Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2016, 10:17   #16

Boat: Stevens 47
Re: WARNING Do Not Buy Nanni Diesel in USA!

The reason companies like Kubota and Isuzu don't marinize their own engines is that the market is too small. Folks don't seem to get this fact about the marine biz. It's tiny compared to any industrial or consumer biz and very price sensitive on the low end (us). Cat and Cummings marinize their own blocks because they are used in commercial ships and big motor yachts, a much larger and much less price sensitive market.

This is also why marine stuff breaks so much. Oems can not afford to properly engineer their products when the unit volume is in the hundreds or low thousanda per year.
sainted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:32   #17

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

You can buy performance parts from your local Chevy dealer, (with GM part #s), so why doesn't Kubota sell a marinizing kit?.
I guess there's no Japanese translation for Zola Arkus=Duntov.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:34   #18

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfarmer View Post
I guess that is so... but my question is.... why not make their own marinizing division if it's profitable to companies like Westerbeke, Nanni, BETA, etc.? Why make everyone scrounge for parts elsewhere or after market companies? Should be a good sideline business for a good engine manufacturer... Like you said it's 3 add-ons to marinize the engine. A Subsidiary company or Department with their own P/L could do this... jus' hate the idea of looking around the Red or Blue to get around the ripoff prices offered by the marinating company...
The pricing model for a marine engine company is built around the lifetime, not just the original sale of the engine and getting harder for them to turn a profit, much less get rich and fat off of the boating community. Yanmar is that company you are talking about, and the last time I bought Yanmar parts, I was cussing the fact that it was easier and cheaper to find parts for my obscure Westerbeke 46 based upon a low run Mitsubishi block than what Yanmar was gouging out of me. Volvo, the same way. So, careful what you wish for because when they do, they make you pay for it. At least with Nanni and Beta, you can go direct to Kubota for many of the hard parts and Beta is 100% honest with you that they have to mark it up for all the reasons, but they are not stopping you from going to your local tractor dealer for parts and even use that as a selling point. If they had to make changes to the starter, I would bet it was not to gouge you out of more money, it was probably to get the tail to fit a housing to mate to the particular gear box. Everything does not bolt to a particular manufacturer bobtail.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:44   #19

Quote:
...................... Why make everyone scrounge for parts elsewhere or after market companies?
Since it appears you've already read my reply #13, it is obvious that one does NOT have to scrounge for parts.

The equivalents have already been determined for you by others.

Still: not so hard. ALL you NEED to know is what is necessary for YOUR engine.

I've done that for mine, years and years ago. Done deal.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:17   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Since it appears you've already read my reply #13, it is obvious that one does NOT have to scrounge for parts.

Thats partially true butcertainly not a blanket truth over all marinization. There is more involved thanjust the cooling water add on, engine foudations, little details like oil change pumps, front end drive assemblies etc. The point of the post seems to be that Nanni is using some OEM non accessable parts like their air filter and apparently starter. I have a beta and its pretty simple to locate and cross most consumable companents, but unless you are in the UK some of the others are not nessessrily easy to cross they use a bowman cooler, and of course all of their horrible English automotive electrical.
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:18   #21

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

Ever try to buy a starter for a Westerbeke 70 HP starter? Mitsubishi block, Delta Starter with reverse rotation.... I am sure there are other examples out there... I call that scrounging...
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:05   #22

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Ever try to buy a starter for a Westerbeke 70 HP starter? Mitsubishi block, Delta Starter with reverse rotation.... I am sure there are other examples out there... I call that scrounging...
I thought the W70 was a Perkins, at least that is how it shows on my list with a Delco CCW starter.

But the reality is you are talking about something manufactured 30+ years ago. Parts get harder to find and not enough examples in some cases to make it worth short runs for after-market.

I find the irony when people complain about marine engine reliability and they are running a 20-40 year old engine with the equalivant of 180K+ road miles (2500-3000 hours) and that would be 180K miles driving your car up and down the beach all day long.

