Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2011, 11:32   #1

Boat: Pearson 424, 42' - Kismet
Walker Bay 310 RID + 8HP merc 4 stroke?

I'm dinghy shopping and am considering a RIB in the 10 foot range, but have been eyeing the Walker Bays as I could go with a sailing kit... might be fun for shooting around, and could be fun for guests too. (Also appeals to the "I don't need no gas" part of me )

There's a sturdy davits off the back so hauling it up shouldn't be an issue (and i can flip it and put it on the deck tied down for long passages...)

The 310 RID is rated for up to a 6HP engine. Problem is i have a Merc 8hp 4 stroke that's only 2 years old and really would hate to replace it as it's got lots of good years ahead of it.

Would "slow and careful and not over 75% throttle" solve the problem, or is there some more serious problem i'd be missing? Wondering if anyone else has come across this...

Also has anyone got the sail kit? How does it perform? I'd expect some compromises but would want it to be reasonably responsive...

Also, for those that have one, do you stay as dry as you do in an equivalent sized rib while motoring?
kismet424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 07:54   #2

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Re: Walker Bay 310 RID + 8HP merc 4 stroke?

Hi:

I was wondering if you bought the walker bay 310 with the 8hp motor , and how did it go?
I have the same problem right now , and don´t know if I am going to have a problem

Thanks
grobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 08:21   #3

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Ditto.. Would love to hear from anyone with a Walker Bay RID. I have heard mixed reviews. All the bad reviews seems to be coming from deep in the tropics. They don't stand up in the strong sun.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 16:46   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I used to have a Walker Bay RID "Super Tender"...basically just a fancy Walker Bay with tubes. Since they are not a planning hull they don't get squirrely if over powered, but...the transom is not designed for higher HP. I ran it with a 9.8 and it did just fine, but over time the transom developed cracks beside the motor mount. Repaired with epoxy and larger aluminium backing plates, but didn't over power after that.

Great little dink otherwise, except the non-planning hull gets tedious on long runs. Upsides are that it is super stable, rows well, and sails too. Mine held up fine in the tropics. The only thing that died of UV was the cloth handles on the tubes. Great customer service from WB...they sent me new tubes at no charge! The bolt rope attachement makes it easy to swap out new tubes (unlike the plethora of glued on tube RIB hulls you see litering the Carib).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 07:29   #5

Thanks.
Now I really dont know what to do.Because I really like the sailing part of that dinghy . I think for my daughter (9) it will be a plus to learn to sail. And I think she will be able to handle that one.
But I still think for everything else I will go with the RIB 310 hypalon westmarine.
Old 25-06-2015, 08:04   #6

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

belizesailor - thanks a ton.. That was a great pros and cons post. It helped me a ton.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 08:22   #7

I have the old 285RID supertender. Love it. I have the hapalon version.
Have not put an engine on it, but am thinking about 3.5hp.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 08:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
belizesailor - thanks a ton.. That was a great pros and cons post. It helped me a ton.
If you decide for the RIB instead of Walker Bay check westmarine .They are on sale today the 310 Hypalon RIBs
Old 25-06-2015, 09:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnow2011 View Post
I have the old 285RID supertender. Love it. I have the hapalon version.
Have not put an engine on it, but am thinking about 3.5hp.
Mine was hapalon too. Held up great except for the cloth handles...maybe they fixed that in later versions.
Old 25-06-2015, 09:38   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by grobles View Post
Thanks.
Now I really dont know what to do.Because I really like the sailing part of that dinghy . I think for my daughter (9) it will be a plus to learn to sail. And I think she will be able to handle that one.
But I still think for everything else I will go with the RIB 310 hypalon westmarine.
I sold mine to a cruising family who wanted it for similar reasons. They had a RIB already and wanted a second dink that rowed & sailed for the kids.
Old 25-06-2015, 09:40   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
De nada.

Tags
4 stroke