot better with it already down.
I'm thinking that if it's braced to keep it from tipping, the center of gravity is probably similar to people sitting. You'd want the braces positioned so the bike doesn't move sideways at all once it's fully lowered into them. People are pretty top heavy sitting in a small boat, so I wouldn't expect the CoG of the bike to be much higher. Of course you could always build the supports to lay the bike down, but then you have to stand it back up for unloading on shore.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 18:04   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpi View Post
Well, buy a packraft strap it to the bike and throw it into the water. In the the absence of a crane that's about the only method available to you, push it over the side of the tramp. If the raft is big enough it won't sink even if it gets some water inside. I suppose the bike is already salt water proofed and won't mind the occasional wave. To power it look for an outboard mount designed for inflatable transoms, looks like a curved ladder you strap over the tube. The Avon RedCrest had such a thing but I don't know if a RedCrest will float your bike. If yes you are in luck, they are hypalon and not very expensive (only available used).

The Takacat comes in a heavy duty version with reinforced sides and floor to take the abuse of heavy equipment. You have to ask about it, they are buildt to order. You can also specify any arrangement of strapping points you like. Just make sure you sit down when they tell you the price.

Any air floor inflatable will simply bend when you move the load, if you want to make sure just lower the air pressure a little.
Thanks for hanging in there. And taking into account the likes and dislikes. I appreciate it.

But, like I said in the large post, I will be using a gin pole to lower it into the water. Definitely still a pack raft however. Or just some cheap piece of crap raft. Really not that different. Whatever is lightweight and cheap. Because it only hast to float the motorcycle shore.

Take a read of the large post I made where I revealed the plan. You’ll see that I have already accounted for everything here that you are talking about. The crane, how to lift the motorcycle and have it land in the water in the proper orientation, how to attach it to the pack raft or similar. It’s all been put in this thread on the first page. The very large post I made where I described everything.

And the outboard raft mount is exactly what I was going to use.

But the point of this thread is none of this. The point of this thread is I am trying to find out what is the lightest propulsion method I can use. That was the question.

I was trying to figure out what to stick on the back of that raft to push it.

It seems like an antique outboard of one or 2 hp would be the best. Maybe a Weedwhacker engine. Now, I have had another idea with the logistics, and that is just leaving behind this raft and Outboard. Hiding them. Tying them and chaining them to a tree. Leaving them in the bushes.

If they are cheap enough, I won’t be too worried if they get stolen. If they are light enough, I can even put them on the bike temporarily and move them over to an area where they probably won’t get stolen. Some thing a little bit more out of the way.

I did already say this further up in the thread, but, it’s worth Saying it again.
Old 20-02-2022, 18:06   #49

The Honda 2.3 and Suzuki 2.5 outboards are both under 30 lbs. I'm not sure even the ancient stuff gets much lighter than that.
Old 20-02-2022, 18:08   #50

Quote:
I'm thinking that if it's braced to keep it from tipping, the center of gravity is probably similar to people sitting. You'd want the braces positioned so the bike doesn't move sideways at all once it's fully lowered into them. People are pretty top heavy sitting in a small boat, so I wouldn't expect the CoG of the bike to be much higher. Of course you could always build the supports to lay the bike down, but then you have to stand it back up for unloading on shore.
OK, I see what you are saying. But, the tricky part is when the waves come from the beam. And the thing starts rocking side to side. The amount of force a motorcycle puts on a boat to roll it is really high. I think a lot higher than some people in it. Because it doesn’t react to the tipping motion. People kind of tip back away from the lower side of the boat. The motorcycle will just keep going. Until the boat is submerged enough on that side to counteract the force of the motorcycle or it capsizes.

But yeah. You’d have to stand it back up to get it off that type of boat. Which is why I kind of like the raft better. Because the raft doesn’t weigh anything. So you can just stand the motorcycle right up when you get to the waters edge. And then just untie the raft. One trip.
Old 20-02-2022, 18:09   #51

Quote:
The Honda 2.3 and Suzuki 2.5 outboards are both under 30 lbs. I'm not sure even the ancient stuff gets much lighter than that.
That’s pretty good stuff. That’s kind of what I was looking for. I could see one of those pushing the raft pretty well. And if I did have to move it on the motorcycle, 30 pounds is not really a big deal. But hopefully I could just stash it in the bushes and change it to a tree. Or change it to whatever. Whatever is appropriate.
Old 20-02-2022, 18:14   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Where are you anchored where it is 2 miles to shore?
Everywhere. In most places in the north east USA, all of the harbors are filled. There are no more Anchorages in many inner harbors. It’s just jampacked with mornings. Plus, I don’t feel like sitting next to everybody listening to their music and all of the loud noises. I like to be out there. So I anchor out of the harbor usually. Way out there. Do you know when you are looking out from land and you see all the boats and there’s one boat way out at the end? That’s me.

I mean, there will be plenty of cases where it is much shorter than that. 1/4 mile, even less. But I want to plan for the cases where it is a bit longer of a run in. Remember the boat I have also. 50‘ x 25‘. Not easy to get into a lot of places. So I will be relegated to the outer harbor all the time. I’m thinking of one place I like to visit on my way up into Maine. Freeport. Where L.L. Bean is from. I typically anchor out in a different part of the estuary and take the dinghy in to the Haraseeket river To go ashore.

I would like to plan for things like this.
Old 20-02-2022, 18:18   #53

As a thought, in some areas there may be a marina with dinghy storage or something for people that keep their boats there. Some of those places might let you leave a dinghy for a few bucks a day. Definitely won't be an option everywhere though.
Old 20-02-2022, 18:35   #54

Quote:
As a thought, in some areas there may be a marina with dinghy storage or something for people that keep their boats there. Some of those places might let you leave a dinghy for a few bucks a day. Definitely won't be an option everywhere though.
It’s possible, but I’m definitely planning for the “leave no trace” situation since most of the places you can go ashore don’t allow overnight storage of boats.
Old 20-02-2022, 18:48   #55

Boat: boatles ,first time in 50 yrs.

roll up with beach weals & electric out board for a 2 mile trip .
billnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 19:13   #56

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

Takacat open bow rollup, 44lb sportsfisher troll motor with lithium 30ah battery, but probably too much to cart on a motorcycle...I'd check out the locals & see if I could store it with one of them...pay them a bit of drinking silver..especially if your'e away for a while...
Bent Bugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 19:24   #57

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

I haven't read the entire thread but has anyone mentioned a foldable trailer for your M/C. With this and a inflatable dinghy with outboard, you could go anywhere.
Old 20-02-2022, 19:36   #58

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:

I have a 1960s era Johnson 3hp that is 28 pounds. Historically there were a few 2hp outboards that were slightly lighter but not much (2-3 pounds).
Old 20-02-2022, 19:54   #59

Boat: Amigo 23

That is a solved problem: a packraft. The lightest ones weight in at about 2-3 kg, so perfectly ok in a largish day-pack. Originally intended for adventure backpackers who needed to cross un-fordable rivers in Alaska (people have paddled class IV rapids in them...). You can get a spray deck and a twin (kayak) style paddle.

I plan to get one to use as a dinghy in my 23' Amigo.
ParL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 20:20   #60

Boat: Gemini 105M, 34

Over the years I have had several (9) 2 hp 2 stroke Johnson/Evenrude outboards. 11 pounds, integral tank, start on first pull. Several have come off the boat (only one holding bolt and reverse is by turning the engine around) and sunk while running. Remove the 4 head screws, push the head gasket back in, replace head and start. They are easy to find as pretty old now but can still get parts and really reliable.
captnknopf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propulsion