But I hear you, you have to get creative sometimes or just bite the bullet after 30 years and repower, which is a hard thing to do when they just keep on running.

If I were the OP, I would "scrounge" a used one and have it rebuilt. Switch it with the one on the engine now, regardless, as problems with starters usually show up in the first year in my experience. Nothing worse than buying and storing a new product only to find it defective down the line when you need it and no warranty to back it up.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 13:11   #23

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

The 70 is Mitsubishi I understand.... The 58 is a Perkins.... BUT I just got confirmation that Westerbeke now suggests using the 58 starter... Hylas Yachts use the 70 so I guess there is interest in keeping those old Westerbeke warhorses alive one more year as far as starters go.... Problem is the engine works well... just need to starter... There seems to be more 58 starters out there than 70's thank goodness... I "scrounged" 2 backups...

I agree with your narrative about old engines... but we are talking about diesel engines which can work forever and a day or you need to write a check for $15-20 grand.... plus all the crap you need to put up with in removing an engine and lugging a new one over you nice polished sole.
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 15:46   #24

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

Sorry Stu, but I respectfully disagree in the case of Nanni. I've spent many hours scouring CF, Google, youtube, yahoo, Tartan owners list and other forums looking for a cross reference list for Nanni 4.150HE and I've never found a thing. Yes, I have the list of farm equipment that my Kubota V1505 block is in, but that didn't help me find a starter since there's a half dozen different starters and the one I thought it was didn't fit when I bought it... Beta actually puts cross reference numbers on their web page!! And I'm sure there's cross reference info for universal, westerbeast, etc. b/c they seem popular... But Nanni...? Me thinks not so much.
Please enlighten me Stu to the Nanni Nirvana where cross reference parts can be found!

thanks...
BTW, Waterway marine (now gone) did give me kubota numbers for the 1) oil filter, 2) valve cover gasket, and 3) injector assy. But that's all I got.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 16:41   #25

Boat: Casacde 36

Try D&B Electrical, in TN, somewhere, they're on the web.
I had a similar problem with a $550 Yanmar 30GM starter and they had one for less than $100. I had to grind a small flat, off the edge of the mounting flange, to clear the oil line, but it works just fine. If you need a picture, I have one somewhere.
I also found an 80A alternator there and have made up a kit for adding that, plus a Sterling regulator which really improved my battery charging business.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 17:12   #26

Most starters last the life of the engine/vehicle now days. In a boat, it's used far less than a car. Frankly, I wouldn't carry a spare starter... unless I was going thru the northern passage or something.
My Nanni was a 240D Mercedes diesel, one of the most widely used car engines ever built worldwide... so I was lucky I guess... but getting any of the special marinized parts would have been very tough for sure.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 14:27   #27

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
Nanni painted the starter so I can't get any identifying marks of it.
Not necesarily. I needed a starter for my 3.30, RDI wanted $340 so I veeerrry carefully peeled the paint off the label. The paint lifted the writing off the label, but I was able to get the numbers off the back of the paint chip. An exact fit replacement starter was $32 on ebay.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 11:31   #28

Does anyone know the actual manufacturer of th Westerbeke 63C four engine?
One of mu parts has been discontinued by Westerbeke.
Shannon38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 11:01   #29

Boat: Tartan 34C

If ANY of you have cross-referenced any Nanni parts, please share that info. I am having the same issue with my Nanni Kubota 5.280 HE (62 hp). For instance, the replacement fuel injector pump is almost $3500!

Alternatively, if anyone knows of an HE engine that was pulled from a boat in the US, I might buy the entire engine for removable parts.

Any help GREATLY appreciated!
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 11:17   #30

Hence the utility of simply marinizing your own new Kubota for half the price Nanni, Beta or Universal/Westerbeke stick your for. If you want a real horror show check out prices at Torrensen Marine, they wanted $1153.00 for a single engine mount, I made my own and bought a new Kubota and all the parts to marinize for 6K.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, grass