Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2013, 13:04   #1

Boat: Com-Pac, Horizon Catboat, 20'
Westerbeke 7a-one

I have a 2002 Com-PAC Horizon catboat. It has a 1 cylinder Westerbeke 7a-1 engine. I cannot get it to run reliably. I have worked with diesels quite a bit, but this engine is the most peculiar one I have fooled with. I have replaced filters bled injectors. When I get the engine running it will be fine for a week or so then it just cranks and won't start. I have pressure before the lift pump but not after. Anybody have any experience with this engine? Tricks? I have the manuals and have followed the trouble shooting guides.
Catboatkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 07:30   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Westerbeke 7a-one

This engine is basically a Farymann 18W with some Westerbeke modifications.
Can you please clarify your description of pressure before the lift pump but not after it.
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 07:37   #3

Boat: grampian 26

Start with the basics. Is it getting fuel? Does it have enough compression to ignite the fuel?
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 22:31   #4

Boat: Com-Pac, Horizon Catboat, 20'

The lift pump is getting fuel the line going to the lift pump gets hard like it is pressurized. after the pump the lines stay soft and no fuel comes out. However if I take the injector line off to bleed the lines fuel will spray normally out of the injector line.
Catboatkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 06:00   #5
Marine Service Provider

I dont understand how the line to the lift pump can get hard. This sounds like something is pressurising it but it is under a bit of vacuum. I would remove that hose and inspect it as it may be delaminating and causing the problem. The lift pump may have a faulty valve and it should be serviceable. Another possibility is a check valve in the tank pick up or somewhere between the tank and the lift pump. If you find one, get rid of it as they are more trouble than they are worth.
Old 16-01-2013, 18:43   #6

Boat: Flicka, 20' homebuilt

I have a westerbeke 7A-1 and I can tell you anything you want to know. 1st of all it was not built by westerbeke. The motor was built by Petters in England and it is still being made and supported there and lots of parts. If you have no pressure after the fuel pump, then you need a new one. I will give you more info on parts, catalog, manuals and so forth. Just PM me and will do tomorrow.
bill cartwright
bill cartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 05:50   #7
Marine Service Provider

As you now have conflicting information, I suggest that you contact a Westerbeke distributor to confirm the base of your engine.
Old 19-01-2013, 17:30   #8

Boat: Flicka, 20' homebuilt

look on the side of the motor below the airfilter on the block and it will have a tag. Mine said Petters and I have all the manuals that Westerbeke supplied and I have al the books that Petters offered. Mine is brand new but old stock and has never been fired.
Westerbeke does not offer the 7A1 and has quit it back in 1982 I think. Go to westerbeke website and it is only in history files. I called them and they was no help. good luck.
bill cartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 19:42   #9

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
I wouldn't remove a check valve unless its defective. Nuess (sp) diesels have a fitting with a check in it and if not in place they are difficult or impossible to start. Back years ago I had the injector pump off one for a rebuild. When installing I used a fitting without the check and couldn't get it to start. Bled the system several times with no luck. Finally a old mechanic that I worked with gave me a hand & had it running in 30 min. I do not remember what brand injection system it had, engine was manufactured in Germany & was in a International Harvester crawler tractor.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 06:23   #10
Marine Service Provider

You will find the sales literature for the Westerbeke 7A-1 here on the Westerbeke website http://www.westerbeke.com/productBro...literature.pdf
They produced this engine between June 2000 and July 2003. The base of this engine is a Farymann 15/18W.