Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2020, 18:38   #1

Boat: 1975 Isander 28
Westerbeke saga turns exhausting

Someone also hacked the exhaust (surprise surprise). The water injection elbow crumbled and looking at replacing it I realized there was a loop (in the 2" wet exhaust hose) between the water injection exhaust elbow and lift muffler. This seems to violate the 1/2" per foot slope rule (I just learned about), so just how bad is this?

I replaced the muffler with a 'side in top out' type which gives a perfect run from the water injection elbow to the muffler, so I am happy about that, but now I am looking at the other features of the exhaust.

I think the only really fishy thing to my eye, is the lack of siphon break in the raw water intake hose. However, the injection elbow is above the water line and the muffler is below. I have been told this is OK to not have a siphon break in this case since my injection elbow is well above waterline. Is this sound?

There is a gooseneck in the out exhaust, which comes out at least 13" above the water line. No flappers however. How important are flappers? I have a good long even sloped run up to the gooseneck from the stern.
skkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 19:00   #2

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36
Re: Westerbeke saga turns exhausting

Not an expert but I think:

1) the raw water inlet cannot have a syphon break, otherwise your engine would just suck air. Nothing fishy about that.

2) if your exhaust is 13” above the waterline, no you really don’t need a flapper thing in my opinion. Mine is about 4” above the waterline and I’ve been fine without one even with breaking waves smashing into the stern.

3) I could be wrong but I can’t think of a reason why a syphon break in the raw water injection hose should be necessary if the elbow is above the waterline. Having said, mine is similar and I do have one. Boat came with it and I never changed it. Any other input on this from anyone?
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:11   #3

Boat: 1975 Isander 28
Re: Westerbeke saga turns exhausting

I meant a siphon break between the impeller and water injection elbow of course. I have none.
skkeith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, westerbeke