Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2020, 21:28   #1

Westerbeke W30 Seized while trying to start

I recently purchased a Cascade 36 sailboat that has a Westerbeke W30 installed. Was told by the previous owners that the engine was started a couple months before I bought it and ran fine. I replaced the alternator because the old one was apparently fried and not present on the engine at the time of purchased. After I had the alternator installed I wanted to see if the engine would crank so I checked the lube oil (full) to the mark carved above the max fill line (actual fill line), Check the transmission oil (full), and the coolant (full). So I decided I would try and crank the engine with the starter to see if it spun freely, when I pressed the start button the crank spun about a quarter turn and then stopped with the starter still trying to turn, I then tried using a wrench to turn the crank shaft, no success. Then a breaker bar to turn the crank shaft, no success. Do Westerbeke W30 have a cylinder decompression lever, could the water pump or transmission have seized. I pulled the valve cover, rockers, and the valve springs, The valves move freely up and down( my initial thought was maybe timing was off because crank turn a quarter turn then froze). any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
augustsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 22:23   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Westerbeke W30 Seized while trying to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustsam View Post
I recently purchased a Cascade 36 sailboat that has a Westerbeke W30 installed. Was told by the previous owners that the engine was started a couple months before I bought it and ran fine. I replaced the alternator because the old one was apparently fried and not present on the engine at the time of purchased. After I had the alternator installed I wanted to see if the engine would crank so I checked the lube oil (full) to the mark carved above the max fill line (actual fill line), Check the transmission oil (full), and the coolant (full). So I decided I would try and crank the engine with the starter to see if it spun freely, when I pressed the start button the crank spun about a quarter turn and then stopped with the starter still trying to turn, I then tried using a wrench to turn the crank shaft, no success. Then a breaker bar to turn the crank shaft, no success. Do Westerbeke W30 have a cylinder decompression lever, could the water pump or transmission have seized. I pulled the valve cover, rockers, and the valve springs, The valves move freely up and down( my initial thought was maybe timing was off because crank turn a quarter turn then froze). any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I would suggest that you google hydrolocked engine, that's what it sounds like to me.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 23:15   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

My monies in damper plate. Hopefully only spring parts and little to no damage.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 18:29   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Take the injectors out and turn by hand. See if water comes out.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 18:32   #5

Boat: Columbia 50

The w30 has glow plugs - eadiest thing to pull to decompress one....

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 19:05   #6

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustsam View Post
I recently purchased a Cascade 36 sailboat that has a Westerbeke W30 installed. Was told by the previous owners that the engine was started a couple months before I bought it and ran fine. I replaced the alternator because the old one was apparently fried and not present on the engine at the time of purchased.
Hi Sam,
You should have not taken their word as truth concerning the alternator and engine. They should have rebuilt or replaced the alternator and ran the engine to your satisfaction before the purchase. I have been burned under similar conditions with 'too much faith in humanity' during a vehicle purchase, especially in the boat/RV gendre with a little excitement in the air...

Anywhooo, did any of the cylinders seem in compression when you worked the valves? Color of oil on stick?
Old 04-01-2020, 22:17   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Yeah, water has probably back syphoned into the engine through an open exhaust valve. If the engine rotated a 1/4 turn it's not seized up with the rings rusted to the cylinder walls or internal damage. If there aren't decompression levers on the head pull the injectors or glow plugs and turn the engine over with the raw water seacock closed till the offending cylinder is as dry as you can get it. Compressed air squirted into the offending cylinder would help. Squirt a small amount of oil into the cylinders, with the emphasis on small as you don't want to oil lock the engine, turn the engine over by hand to prove that it's not frozen, spin the engine with the starter a bit to circulate the oil in the cylinders and exhaust any excess oil or remaining water, re-install the injectors/glow plugs, bleed the injectors if necessary, and try and start the engine. If the engine will turn over easily with the starter but won't start, re-bleed the engine all the way to the injectors and try again. If that doesn't get it running, pull the injectors and get them rebuilt or replaced. Time to call in a professional if you haven't done so already if it still won't start. Once you get it running, keep it running till thoroughly warmed up and change the oil. Repeat at least one more time till the oil stays black and doesn't take on a milky brown consistency from water.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:12   #8

