Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2015, 19:36   #1

Boat: Morris Justine 36'
Westerbeke 50

A 1982 boat I am going to look at lists a Westerbeke 50 with 1500 hrs. She has always been in freshwater. Is this likely the original engine and if so, is there much of a chance that it could be made dependable enough for a year-long cruise in the Caribbean? What are some of the main considerations I should be asking about or things I should be looking at when I am onboard this weekend.
FecklessDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 19:38   #2

Boat: Morris Justine 36'
Re: Westerbeke 50

Here are details:
4 Cyl, 41hp, Westerbeke 50 diesel
Approx. 1500 hours
Fresh water cooled
Primary and secondary fuel filters
2:1 reduction gear
V drive
Internal stuffing box
External strut bearing
FecklessDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 11:27   #3

Boat: CS36T

That's relatively low hours for that year. But nevertheless it all comes down to maintenance and how it was used or abused, are you able to perform sea trial? andd if all goes well you could have an oil sample sent in to Blackstone labs for analysis.
My Westerbeke W30 is a 1979 model, runs flawless and its approaching 4000hrs.
Good luck and hope it all works out for you.
Old 19-09-2015, 09:53   #4

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I am NOT a marine diesel expert so take all this with a grain of salt. Since it was a fresh water boat the mixing elbow should not suffer as much corrosion as a similar boat run in salt water, however, it is a common failure point on boats that old. I always take engine hours with a grain of salt as there are many ways for it to be grossly understated (not intentionally). You should consider getting a mechanical survey from a respected marine mechanic and/or surveyor who is good with engines. And I would second the lab test, although they are best used as a routine analysis. But a big problem might be uncovered. I also tend to like engines that externally look like the owner cared - clean, not rusty, clean bilge, good wiring, good belt(s), etc. It is always nice to see a primary Racor filter setup. And a log of engine maintenance is always nice. Good luck. It may be a fine motor and not need more than TLC from its new owner.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 10:17   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

We are talking about a year hear and what maybe 500 hours?
Assuming it starts easily, runs well without burning too much oil, and isn't leaking a whole lot of oil, I can't see why not.
I have an 87 Yanmar, seems to be low hours, but I'm going through the secondary systems as I have no idea, Injectors are out now and awaiting parts, two were bad and I feel pretty sure they have never been removed before, water pump impeller of course, remove and clean heat exchanger and refill with new coolant, new thermostat as I'm sure it's original too. Re-torque the head and adjust the valves. Exhaust elbow is just too easy to remove and check to not to, couple of clamps and four bots.
I'm doing that so I have a starting point as I cannot determine true maintenance done, yes I have receipts, but have found from other thing sometimes people are billed for work that wasn't done.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
westerbeke