Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2022, 08:17   #16

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Wanted to throw out the topic of Hydro-diesel which gets high marks.

Don't forget, just because it works doesn't mean it's practical or cost effective yet. And sometimes, by the time it is, something better has made it obsolete.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 14:35   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

The first engines I learned on were radial aircraft engines. Water injection gives an engine more power because water doesn't compress much, increasing the compression ratio. But it's hard on engines, just like too much turbo boost.
WWII aircraft engines lasted about 2-300 hours between overhauls. Water injection was used in the heat of combat and engines needed new rings after 100 hours or less. Some after one flight.
Water absorbed into diesel in large amounts can turn to steam, expanding many times in volume, damaging injector tips, rings and other cylinder components because of the high pressures.
Lepke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 18:12   #18

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I love radial engines. I’ve had several flights in Otters and their power is astonishing.
Several aircraft motors made it into boats.
There use to be an aluminum 26’ boat with a bell helicopter jet turbine around. A rare wide body 41 cigarette beat him on an eight mile run.
I have the 3D print data to make a 4hp 6 cylinder air powered radial. It feeds off 18psi pump and an accumulator. You can incorporate the Bugatti twin counter rotating prop to it. It’s a two stroke design.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 18:18   #19

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post
From a chemical engineer who is very familiar with fuel and fuel blends. I am going to tell you something you do not want to hear.

There is NO WAY that adding water to diesel fuel (or gasoline) adds ANYTHING to the energy output. It can only DECREASE it--a LOT. This is totally bogus and a complete ripoff.

….

True but the name hydro-diesel is just marketing gold, sounds so scientific, evokes “hydrogen” which is another hyped future fuel.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 21:04   #20

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

WOW, JUST PLAIN WOW!!!

Can't believe this is really here!
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 23:37   #21

If they can add water and make a better fuel then next thing they will be selling N2O (nitrous oxide), as they head off to the bank.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2022, 02:49   #22

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Inject water can have the effect of cooling the combustion air and increasing the air mass. If it is very hot or at altitude, it's a way of recouping some of the engine power you lose in such conditions. Modern engines with computer controls, take account of atmospheric conditions, air mass and fuel temp to meter the fuel more precisely so water injection seems unlikely to improve things, but older engines with me mechanical control could benefit. Those who experienced such engines will remember how the car seemed to have more power in cold, misty conditions.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2022, 02:55   #23

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

So for older engines, water injection could improve efficiency and improve power, but not by a great amount. A modern common rail diesel would do far better.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2022, 09:17   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

This thread with its conspiracy theories mixed with some factual posts mixed in with some just plain junk posts reminds me why I am so glad the boat has an anchor that I can pull up and leave the area before the black helicopters arrive. Really looking forward to a report from the first person who gets some catalyst, adds water to their diesel fuel and goes on voyage. Please let know how that works out for you. best of luck
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2022, 09:23   #25

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Water injection was used in WW-II piston aircraft because it allowed higher compression without predetonation problems because the octane wasn't high enough. Those were gas/petrol engines.

It was also used in the early Jet age which doesn't pertain to this discussion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_injection_(engine)
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2022, 14:35   #26

Boat: Dream 45'

All,

Similar effect could be achieved by injecting water mist into the air just before the intake manifold. Easier to do and no need to touch the fuel. Some say that adding the water vapour helps clean the exhaust side too.

I've never tried. Playing with diesel engines can cost you a bit extra.

Cheers,

Ismael
iabmatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2022, 06:34   #27

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93

People confuse "improve power" with "improve economy"
Turbo's improve max power, but reduce BSFC (economy)
Water can improve max power, but also reduces economy.
Getting more power means burning more fuel, with more air. no free lunch. You are just increasing the max limits, with associated wear.
Most 2 stroke high performance engines get between 1-50 hrs from a set of pistons. Good power though.
Great for winning a race, winning a war, or if you really need to save weight in your catamaran I guess.
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2022, 07:33   #28

Boat: 1972 Hatteras 45C

I am in the process of setting up a system for Black Diesel made from waste motor oil in my garage for my diesel truck. Running thru a centrifuge if far more efficient that paper filters.
Not sure it will work for cruising but maybe in smaller batches with smaller centriguge.

mike mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2022, 07:43   #29

Boat: Birchwood 33

Funny how this issue, every 10 years or so, comes around - usually with fuel price hikes or shortages.
Water is not a fuel (unless you find a way to cost-effectively split its atoms) as it has no calorific value. In a steam engine, the coal is the fuel, not the water.
As someone has already pointed out small quantities of water introduced into the fuel feed may improve performance (by regulating the burn/ignition in older engines) - thus we can sometimes feel improved/smoother performance when driving in the rain.
Otherwise, the concept of snake oil comes to mind.
Nyaminyami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2022, 07:45   #30

So do I just fill up half of my tank with tap water and the other half with diesel? No one is not saying not to do that so it must be okay right? This is going to be the next post here: I put water in the fuel tank to blend it with diesel and now my 20 year old Volvos won't run, how do I fix it?

Is it possible, yes, is it practical, no. What you are talking about is the emulsification of heavy fuels with water (sterile water) to ease transportation and handling. Currently kerosene or crude oil is used. It can theoretically be burned or combusted but definetly not in your normal engine. I don't care what you have seen on you tube, you can't make this at home, you can't go to the station and buy it and you certainly can't put it into a Briggs and Stratton go cart engine, post a video on YouTube and then claim you saw your neighbor do it. 5 minute crafts also has a video making a tin foil pouch, throwing in eggs and cooking it in a bread toaster but that doesn't mean you should try it because of the whole death and burning down your house thing.

Instead of regurgitating what you think you read verses the actual real world application, hence the Trillion and University of Houston research lab to determine viability as a fuel source. Also read the other information discussing the caloric effects and the big part that says theoretically could be used as a fuel. Making something look viable on paper is vastly different than making it work in reality.

It is fine to have ideas but putting them out there as facts is dangerous and can cause someone some serious issues. An experiment for to try to prove this hypothesis. Write down all the reason having multiple lovers would be a great idea, come up with a schedule to make it work, develop idea on how to meet them and the logistics of how it would work and be beneficial. Once have all this information, go show your wife and ask her when you can start. See, theoretical verses practical. Good luck.
ccanupii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, wanted