Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2016, 13:26   #1

VW TDI 140-5 Timing Belt replacement

Anyone ever replace the timing belt on this engine? It is installed in a Beneteau Oceanis and runs great, but time for the 1000 hour service, which recommends replacing all belts. Difficult to find anyone who knows anything about these engines on the West coast of US (or all of US for that matter).

Although I have the manuals, would love to talk with a human that has done it before....
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 14:42   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: VW TDI 140-5 Timing Belt replacement

I've done it on a VW Golf, and since it was a single overhead cam it's easier than the average car that has dual overhead cams.
It's easy, just read the directions and it doesn't hurt to make reference marks on the cam, injection pump and crankshaft before you remove the belt so you can be sure the new one goes on exactly the same.
1000 hours sounds early though, usually on cars they interval is 60 ,000 miles which is about 2000 hours.
Also check to be sure it's a free spin or non interference engine too, those you can't hurt the valves if the belt breaks or is put in off time. An interference engine, you can.
Of course access makes a huge difference to if its an easy task or not.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 14:44   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

On the Miata some recommend cutting off half the belt, then slipping the new one as the old one is slid off, that keeps it in time.
Kind of silly, but if your really worried why not, Miata is dual cams of course.

Old 11-10-2016, 16:32   #4

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Sorry A64, I have to strongly disagree on the marking the timing belt thing.
Buy the proper tools, and follow the directions in the manual and you won't be sorry you did.

Marking the belts is not the same as locking the crank pulley, and injection pump and camshaft. On the 4cyl, you have to free the cam pulley from the cam itself, and the same goes for the injection pump pulley.

One belt is not exactly the same as another, there will always be small variations in length, and stretch for that matter. We're talking microns here.

Set them all up with the proper tools, and you'll have the proper factory timing. No variation.

Of all things to cheap out on, this isn't' one of them.

Many of us (me included) have done the marking the pulley thing, but this ain't your 10 year old Golf we're talking about.

If you can post, or e-mail me, the pertinent pages of your manual, I'll compare them to my experiences with the ALH, and BEW timing belt replacement procedures.

I have all the proper tools for those engines. I got them from Metalnerd.com, and they won't cost you too dearly.

PS, we've installed two ALH tdi engines (with mechanical injection pumps) in our new Cat.

Cheers.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 16:39   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You don't mark the belt but marking the pulleys and a reference mark on the engine doesn't hurt.
I did say follow the directions, and I don't remember any special tools that had to be bought? In fact I remember it actually being an easy job? And it was probably 20 yrs ago for the Golf.
Only point is this isn't a particularly difficult job, and if the engine is a non interference engine, you can't really hurt anything. Nothing to be afraid of if your a decent mechanic.
Not true though if it's an interference engine, those I believe are rare.

Old 11-10-2016, 17:25   #6

Interference engines are not rare at all. If it's a modern diesel, you can bet your valves it's an interference engine.

20 years ago, you were changing the belt on an Idi engine, and you still should have set the plunger on the injection pump with the slotted holes in the pump, and locked both the cam and crank. "It'll do" just won't do these days. Not only that, this engine is electronic, so problems will be picked up by the computer, and the computer will make adjustments based on a mistimed engine.

Since vw went to direct injection, you have a locking tool for the crank, which is different for each generation of engine. You also have a locking tool for the camshaft, which installs on the "back" end of the head. There's a tool to hold the cam while you tighten the pulley bolt. There's a tool to free the cam pulley (just a puller), there's a tool to lock the injection pump, and another for the crank. Then there's a tool to adjust the belt tensioner.

Some of these can use substitutes, or be jury rigged, but for a savings of $25 or so on a $15,000 - $25,000 engine, I don't know why you would.

Paul.
Old 11-10-2016, 17:26   #7

Yeah, "marking the belts", was a typo. I later said marking the pulleys, which is what I meant to say the first time.
Paul.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:26   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
On the Miata some recommend cutting off half the belt, then slipping the new one as the old one is slid off, that keeps it in time.
Kind of silly, but if your really worried why not, Miata is dual cams of course.

And on the early Miatas don't let anyone over tension the belt The crank nose will break. Although they had a faulty crank design, over tensioning a timing belt seems common.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:29   #9

Boat: Whitby 42 , Ketch

Many installers of the timing belt do not set the belt tension proper,you need a tool for it.
If set too loose the belt will jump,set too tight you will wear out the front driveshaft
bushing on the injection pump in very short time ( I have see it after only 50 hours. )
You would be in for a Inj.Pump repair.Ouch.
Cheers
Siggi
svthreecheers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:43   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
And on the early Miatas don't let anyone over tension the belt The crank nose will break. Although they had a faulty crank design, over tensioning a timing belt seems common.

Yep the old short "nosed" crank. My first one a 90 model was a short nose.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-10-2016, 11:19   #11

This it NOT to be taking lightly if you don´t know get someone from vw or Volvo (same 5 cyl. TDI engine) shop to help.
you must have a locking tool for camshaft, crankshaft and injector pump, then with all the covers off you slacken of the tension pulley that has 2 marks in it that lines up when retention the belt, nothing to it when you have the tools, otherwise impossible. pls note the camwheel/sprocket will have to be knocked off from the backside.
soerencarlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:33   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Yep the old short "nosed" crank. My first one a 90 model was a short nose.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
They went from short to fat to long nose before getting is right. A nice auto even with the roll up windows.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 13:21   #13

Boat: Aloha 34

Be careful where you buy the kit from. Buy the extended life belt, and IIRC, one must also replace all the idler pullies and tensioner as well. Most people also replace the water pump at the same time. Being Volkswagon, you will need some special tools as well. 1000 hours does seem premature.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 13:46   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm thinking the 1000 hours has to do with Acc drive belts?

Tags
men