Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2017, 07:16   #1

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Westerbeke parts pricing

Many, if not most Westerbeke engines are Mitsubishi. Westerbeke guards their suppliers as a corporate secret so they can extort their end users. We owners of these products are not customers in Westerbeke's view from my bad experiences. We are "End Users". Only the boat manufacturers and distributors are their customers, not even dealers.

I had to buy a head gasket for a 3 cylinder 5.0 diesel Genset. $211.00!

I did a lot of research yesterday and found the Mitsubishi engine model (not In any of their literature) and found a tractor company that carries parts...$59.00. They found that but ran into a dead end on valves Springs and seals. I found a local John Deer parts guy that found (after a LOT of research) came up with an exploded assembly drawing with parts numbers. I googled the part number for a valve and there it was. Ace Power Systems, Mitsubishi parts dealer, Miami. It was late Fri, so I will report next week.

The general rule seems to be if the part has Westerbeke written on it divide the cost by 4 for what you SHOULD be paying at retail elsewhere. A similiar John Deere valve at retail is about $30. The Westerbeke valve is $72.00. I will post the price of the exact same valve in Mitsubishi packaging vs the $72. Westerbeke repackaged valve.

You might be wondering why I am going to this trouble to post this. The
My distaste for Westerbeke goes deep. As I think told on this forum last year I have a list of broken appointments with another dealer with no call, no cooperation from the distribution and the corporate office treated me as a PITA, even though I was, they are not supposed to teat an "End User" as such. This company was built by Daddy, now Jr inherited. Guess the rest of the story.

Sometimes it is more than just tiring to be extorted because you have a "Yacht" and the adjective "Marine" in front of the product somehow justifies a 2x, 3x, 4x price premium. thought ya'all might like to know.
Old 29-07-2017, 08:08   #2

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer
Re: Westerbeke parts pricing

Why don't you say what you really feel...

Yes, the prices for Westerbeke parts are obscene. I have also located appropriate equivalent to contain costs.

This provides a business opportunity for the correct person to provide cost-effective equivalent solutions.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 08:19   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

I needed spin on filters for our genset and they came at 26 bucks apiece when labelled Wester. 8 bucks apiece labelled UFI, Sierra or any other brand.

The same story with Volvo, Yanmar or anything. Truly a pity state of business making. A have seen a 660 USD sticker on a Volvo alternator. An equivalent Bosch 120 USD. Volvo part made in Poland , Bosch in Germany. Explain this.

Rather than sell rip off maintenance material, I would be happy to hear same companies make better engines that break down less.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 08:20   #4

Boat: Tartan 37

My Westerbeke 50 is based of a BMC 1.8 diesel, found head gasket thru ASAP for $45. The best was when I found it share many parts with a MGB, same bottom end. Waterpump thru Westerbeke +$500, got one from the auto parts store with a lifetime warranty for $39. Don't like their price, do the work and find what it's based on. It's a fun game with rewards.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 08:33   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Let this be a lesson about purchasing Westerbeke engines. The profit margins on parts are worse than that of Volvo.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 14:49   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Westerbeke isn't alone in overpricing their parts. All engine makes I know of do it to some extent. Engine makers rarely make all the parts in an engine and usually none of the things that bolt on like starters, alternators, turbos, heat exchangers or even transmissions. Also valves, bearings and seals are made by specialty companies.
Engine rebuilding companies usually know the secrets of who makes what and can get the same part, sometimes in a different box. I went to high school with the sons of a rebuilder in the 60s. Thru them, at that time, I could completely rebuild a Detroit 671 for under $500. Also, if there is a tractor version of the engine, that's usually the cheaper option. All tractor brands I checked out up to a few years ago used exactly the same block and internal parts as the marine version.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 09:41   #7

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Get parts for my W46 from Tractor Supply. Case use that Mitsu block in skidloaders and backhoes I'm told.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:54   #8

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy

These prices are for the same parts each either sold by Westerbeke or Mitsubishi

Valve....W= $72.23----M=$22.56. Valve seal...W=$15.00. M=$3.51. Springs...W$15.00......M=$3.60

It seems there is a pattern there. The down side is delivery time. Westerbeke has a 2 day on all but the Springs which is 3 weeks.

Ace regular delivery on all is 4 weeks but Richard is working on expedited delivery. There is also a $391. Minimum order.

He seems to be interested in competing for this business and stocking parts for these engines. Wouldn't that be nice. There you have it:

Just in..no expedited delivery
Old 30-12-2019, 21:02   #9
cruiser

My New old sailboat has a 1996 Westerbeke B.30 The Tach failed .Westerbeke wants whipping $329for a new tach. Anyone know where I can get an equivalent that works. It has the hour meter in it. 0-4000 RPM. Thanks.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:28   #10

Boat: 31ft tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
My New old sailboat has a 1996 Westerbeke B.30 The Tach failed .Westerbeke wants whipping $329for a new tach. Anyone know where I can get an equivalent that works. It has the hour meter in it. 0-4000 RPM. Thanks.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...00rpm&_sacat=0
Cowpoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 17:00   #11

Boat: Beneteau 461
Send a message via Skype™ to suiramor

Good info! Thanks. Does anyone know where to look for parts to Westerbeke 63C (apart from the eponymous supplier)? Is it a Mitsubishi as well? I may need to refurbish my cooling system as my next big project.
suiramor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 12:12   #12
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

agree that the westerbeke is a marine version of mitsubishi tractor diesel. as for inflated prices .. westerbeke impeller is 30 bucks .. the johnson pump version is 8 bucks .. go figure.

gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 12:49   #13

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiramor View Post
Good info! Thanks. Does anyone know where to look for parts to Westerbeke 63C (apart from the eponymous supplier)? Is it a Mitsubishi as well? I may need to refurbish my cooling system as my next big project.
Based on limited Googling, it's a Mazda block? Would probably help to scour the block looking for a casting number or any identifying marks. Once you find that, it's a lot easier to search for OEM parts vs Westerbeke

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-...rmer-life.html
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 12:57   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Tachs can be rebuilt. There are companies that rebuild gauges of all sorts. Even cable drive tachs and speedometers. Do a search.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 13:06   #15

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiramor View Post
Pretty sure the 63C is a Perkins 4.135 licensed to Mazda and built by them under the designation S2.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts, westerbeke