Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2019, 07:03   #1

water strainer for cooling water

I have a Sherwood E20 water pump on a Palmer P60 inboard. In the past the impeller lost vanes and one broken piece stuck in the pump exhaust port. The question is can I add a water strainer on the cooling line after the pump to catch broken vane pieces if this ever happens again? Currently installed is the blue Globe impeller. Old neoprene impellers do not last as long.

Any ideas would be appreciated....Dean
Dean Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:45   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: water strainer for cooling water

Yes. It doesn't affect the pump.

Somebody here came up with the idea. I'm in the process of adding after pump strainers on several diesels.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:37   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Yes you can, I’d recommend the ones that don’t have a real fine screen, and you can simply unscrew the cover to clean.
I’m doing it soon myself, just had to take apart my heat ex to get the blades out, today.

I am going to have to remove the stock elbow rubber hose and replace it with a much longer one that is looped so that I can fit the strainer in.
I like silicone hose, it seems to last years longer than rubber and doesn’t seem to get hard a crack like a rubber hose does.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 15:08   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Paul View Post
I have a Sherwood E20 water pump on a Palmer P60 inboard. In the past the impeller lost vanes and one broken piece stuck in the pump exhaust port. The question is can I add a water strainer on the cooling line after the pump to catch broken vane pieces if this ever happens again? Currently installed is the blue Globe impeller. Old neoprene impellers do not last as long.

Any ideas would be appreciated....Dean
I bought one very cheap on aliexpress & have been using for about 1 year. Leaked a bit but thread tape cured that. Doubt a more expensive name brand will leak. Will make the impeller last forever now I got strainer on .lol. As A64 pilot said cant have too fine mesh as will clog with sea life. Ours had that problem but I just drilled holes in the mesh to fix.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, water