Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2012, 09:51   #31

Re: What About a V Drive?

I guess I dont get it... how could you pull the shaft inwards? you mean remove the transmission?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 10:13   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I guess I dont get it... how could you pull the shaft inwards? you mean remove the transmission?
On some v-drives, like the Hurth, the shaft passes through the entire gear box so it can be slid out "into" the boat... I can pull our shaft with coupling in place in under ten minutes including removal of the prop.. The entire shaft come right out with the coupling still attached, a nice feature....

Old 20-09-2012, 10:29   #33

(revised) That's cool... I had a V Hurth and the coupling was under the transmission. After some thinking, I guess it did have that ability...? Not sure why they put the coupling in the small space under the transmission if it did though....The Yanmar V drives I had were different I think....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 10:12   #34

Boat: Niagara 31

[QUOTE=Maine Sail;1040399]On some v-drives, like the Hurth, the shaft passes through the entire gear box so it can be slid out "into" the boat... I can pull our shaft with coupling in place in under ten minutes including removal of the prop.. The entire shaft come right out with the coupling still attached, a nice feature....]

Firstly, thank you for your link to the guides. Wonderful !!

However, in the PSS installation guide it mentions putting a new coupling on the shaft when re-assembling. If you slide the shaft into the boat the coupling is still attached. Do you then recommend taking the coupling off the shaft and replacing it with a new "split-coupling" ?

Secondly, how do you adjust for vibration in the shaft ? I had a Hurth technician do this for me in Miami, when the transmission was re-built, but I didn't concentrate enough on what he was doing, and all this "engine" stuff in a sailing boat was new to me then !
macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 18:46   #35

Actually, I thought I had room to bring the coupling and shaft into the boat, but on very close inspection this afternoon, I see I wouldn't have enough clearance without cutting out a big section of the floor, something I don't want to do. So I guess, I'm left with having to take off the coupling somehow, and then shove the shaft out towards the stern.

My thoughts are to remove the clamp on the shaft, loosen the small and big nuts on the bronze piece on the shaft, undo the bolts on the coupler, from outside bang the end of the prop forwards to make the coupler separate from the transmission, then use a "puller/pusher" to push the shaft out of the coupler. Or can I undo the nuts on the coupler, and use a "puller/pusher by putting the feet of the "puller/pusher" around the transmission part ?

Thanks for any input - doing this tomorrow .........
Old 23-09-2012, 16:16   #36

I've done it ! Fortunately, the shaft slipped up easily after I had unbolted the coupling, enabling me to put the feet of the gear puller behind the coupling. But there was no way the coupling was coming off that way. So I took off the prop, cut away at the floor a bit, and hey presto, the shaft slid up inside the boat !

Thanks for the guides.
Old 19-12-2012, 16:59   #37

Not a mechanic and reading about v-drives, please explain what PSS means.
Thanks
Deep Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 17:06   #38
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Water View Post
Thanks
I think somebody needs to Google that Seal for you
CeesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 17:25   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Thanks
In this context is probably refers to Packless Shaft Seal. Replacement for a traditional stuffing box.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 17:28   #40

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Thanks
For kicks I googled PSS, didn't help much, but if you know to google pss pyi it helps. Too bad the first response was bad info.

More helpful info:
PSS Shaft Seal: The world’s leading dripless seal.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 17:34   #41
cruiser

V-Drive and PSS your looking for?

Okay Let me google that for you...
CeesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 22:47   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

As someone who just got done removing and reinstalling an engine with a V drive (yanmar), well lets just say I've been cussing the vdrive up a storm. First I had to remove a structural member, so I could slide the v-drive and engine forward enough so the vdrive clears the shaft. Of course I had to pull the prop flange first too.

I can't pull the prop shaft while the boat is in the water as you can't get a puller on my aperture prop. It takes a torch heating the prop and a guy with a big hammer to tap the shaft off the prop. Then the whole shaft comes out to the inside.

In reinstalling the engine, I had to pull the engine/transmission further back so I could tap the prop flange back on. Then pull the engine forward to its final resting spot. You get to avoid all that with a conventional drive

As mentioned access to the packing gland is at best real tight. I use really good graphite teflon packing which is about drip free. I replaced the 4 year old packing which was still fine mainly because it was so easy to do without the transmission over it.

With a conventional in line drive it would have been easy peasy to pull the engine/transmission without all the drama a V drive adds.

So avoid vdrives if possible. But yes they are better then a sail drive, which is an true abomination.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 12:17   #43

Boat: Cal 48 Wainui

One thing to check with a Walters VDrive is that all bolts attaching it are tight because if any get slightly loose the vibration will shear the bolts on the prop coupling which will have to be drilled out to fix. (not easy when underway). I had 3 x #8 bolts go this way.
M
Wainui is offline   Reply With Quote