Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2014, 06:06   #1

Boat: Valiant 40
Westerbeke 52 with 2 racor filters

I have 2 racor filters and the standard westerbeke filter, do ineed the westerbeke filter?

From the tank i have 1 racor filter (30 micron), then another racor (10 micron) about 2 inches lower than the first. This then goes to the lift pump about 6 inches below that. Then. The next one is the stand westerbeke filter, not sure of the micron rating) then to injection pump. Is the westerbeke filter necessary?

Also when i change the racors the containers are only half full. Each time i change them i fill the container to the top. The filters are only dirty half way up from the bottom. Does this seem weird

Thx

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
kevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 06:41   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Westerbeke 52 with 2 racor filters

If it's not needed, it will never need to be changed so no harm in leaving it there. If it accumulates any dirt whatsoever, it was needed. Being as it causes no harm, I'd leave it there.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 17:04   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

When you say the Racors are only half full, do you mean that they are half full of diesel after you fill them completely when you change the filters? If that is the case then I am surprised that you haven't had problems with the engine cutting out.

The recommended practice is to use a 30 micron filter in the Racor which is installed before the lift pump and a finer filter I think 5-10 micron before the injector pump. If you have a second Racor what I would do is plumb that in parallel with the other with a couple of valves that will allow you to immediately switch from one Racor to the other. That way if one gets clogged at a very inopportune time you can quickly switch in the backup and keep going.

If you are seeing dirty Racor filter elements then you probably have crud in your tank and even better reason to set up the two Racors in parallel.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 08:27   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

Ya! When i change filters, both containers are only half full! The engine has shown no signs 9f cutting out, in fact the filters ate only dirty on the bottom half where the diesel is! Maybe i have an air leak

kevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 08:47   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins View Post
Ya! When i change filters, both containers are only half full! The engine has shown no signs 9f cutting out, in fact the filters ate only dirty on the bottom half where the diesel is! Maybe i have an air leak

If you find the Racor only half full of diesel, the top half air then air is certainly getting in somewhere. When you change filters are you isolating the Racor so all the fuel lines stay full of diesel? If not then it's possible that some part of the fuel line drains and is full of air which ends up in the filter housing after you close up the system?

If it's not something like that then you absolutely have an air leak and I'm kind of surprised you haven't had a problem with cutout.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 09:03   #6

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

Often times the draw will be less than the filter size. As the filter contaminates it draws a higher lever of fuel. In big diesels in some of the filters u won't even see diesel until you have run 100 hours. If you are nervous about it you can put an electric pump before the first filter or a simple squeeze ball to keep them full. The 2000 series racor seems never to fill. And that's a teeny tiny one

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
racor, westerbeke