Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2020, 01:50   #1

Boat: Pugh windstar 54 Van De Stadt 57 aluminiun ketch
Waterlock muffler construction

I need to change the angle of the water mixing elbow as in its current configuration it could allow water to run back into the engine. As part of the change to the exhaust system I will require a new custom built waterlock muffler due to space constraints. Has anybody any experience in building a waterlock muffler. There is insufficient room to fit a conventional commercially available waterlock muffler and I don't wish to construct it of metal. I have checked the internet but there is very little information regarding construction.
I know how a waterlock muffler works and don't require design advice just advice on materials.
south4320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 03:22   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Waterlock muffler construction

I just rebuilt mine. It is made out of 316 stainless steel and had little corrosion despite being nearly 40 years old. I researched making it out of fibreglass (google for info on building motorcycle gas tanks from fibreglass - it's a very similar process) but the issue for me was finding fibreglass tube bends, which I needed. At the end of the day I'm happy enough with the rebuilt waterlock and expect it to last as long as I will be using the boat.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 03:27   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

OK, I'm have no experience in building a waterlock but that doesn't stop me from having an opinion about materials .

The common NZ manufactured ones are plastic - perhaps polyethylene (or maybe polypropylene). The Vetus mufflers are of similar material.

Do you have any mates in the fish farm business that do plastic welding or know anyone working for MPW at Castle Forbes Bay.

MPW - pipelines, aquaculture, design & simulation
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 03:32   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I would just cobble one together out of various fiberglass pipe components, all assembled with a fire retardant polyester resin. The end product would look like this.

https://www.centekmarine.com/product...lift-mufflers/
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 04:42   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I had a similar issue. I crammed a Vetus muffed into the space, not a good solution. Then I noticed the input port had partially melted. Never had an over heat condition on the engine.

This year I had one built out of welded SS. Custom fit to go where it needed to.
MUCH better solution.

I don’t why the Vetus deformed, obviously it was excess heat but what made the heat. Or are they just marginally designed? I do know an exhaust over heat alarm is recommended to protect the water lock.

One more point of maintenance and failure.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 04:42   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I just rebuilt mine. It is made out of 316 stainless steel and had little corrosion despite being nearly 40 years old. I researched making it out of fibreglass (google for info on building motorcycle gas tanks from fibreglass - it's a very similar process) but the issue for me was finding fibreglass tube bends, which I needed. At the end of the day I'm happy enough with the rebuilt waterlock and expect it to last as long as I will be using the boat.
Thanks, I didn't think stainless would last very well due to corrosion causing pinholes but if you have had nearly 40yrs then its much better than I expected.
Having a son who is a welder/fabricator would make it easy although he's stuck in W.A at moment. I had thought of fibreglass but wasn't sure if it would handle the heat.
Old 25-08-2020, 04:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
OK, I'm have no experience in building a waterlock but that doesn't stop me from having an opinion about materials .

The common NZ manufactured ones are plastic - perhaps polyethylene (or maybe polypropylene). The Vetus mufflers are of similar material.

Do you have any mates in the fish farm business that do plastic welding or know anyone working for MPW at Castle Forbes Bay.

MPW - pipelines, aquaculture, design & simulation
Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't thought of using that and the material is readily available here. I'll look into it. I used to do a bit of work at the boatbuilding business where Michael Mitchell started doing his plastic pipe welding. Well over 20yrs ago and started off on his own and now a fairly large business.
Old 25-08-2020, 04:52   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I would just cobble one together out of various fiberglass pipe components, all assembled with a fire retardant polyester resin. The end product would look like this.

https://www.centekmarine.com/product...lift-mufflers/
Thanks. I actually had a look at their site and a couple of other lift muffler manufacturers hoping to find a ready made one to fit. Unfortunately nothing to fit as its fairly large. Six inch inlet and outlet.
Old 25-08-2020, 05:40   #9

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by south4320 View Post
Thanks, I didn't think stainless would last very well due to corrosion causing pinholes but if you have had nearly 40yrs then its much better than I expected.
Having a son who is a welder/fabricator would make it easy although he's stuck in W.A at moment. I had thought of fibreglass but wasn't sure if it would handle the heat.

Yes, it was surprising. There was more corrosion on the outside then the inside. Here's a picture showing it during the early stages of the repair. Half of one side and the bottom were corroded fairly badly (but weren't leaking) and the tubes where the hoses connected were scalloped out with corrosion. I converted the hose diameter from 40 to 50mm during the rebuild to, so 50mm diameter mandrel bends were installed for the hose connections
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	317.9 KB
ID:	221947  
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 11:29   #10

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

I’ve built them out of 6000 series aluminum lined with epoxy. I think the sulfur in the exhaust turns into acid...something eats pinholes in raw 6000 aluminum.
Built them in fiberglass / epoxy. Tri axial in epoxy pre made fiberglass pipe but I’ve used aluminum as well. Painted the inside of the aluminum pipe with epoxy.
Very clean and sanded with 36 then clean again then epoxy within 20 minutes. No issues. I always put a drain in the bottom of the water lift. Built a very large water gas separator from glass in epoxy with 5 inch aluminum pipe, a lexan window, and two 3” drains. No issues after 5 years. 170 hp turbo diesel. The water gas separator really reduces back pressure on the turbo and the water lift seems to work better. CeraKoted the hot side of my turbo.
Out of the turbo, stainless mixer, short bump silicon hose, angle down into waterlift, straight up to water gas separator.
Happy trails to you.
Mark, a TIG gun toting manatee
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 16:47   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I glassed over a plastic one after i burnt a hole in it & it lasted for over 10 years whilst we had the boat & is still going AFAIK so fibreglass would be fine.
You could just make up a box in ply & fibreglass over & glass ss 316 bends in it if you want. If you weld up a muffler make sure its purge welded or it wont last.
I'd prefer plastic or f/glass myself with an exhaust alarm but ss if no exhaust alarm
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 17:24   #12

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by south4320 View Post
Thanks. I actually had a look at their site and a couple of other lift muffler manufacturers hoping to find a ready made one to fit. Unfortunately nothing to fit as its fairly large. Six inch inlet and outlet.
Hi, you could try a business called marine exhausts at Kurnell, Sydney. They will manufacture to your requirements, any size, any shape using GRP, they have been around for a fair while and ship interstate.
They use vinylester resin.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 17:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Hi, you could try a business called marine exhausts at Kurnell, Sydney. They will manufacture to your requirements, any size, any shape using GRP, they have been around for a fair while and ship interstate.
They use vinylester resin.
Is that Foreshore Marine?
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 17:56   #14

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
Is that Foreshore Marine?
Yes, that's the one, I just couldn't remember the actual name.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 18:00   #15

They made a glass muffler for a previous boat, it was a nice job.
Need a custom one now for a 4JH Yanmar, will probably go back to them
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
muffler, water