Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2016, 12:14   #1

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Weatherbeke exhaust elbow

Has anyone had problems with the exhaust manifold or mixing elbow on Westerbekes? I have a 63 C with 718 hrs, and I have to replace the mixing elbow for the second time, the flange seems to corrode away. I have changed the exhaust manifold once. They are alloy, not steel. I change zincs often, and the valve in the vented loop. Seems a little too frequent to me. It gets pricey. Have to place the order Monday and hope it is in stock. I am immobile in Block Island.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 16:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Weatherbeke exhaust elbow

Considering Westerbeke pricing, it may be cheaper to have a welding shop make one out of stainless. Many people do.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 17:51   #3

Actually I did an online search and Westerbeke has better pricing than Yanmar for replacement parts, and Volvo is over the top. Problem with fabricating one of stainless. Which could be done, is attaching stainless to the alloy exhaust manifold. I was hoping for some input about what the problem can be, or, an inherrant design flaw caused by trying to reduce weight to allow higher horse power engines.
Old 16-07-2016, 18:38   #4

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
Problem with fabricating one of stainless. Which could be done, is attaching stainless to the alloy exhaust manifold
I believe the exhaust riser attaches via a gasket and a v-clamp (hose clamp that looks like a 'v' in cross section such that tightening draws two flange faces together) so I don't think the dissimilar metal thing matters much.

In fact, when you need to attach pipes to bring the riser up higher, the Westerbeke part that has the vclamp business on one end and pipe thread on the other is indeed stainless as I recall.

How exactly are your risers failing?

Marine Consignment of Wickford (North Kingstown, RI) has like a whole wall of them, many even looked like Westerbekes. Might be worth a call if you can't get it another way.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 19:10   #5

The flange starts breaking down and eventually leads to a serious exhaust leak. i really can't figure out why it keeps happening. hansen Marine suggested it was that the vented loop was failing and allowing water to lay in the exhaust elbow. Not the case. At least I am in the USA and can get easy deliveries. I spent 10 years out of the country and it was a bigger issue. This kind of stuff makes me think that after 60 years of playing with boats, including 10years of cruising, I am getting tired. Block Island isn't the worst place to be stuck in, but i might be getting near the end. just don't know where I would go from here.
Old 19-07-2016, 13:36   #6

Quote:
The flange starts breaking down and eventually leads to a serious exhaust leak. i really can't figure out why it keeps happening. hansen Marine suggested it was that the vented loop was failing and allowing water to lay in the exhaust elbow. Not the case. At least I am in the USA and can get easy deliveries. I spent 10 years out of the country and it was a bigger issue. This kind of stuff makes me think that after 60 years of playing with boats, including 10years of cruising, I am getting tired. Block Island isn't the worst place to be stuck in, but i might be getting near the end. just don't know where I would go from here.
Noooooooo

Maybe just give yourself more time to be stuck places? Or a newer boat. Or an easier-to-manage boat.

Regarding the elbow issue, maybe just keep another one on board?

You are using the soft metal/whatever gasket thing between the flange of the elbow and the flange of the exhaust manifold, right? And you are making the v-clamp super tight?

Do you have room to try and "raise" the elbow with pipes and elbows, like us folks with low engine installations do? Maybe it'll prevent whatever accumulation is happening there.
Old 19-07-2016, 13:46   #7

Boat: Tartan 37

I made mine out of stainless steel pipe fittings for my Westerbeke 50. Just threaded a 2in nipple to a 45deg elbow then added a 2in nipple. Then had the shop drilled the elbow and welded a 1/2in ID 4in nipple. Has lasted over 1,200 hours and I just inspected it this winter and still looking good with zero corrosion or blockage. Might need to go to the mainland to get it made. You need to check the size require for your motor.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 08:54   #8

I did something like that on my previous boat, with a Universal Diesel 54??, when I was in Trinidad. Same thing, lasted forever. What was good was the exhaust manifold was cast, I believe, and threaded for 2" pipe. The 63C has a flange to flange fitting, with a specialized gasket and clamp. Between the fact the exhaust manifold is alloy, flanged, and I don't think it has enough meat for threading enough to secure a pipe nipple. Westerbeke>Hansen, their main distributor, claims that the life expectancy is 6-8 years, and they are spot on. They had 5 in stock, so I guess they sell.
Old 20-07-2016, 09:47   #9

Quote:
I did something like that on my previous boat, with a Universal Diesel 54??, when I was in Trinidad. Same thing, lasted forever. What was good was the exhaust manifold was cast, I believe, and threaded for 2" pipe. The 63C has a flange to flange fitting, with a specialized gasket and clamp. Between the fact the exhaust manifold is alloy, flanged, and I don't think it has enough meat for threading enough to secure a pipe nipple. Westerbeke>Hansen, their main distributor, claims that the life expectancy is 6-8 years, and they are spot on. They had 5 in stock, so I guess they sell.
As I mentioned, Westerbeke sells a simple collar thing that is flange on one side, female pipe thread on the other, if you wanted to go that route.

Certainly agree with you re: threading the manifold. Previous owner threaded the elbow on mine, I guess he didn't want to shell out for another pipethread-to-flange collar, but the exhaust system would fall apart as soon as it got hot!! Maybe due to the greater expansion of the aluminum vs. the steel pipe.

Tags
elbow, exhaust, weather