Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2020, 08:38   #1

Boat: Columbia 10.7
What gauges for Yanmar?

I have a Yanmar 2QM20 on my boat. The instrument panel has a fuel gauge, a tachometer that does not work and an oil pressure idiot light and buzzer that also doesn't work.

This year I plan on building a new panel and adding some other gauges. I bought a new tachometer a while ago. My idea is to get a temperature gauge and an oil pressure gauge, too.

Is that a good plan? Should I consider other gauges too? Analog? Digital?

Does anyone recommend specific products for that engine? Should I also consider an ammeter?
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:29   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: What gauges for Yanmar?

All engines are alike on this. The sensors (oil pressure and cooling water temperature) and gauges therefor are readily available at an auto parts store. You'll find 1/8" pipe threads in places around your engine for this. Add a voltmeter to monitor your alternator/battery. Whether you go with analog gauges or digital, and whether in a cluster or even fed into your heads up display is your choice. If you have panel space and want analog gauges, do what airplanes used to do and orient them so that the normal reading for every gauge is straight up.

Tags
yanmar