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

I have been led to believe the back syphon of water into the engine requires excessive cranking with no starting. 1/4 turn should not do this. If it is hydro locked, how long was that water in there?
Using a wrench turn the engine in the opposite direction, is it free? Bumping against the "lock" is it a solid metallic stop or a build up if resistance (compression). Does it push back when you release pressure (compression) or remain where it stopped, usually a sign of mechanical.
There are springs on the flexible damper plate which can simulate the pressure of compression, but it should feel and sound different.
Please let us know what you find, good luck!!
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:09   #9

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
I have been led to believe the back syphon of water into the engine requires excessive cranking with no starting. 1/4 turn should not do this. If it is hydro locked, how long was that water in there?
Using a wrench turn the engine in the opposite direction, is it free? Bumping against the "lock" is it a solid metallic stop or a build up if resistance (compression). Does it push back when you release pressure (compression) or remain where it stopped, usually a sign of mechanical.
There are springs on the flexible damper plate which can simulate the pressure of compression, but it should feel and sound different.
Please let us know what you find, good luck!!
The OP does not know what the actual history of the engine is, yes, water could have siphoned in before he tried to crank the engine.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:31   #10

Boat: Cape Dory 27D

I vote on back syphon as the problem. Close water intake.Remove glow plugs, try to turn by hand, if water shoots out that was your problem. Shoot cylinders a good shot of BP BLASTER rust buster and let set a while. Drape rag in area over glow plug holes to catch excess PB Blaster. Turn again by hand several times. Replace glow plugs and hopefully your up and running. Open water intake after it starts.
MCOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:20   #11

I’m a supporter of S/VAdeline regarding water syphon and the results. An engine thats copped a dose of salt water is almost never able to be rotated after standing for an extended period of time and indeed it makes sense to try to turn the engine against rotation to see if it in fact has surface corrosion in one or two cylinders caused by the pool of acidic seawater in the waterlock or an actual hydrolock. It would be helpful to introduce a bit of lubricant.... atf, diesel, WD40, anything into the cylinders via the gloplug or injector holes before getting too physical with the breaker bar
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 13:34   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If it turned a quarter of a turn, its most likely not internal engine unless something real bad like thrown rod.
It could be a stuck valve though and now most likely a bent push rod, or something external to the engine, like a transmission or dampener plate etc.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 16:16   #13

Boat: Pearson 10M

My first thought was hydro lock, but the OP wrote
. I pulled the valve cover, rockers, and the valve springs, The valves move freely up and down(

So that means no hydro lock to me.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 17:03   #14

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

My biggest concern is the 1/4 turn and if it actually stuck there, ie: cannot counter rotate. I have seen many rusted cylinders where the starter or a wrench managed to push the piston up into a field of rust and only a sledgehammer could get it back out.
I am not familiar with the engine, could removal of injectors or glow plugs allow a peek with a flashlight?
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 17:23   #15

Update: I pulled the glow pugs and injectors, engine still is stuck so this takes hydrolock out of the equation. I forgot to mention the boat is sitting on the hard right now so water would have already had to be in the cylinders for hydrolock to occur, I was also thinking if someone tried starting the engine using a hose attached directly to the water inlet it could have gotten hydrolock. But as I have pulled the injectors and glow plugs this seems not to be the case. The holes for the injectors and the glow plugs do not really give a clear view of inside the cylinders but from the little I can see it looks to be pretty clean. I put some marvels mystery oil down the injector holes, and will keep putting more down just because if one of the pistons did get pushed up into a field of rust it might help it break free. I think next I might start pulling off the bell housing to get a good look at the damper plate to see if something on the back end is causing the engine to seize.
augustsam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cascade 36', Four-91, W30, westerbeke