Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2023, 19:47   #1

Boat: Baltic 43
VolvoPenta 2003Turbo

So I have been trying to figure out how raw water is getting into my oil. I have a 2003T, and after getting up to san francisco from ensenada, mx last july i have been trying to figure this out. In mexico i blew the oil cooler, housing ruptured, and replace with new unit. all good, no oil loss and no leaks. on the way up my raw water was dripping and also my vp muffler had pin holes on SS end caps. replaced muffler with ventus unit and replaced water pump">raw water pump with new.
flushed engine and put in new oil and ran for an hour. then ran in slip a few times and looked ok, though was not clear anymore and began to look opaque; now it's back to milky again.
no oil out exhaust, checked while running so I don't think it's the oil cooler.
new raw water pump and seem to be the fix as it didn't become milky right away as it did before I installed the new unit.
no loss of coolant in reservoir, engine runs cool, 140degs.
I did have a bad bearing in the turbo on the trip down from newport beach to ensendada and had the turbo rebuilt and reinstalled down there. oil was exiting exhaust on way down, could smell it. is there a way through the exhaust riser to get raw water into engine? not sure where to check/replace next.
thanks
Silver_Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2023, 09:24   #2

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40
Re: VolvoPenta 2003Turbo

I had a 2003T on my boat, and went through the cooling system exhaustively, to the point of plumbing in after-market oil cooler and heat exchanger.

Almost the only way I can think of to get seawater into the oil other than syphoning while shut down or over-cranking without starting the engine is the raw-water pump. If (and this is a big if) the weep hole is missing or clogged, and the seals are worn, the pump can leak seawater into the oil sump (where the oil is not pressurized.) But you said you have a new pump, so that is unlikely.

Is it possible that the seawater is from a previous leak and you simply did not get it all out? Maybe another one or two oil changes will tell.

Regarding your question on the exhaust elbow: On mine, the elbow pointed down at a 45 degree angle, and there was little chance of seawater going into the engine. Inside the elbow there is a stainless steel nozzle that separates the exhaust from the seawater until after the bend in the elbow. If the nozzle is corroded badly, perhaps it might allow a bit of water into the exhaust area, but this idea might be a bit of a stretch.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2023, 11:24   #3

Boat: Baltic 43
Re: VolvoPenta 2003Turbo

ok thanks. i'm going to run engine with miracle oil to clean up any residue and replace with new oil and try again. miracle oil was suggested by a neighbor boat who had same issue but was from back siphoning from exhaust.
Silver_Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo