Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2019, 12:41   #1

Boat: Maxum 4100 SCR
Westerbeke 7.2 BCGTC Fule pump

Hi Folks

I need to buy a full pump for my westerbeke penny and have been told I only need a 12volt pump. Any suggestions? I don't know the flow rate for the current one but again, I've heard from a few people a standard 12v pump will suffice. If you can help, I'd appreciate it.

Westerbeke wants over $150 for their....Part #: 043124
ktchristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 06:52   #2

Boat: C&C 40 AC
Re: Westerbeke 7.2 BCGTC Fule pump

Check the Facet fuel pump website, they had a direct replacement pump, my pump failed last year, I went to NAPA and bought the only one on the shelf, (it was not the same form, fit and function) I put it inline upstream of the failed pump and used the 12 volt wiring from the existing pump , left the failed pump inline (it was not leaking) and pushed the fuel through it. Even after my replacement arrived, I ran from June through November like that, Cape Cod to Lake Ontario, return, without an issue. To spec your own, you need the negative lift head, GPH, mine was 24" lift, and I burn 0.8 GPH, on my Westerbeke W33
Ike
ikebartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 17:07   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Almost any 12v fuel pump will do as long as it's rated for the fuel type.
This one is $12 on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HEP-02A-Uni...D-h:rk:22:pf:0
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 14:03   #4

12 VDC electric fuel pump 5 to 10 PSI.
Diesel3446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 15:23   #5

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

Facet pumps are a direct replacement for westerbeke since they made them for westerbeke. I know the part number for my 44b but i suspect yours is slightly different model
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 16:19   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikebartlett View Post
Check the Facet fuel pump website, they had a direct replacement pump, my pump failed last year, I went to NAPA and bought the only one on the shelf, (it was not the same form, fit and function) I put it inline upstream of the failed pump and used the 12 volt wiring from the existing pump , left the failed pump inline (it was not leaking) and pushed the fuel through it. Even after my replacement arrived, I ran from June through November like that, Cape Cod to Lake Ontario, return, without an issue. To spec your own, you need the negative lift head, GPH, mine was 24" lift, and I burn 0.8 GPH, on my Westerbeke W33
Ike
Where do I fin GPH and lift? Sorry this is not my forte and facet has a bunch of 12v pumps. If I'm left to it, I'll buy the wrong one. LOL
Old 20-02-2019, 16:46   #7

I think I found it. There is an old document on Westerbeke that says the Full load fuel consumption 1.102 GPH (3.67 LPH) (approx.) Does that sound right? I added the link.

https://www.westerbeke.com/advanced%.../7.2_bcgtc.pdf
Old 20-02-2019, 16:55   #8

Boat: C&C 40 AC

Lift is an easy measurement, from the bottom of your fuel tank to the highest fuel line on your engine, elevation change only , not total distant apart. GPH is your maximum burn rate at full load ( highest RPM) = Gallons per Hour
My Westerbeke is around 1 GPH and is self priming, this means the electric pump supplies the HP pump and any not used returns to the tank, Iím not at my boat to give you the exact specification of the pump but I believe it is 5-7 GPH with 24 inch lift and 3-5 psi. That being said the only one on the shelf was a 2 GPH and it worked fine. If you have the Westerbeke manual just find the part #, google that # and you should find a viable replacement, I like the Facet as it has a filter built in,
If your engine is not a self priming system get the pump that only slightly exceeds your maximum burn rate
ikebartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 19:32   #9

Wanted to thank everyone for their input. I reached out to Facet and they were able to provide me with the part number so if anyone has a Westerbeke 7.2 BCGTC Generator, the facet part number you want is 40176.

Thanks again everyone and Happy Boating!!

Tags
pump, westerbeke