Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2020, 10:18   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard L38
Westerbekes are tired. Suggestions.

My westerbekes in my Leopard L 38 are starting to burn oil. It looks like Westerbeke as a company is going to be a thing of the past. I know that this forum is full of knowledge and opinions. So let me hear it! All of it. Repower? Rebuild? Repower with???

Phisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 10:35   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Westerbekes are tired. Suggestions.

I’d overhaul if parts are available. Most say contact Beta for replacement, I don’t know how much if any impact your saildrives will be though.

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 11:06   #3

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

As much as I'm not a fan of Westerbeke as a company your engines are based off the Mitsubishi S4L2 block which is widely used as an industrial engine and rebuild kits are inexpensive.

Performing tests like a leak down and compression tests can tell you where the issue is. If it's burning oil could be as simple as a head refresh/redoing valves.

Personally I'd rebuild them as you are way ahead money wise. But I think it's worth the time/effort to see what shape your engines are in before you make a decision.

I have the full factory Mitsubishi service manual in PDF if that's helpful. I also found the parts manual very helpful for finding out cross references to actual Mits parts vs Westerbeke. DM me and I can send you a Drive link

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...build&_sacat=0
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 13:06   #4

Read this parallel thread. He needs to repower his cat as well:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...se-234234.html

Good luck!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 17:42   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I'm with posts 2 & 3 if you are mechanically inclined & can do most of the work yourself. If you pay someone to do the whole job it depends on the ability of the person you hire.

Don't know about saildrives either.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 18:25   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
I'm with posts 2 & 3 if you are mechanically inclined & can do most of the work yourself. If you pay someone to do the whole job it depends on the ability of the person you hire.

Don't know about saildrives either.
Salty Dreams has direct drives. I will do my research and hopefully make the right decision.
Old 19-05-2020, 10:22   #7

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

I have a Westerbeke 42B which is a Mitsubusi block. Just rebuilt the top end and parts were reasonable from Mitsubusi. be careful some parts that you don't think would be are different but for the most part they are the same. As far as the saildrives I can't speak to those as I am direct drive
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 10:23   #8

- The Westerbeke's may be worth repairing or not. I suggest giving some thought as to the less obvious aspects such as how long in years and run hours is that going to add and what will the likely cost of miscellaneous items, maintenance, replacement and repair over that time be ( starters / injector pumps / injectors / heat exchangers / gearboxes etc.

- In my book rebuild is returning everything to OEM specifications and should include an extended run on a dyno. before installation. Everything else is basically a repair and those vary a lot.

- i suggest that you weigh up the costs and advantages to you of new replacement units less the sale price of the used take outs versus the costs of repair or rebuild of the existing units. Often in the long term it is a better choice to replace with new.

- Given that both engines need attention it is likely that at the minimum a quite extensive repair would be appropriate. One issue also is that a careful dismantling and inspection itself in not cheap if done to a good standard and with experience.

- I've presumed that you lack the experience or you would not need to ask for advice. Beta may be appropriate for repower.

- Good luck with the decision making.

Cheers,
Niall.
Niall leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 10:31   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks everyone for the replies. As i stated earlier this is above my pay grade. Changing oil and impellers is not a problem. I guess I want to make sure it is done properly. I will probably have the boat for at least 5 more years.

It is a sailboat and I do prefer to sail. If things open back up I am going to begin a Caribbean circumnavigation and was wanting to prepare as best as possible. I talked to a local mechanic and we are going to do a compression test next week.
Old 19-05-2020, 10:39   #10

Boat: 1981 Morgan Out Island Ketch 41.6

The cost of re-powering over rebuilding is significant. You can get all the parts you need for the Westerbeke / Mitsubusi engines at a very reasonable price.

Options:
1. Keeping the Leopard L 38 for 8-10 or more years: Re-powering makes sense.
2. Keeping the Leopard L 38 for just a few years: Rebuild is a better option.

Re-powering will cost you between $15k to $20k with rebuilding the sail drives.
A quality rebuild of both engines and sail drives can be done for $5k if you do a bit of the dismantling work.
Sailing August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 11:04   #11

Further -
- You haven't mentioned how old in years and hours the engines are.
- With some engines the oil usage may just be due to valve seal issues ( likely just a repair. )
- I'd recommend finding someone whom you trust who has extensive marine engine experience including a knowledge of your model of engine. Then pay them for an hour's consultation and proceed with their advice.
- If they are still around then Mack Boring and Parts would be well worth contacting.
- A compression test with the engines hot is worth doing if the technician is experienced. A leak down test is even better. Both with signed reports.
- If you'd like to discuss then please send me an email to niall1.leslie@gmail.com and we can arrange for a 'phone call.
Cheers,
Niall.
Niall leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 20:21   #12

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Burning oil can also be worn seals on the inlet valve stems. One can fit seals in caps on these valve stems that help to prevent this, and some seals are replaceable without removing the cylinder head to take out the valves.

Also, you may have glazed the cylinder bores. Before you replace the engines, put some catalyst in the diesel fuel, change the oil to a single-grade quality high detergent diesel oil and replace your oil filters. Check fuel filters also, and check that the fuel return pipe from the injector pump is clear and returning fuel to the tank or the tank side of the fuel filters.

Set off on a calm-water trip towing something like a truck tyre as a droque.

Run your engines so that they reach their maximum torque revs, and hold them at such a load until the tank is empty, then repeat. Work them hard but do not overload them so that they do not reach enough revs to attain full power. Make sure that they have their thermostats in the engines--cold engines glaze up bores. You need to make sure as you run them that the engines reach full operating temperature as in the manual. Usually about 180 degrees Fahrenheit give or take ten.

If it is still burning oil after about twenty to thirty hours of hard running using catalyst, then it may be your injectors are worn, still dirty, or leaking..

A compression test will not diagnose a glazed bore. If it was just clogged injectors and a glazed bore, you could be back in business.

In most cats, and in many monohulls, the diesels never work hard enough to keep the cylinder walls clear of carbon glaze because they never run at sufficient revs and at sufficient loads..

There are several fuel catalysts available. One such is
https://costeffective.com.au/product/ftc-decarbonizer/
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 05:03   #13

Hi
Mack Boring & Parts Company – The Power To Go There
John

johnn33 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
westerbeke