Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2011, 12:02   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 50 Foot Custom Catamaran
Volvo Saildrive to Yanmar or Some Other Diesel

HELP I have a Volvo 110S saildrive leg coupled to an antique Volvo MD21B diesel, apparently made by elves in France at a Peugeot factory in the early 1980's. The saildrive leg is in perfect condition and I am aware that BetaMarine makes nice adpators into saildrives for their Kubota blocks, but is it not possible to adapt a Yanmar into the Volvo saildrive??? I could save about $6,000 USD this way since I have a nice Yanmar 4JHTE available. ANY HELP appreciated, I know there is a lot of knowledge out there. BetaMarine will not sell me an adaptor without buying their engine.
BajaSurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 15:36   #2

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
I believe you are correct. I'd probably go with a beta but see I'd check around for a kit somewhat like you see in this link. A lot depends on location but I am fairly certain there is an adapter for Yanmar as well. Why won't beta sell the adapter? Some money is better than none in my opinion.
http://www.kkemotorer.dk/pdf/Yanmar%...t%20-%20VP.pdf

I have a 110 myself but am not quite ready to repower. I do have the shop manual if you need it.

SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 07:13   #3
Marine Service Provider

Re: Volvo Saildrive to Yanmar or Some Other Diesel

It takes time and money to develop a working replacement for a saildrive engine and each one is developed for a particular engine. The adaption kit for the Beta Marine engine wont fit the Yanmar engine.

Stanley
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 09:01   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 50 Foot Custom Catamaran
Re: Volvo Saildrive to Yanmar or Some Other Diesel

Stanley I understand your company BetaMarine has significant R and D costs to make the adaptor, it just seems a shame that I cannot buy it separately and either fit it to a Universal engine (Kubota block) or possibly even adapt the adaptor. All I would need to decide is the spec sheet PDF for your adaptor and if it costs me XXXXX I may be very happy to pay it. It just so happens I have both a Yanmar and Universal engine available, rebuilt, with guarantees, and could save almost $6,000 USD. My email is bajasurvey@yahoo.com I manage a large marina in Mexico and have been in the industry my whole life if you want to email directly.
BajaSurvey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, saildrive, volvo, yanmar