Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2019, 08:15   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27
Re: What Diesel Engine repairs should one know how to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH View Post
It is not just an issue of spare parts. Make sure you can access all of the components and their mounting nuts, bolts etc. Some may be inaccessible without a long socket extension or may need a special tool. Accessing the engine side of a 4-108 injection pump for example.
I think this is a very good point.
During the learning process make a note of the tools you are using.
And if you can make up a special engine repair tool kit would be a good idea so you do not need to hunt around looking for that special tool.

I have read a story about a cruiser who developed an entire ships maintenance book with photos, parts list and tool list for each job he performed.
Sounds like a good idea.
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 19:56   #32

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

In addition to parts, I have a shop manual and "Marine Diesel Engines: Maintenance, Troubleshooting, and Repair" Calder, Nigel
Old 19-03-2019, 20:59   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I have fondled.... er, that is touched every piece, nut and bolt on my yanmar. A small band type oil filter wrench, makes a dandy ring compressor. Used the boom vane and main sheet block and tackles to remove and install the rebuilt engine (rebuilt in the cockpit by a crazy blonde). Had a couple of strong guys help with the heavy lifting.

I've rebuilt the water pump">raw water pump twice, last with a new shaft. that's in addition to impeller replacements, which has been lots. Oil seals and bearing are cheap on amazon. The shaft is spendy at Depco, but still cheaper then a new pump.

Installed a new discharge elbow after 3 hours hammering pipe wrenches on a dock to break the %^&* threads free. this would be easier for guys.

I replaced the rusty/leaky external oil line with $2 dollars of 3/32" copper tube with 10% silver soldered using the stove top flame as a propane torch.

Of course changing filters and belts, and hoses now and then.

Also changing engine mounts and realigning the prop shaft (a royal pain).

I learned shade tree mechanic's under a shade tree in southern Georgia from my dad growing up. I was his gofer. I had a 71 VW Micro BUS that I molested as well.

Tools was a cheap metric socket set, metric wrench set, a few deep sockets (15,17,19), one fabricated 36mm socket ($110) with 6" depth, a 18" long breaker bar with cheater and a really good torque wrench. Plus screwdrivers, feeler gauges, micrometer and lots of rags, baggies with black marker to put each assembly nuts, bolts and washers in.

Having a selection of gasket papers of different sizes helps, though some the the yanmar gaskets are required (timing case, oil pan, rear bearing carrier, etc.

Shop manuals are good to have as well.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 21:18   #34

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Shop manuals are priceless.
A gear puller is a good thing to have in your tool set.
A deep seated appreciation that your engine (and most things on your boat) aren't maliciously enjoying tormenting you, but are just inanimate assemblies of components that have their own logic to each of them.
And yes - some of them can maim you and they don't respond to screams. De-power, de-energize, de-activate before you start working on them.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 16:36   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Good thread with good suggestions. I'd add tube/tubes of silicone & Loctite 515 or 518 flange sealant or similar. The only gasket we have on our Yanmar is the head gasket, all the other faces are sealed with silicone or flange sealant.( Refuse to pay Yanmar prices for gaskets) Have zero oil leaks but I'm practiced at doing this. Best way with silicone is put a thin smear on one face & allow to go off before bolting up or if urgent to put back in service use 518. Keep silicone in freezer if you are fulltime liveaboard.
Saves making gaskets.
Only problem with this method is if clearances on the case rely on gasket thickness to be correct so you have to be aware of that.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 14:29   #36

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
...external oil line with $2 dollars of 3/32" copper tube with 10% silver soldered using the stove top flame as a propane torch... Having a selection of gasket papers of different sizes helps... Shop manuals are good to have as well.

