Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2010, 11:07   #1

Boat: Catalina 320 - Resolute
Westerbeke 30B Three Oil Sump Replacement

I recently acquired a 1996 Catalina 320 powered by a Westerbeke 30B Three. Yesterday, I determined that the oil sump needs to be replaced due to a rusty area just forward of where the sump drain hose connects to the sump. The rust has progressed such that I have a significant oil leak (many drops per minute).

I am trying to figure out if I can replace the sump without lifting the engine. The installation is such that if I can slide the sump forward immediately after removing the screws, I will be able to get it out. However, if the crankshaft, connecting rods, or other pieces extend into the sump such that I have to lower the sump before I can start sliding it forward, I will probably have a clearance problem between the engine block and the deck.

I have not been able to discern from looking at the engineering drawings on the Westerbeke website whether there are pieces that extend into the sump and how far they go down. Does anyone have experience with this or a similar repair? I would appreciate any helpful thoughts.

Many thanks,
Zoof98
zoof98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 10:08   #2

Boat: Catalina 320 - Resolute
I attached a picture of the situation I am describing. I added the flashlight for perspective. It is about four inches long and is sitting on the deck that the pan needs to clear as it is removed. (2" of clearance) My gut feel is that it will probably come out without lifting the engine, but getting the three bolts on the back of the pan on an off might end up being the issue that forces me to lift the engine anyway (the other 15 bolts look accessible).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2414.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	17397  
zoof98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
westerbeke