Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2021, 17:46   #1

Westerbeke W80 won't start

Circa 1974 Westerbeke W80. It's based on the Leyland 4-98 tractor engine. The issue started out as engine dying after about 5 minutes of running. it did this twice to me. I took this to mean clogged fuel filter, so I replaced the Racor and the main engine filter. After that, the engine wouldn't start at all.

We found coolant in the intake manifold, with no obvious source, no coolant in the oil. I took the head off and had it magnafluxed, no cracks. No cracks in the gasket either but replaced it anyway. I had the exhaust manifold / coolant tank repaired as there was some corrosion that might haven causing coolant to leak into the exhaust (possible source of coolant in the intake?). I also had the injectors rebuilt while everything was out.

I've bled the system and get fuel at all the bleeding points (I have an electric fuel pump I can turn on manually), and I see drips at the injector unions when turning the engine over. I know this is a point of debate, but when I spray (very little) starting fluid it will kick over a little.

I'm at a loss here, did I screw something up when I replaced the filters? What should I check next?
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 16:01   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Westerbeke W80 won't start

Coolant in the intake manifold is an WTF moment. If it's feeding into the cylinders, and I think you can guess that it is, it would (not could, I think) stop your engine from running.

But where is it coming from? My first thought was a crack in the block, but then that would land coolant in the crankcase, not the intake manifold.

Are there other gaskets that cover both a coolant passageway and the intake?

Coul someone familiar with that specific engine speak up?
Old 24-10-2021, 19:58   #3

Re: Westerbeke W80 won't start

I managed to get it running after bleeding the heck out of the fuel system.

As for where the coolant came from, all we can guess it that either A: someone is trying to sabotage me, or B: it leaked from the coolant tank into the exhaust, and backed up through the last cylinder into the intake. Still, it would take a lot of coolant for that to happen considering the volume of the exhaust hose and the muffler.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
westerbeke