I made a lot of gaskets with Gasket Paper and an exacto-knife. Hardware and auto parts stores have assortments of tubing and O-rings. I once used battery acid to clean the area I needed to solder during a winter-night snow storm. I think doing my own basic maintenance is good practice for knowing my way around the engine.
Old 22-03-2019, 15:35   #37

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

best tool in your toolbox is a thorough knowledge of, and confidence in the sailing capabilities of your boat, know what you can and, more importantly, can't do under sail.
Dont get me wrong, I love my little diesel donkey but it does like to have its bit of a joke on me, particularly when in a bit of a critical situation.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 16:05   #38

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
Troubleshooting would be very high on the list.
I agree. The ability to reasonably accurately diagnose problems is likely to get them fixed quicker and cheaper. Just using your somewhat uninformed mechcanics skills doesn't necessarily improve the situation. Fortunately modern marine diesels are very reliable beasts.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 22:46   #39

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

As many as possible.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 05:18   #40

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioC View Post
As a related question for those of you who know how to do:
how did you learn? By trial and error? Did you have a friend who showed you? Did you hire a mechanic to show you? Did you take a class?

I have read a couple of the usual books on diesel engines, and I am at least familiar with the parts and their operation, but when it comes to actually performing some of these repairs, it is still challenging, especially on the parts that are very difficult to access, then you do not quite have the right tool, etc. Mechanics of course have figure it all out, but with trial and error the learning curve is steep...

Search your engine type and the repair you want to learn on YouTube. You'll usually find an instructional video.

Most repairs are a LOT easier than repair shops would have you think. Watch a few videos and be amazed at how easy it all is.

Just be sure to understand the basic principles of how the engine and all its components work. Because doing the repair isn't hard. Diagnosing the problem is hard. And you need to know exactly how the engine works (and get the service manual) to make a proper diagnosis. Wrong diagnosed means doing the wrong repair and wasting time and money.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 08:17   #41

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioC View Post
As a related question for those of you who know how to do:
how did you learn? By trial and error? Did you have a friend who showed you? Did you hire a mechanic to show you? Did you take a class?

I have read a couple of the usual books on diesel engines, and I am at least familiar with the parts and their operation, but when it comes to actually performing some of these repairs, it is still challenging, especially on the parts that are very difficult to access, then you do not quite have the right tool, etc. Mechanics of course have figure it all out, but with trial and error the learning curve is steep...
A very good question. Between my wife and myself we have six university degrees (her's in engineering) and not one class of diesel mechanics. We learned from books, from friends, and when you hire a mechanic for a job hang over their shoulder if they don't mind. Many of those we encountered were quite happy to teach as they worked. For the standard things mentioned you don't need a bunch of odd tools. Ask someone who has the same brand of engine.
Old 24-03-2019, 12:07   #42

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

poverty is a great teacher - spend half your life trying to keep old wrecks, that no mechanic will agree to fix for you, going. But courses are ok too, and the online thing is also pretty damn helpful. things that can only be learned from experience - patience.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 13:27   #43

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Search your engine type and the repair you want to learn on YouTube. You'll usually find an instructional video.

Most repairs are a LOT easier than repair shops would have you think. Watch a few videos and be amazed at how easy it all is.
And download them, put them on tablet or phone so you can watch them as you do the job in remote areas with no reception.

Same for splices, electrical, and and and
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 16:06   #44

How did you learn anything else in life?
I'm not trying to be a wise guy.
Everybody picks stuff up differently and in different ways for different things.

I personally dislike videos, prefer books and pictures. It's the way I find I learn best.
I write down tips&tricks I've used in my engine maintenance log.
I contribute to my boat's owners association website and store information there and provide links to other folks so they don't have to reinvent the wheel.
The ONLY engine YOU need to know about is the one in your boat.
Three days after I bought our boat with a slight overheating issue described by the PO I removed and serviced the HX! I did my homework. Had never owned a diesel engine before on boats, always outboards.
I built up a repertoire, like playing an instrument.
I keep saying that "By the time I got good at doing something I don't have to do it again for quite a while."
You'll get there.
Inch by inch, row by row...
Good luck, all the best.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 20:21   #45

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

My own history of doing new-to-me boat jobs shows that by the time I finish the job, I know what I should have known before I started. Sometimes that knowledge was expensive...

Jim

Tags
diesel, engine, repairs