Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 06:56   #31

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46
Re: Waterlift muffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcerdos View Post
Why would you comment on it when it is a perfectly good muffler? Isn't the purpose of a good surveyor to be objective and point out known hazards or potential failures. A plastic muffler is none of this. It is just your opinion, which in my opinion doesn't belong on a document of seaworthiness.

Also, regardless of the muffler, all boats would do well to have installed a water flow detector and alarm. This is just plain $100 common sense to protect the $20,000 engine.
I have two surveys writen by boat poker in the last 10 years. One boat with a plastic Vetus waterlift, and one Fiberglass reinforced Plastic Centec waterlift; No mention of any concerns. (?)
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 08:48   #32

Thanks to everyone for a great response to this question! It is great to hear both tides of the debate. A boat is really a bucket full of tradeoffs.
Papakina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:38   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcerdos View Post
Why would you comment on it when it is a perfectly good muffler? Isn't the purpose of a good surveyor to be objective and point out known hazards or potential failures.
Also, regardless of the muffler, all boats would do well to have installed a water flow detector and alarm. This is just plain $100 common sense to protect the $20,000 engine.
Exactly ! I saw two plastic mufflers melt a few years ago so I am pointing out a "known potential hazard". In talking to other surveyors, they were surprised that I had seen only two.

PS. I have strongly advocated for "raw water" flow detectors for over 15yrs on my website.

The actual recomendation I make when I find plastic mufflers is ....

"Plastic mufflers are known to melt quickly if raw water flow is halted. Installation of a raw water flow detector and alarm is advised."
Old 04-08-2013, 09:57   #34

Re: Waterlift Muffler

One easy way to have an alarm, especially on smaller diesels like many sailboats have, is to clamp a "snap disc" thermostat on the exhaust elbow. Just wire it to 12V and to an alarm buzzer. They are available in different break temperatures. I've used 185-200 F in the past. If water stops flowing to your exhaust, your metal mixing elbow gets hot, the snap disc shuts grounding the wire, this sets off your alarm buzzer. Very inexensive. Available at Graingers and probably Mcmaster Carr. I think they are available in adjustable ones also.
For the bigger diesel crowd, good idea to have exhaust temp gauges. When a diesel engine manufacturer certifies an engine installation, they want to evaluate exhaust temperature.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
muffler