Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2019, 11:57   #46

Re: Volvo Penta MDI (Black Box) failures

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweareDeep View Post
The part number from V-P for the replacement under the recall is 23231607.

However, at least from my experience in the US, while the blue box that V-P ships the MDI in is marked on the outside as 23231607, inside the box is part number 23195776, an earlier part number that is prone to failure.
I too can confirm this as my VP rep just sent me (2) 23195776 in a Blue parts box labeled 23231607. I told him thanks for sending two I'm sure I'll be needing both. Ray Z.

rayzickrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 12:49   #47

Boat: Mahe 36

I am fighting the same foe.
Several people expressed sympathy for VP. Sorry, I don’t. My bigger question is, Who pays the labor cost for the replacement MDI boxes.
At 2550 hrs+/- my port engine MDI croaked. With mine, pressing the power button brought up the text on the lcd on tach. After the usual preheat interval...nothing on lcd. System totally dead. The Volvo tech is half hour away and spent time Troubleshooting eventually by switching the stbd MDI. Yup, MDI is dead. Nope not covered by recall. The MDI stores engine time, so he switched it back.
He installed new MDI PN 23231607...lasted well under 2 hours.
Call dealership and describe the new old problem.
Will send tech out to re-troubleshoot. Is this repair, new MDI covered by warranty? I went through a Certified Volvo service center so I believe that the part is but how about labor? Well...back step, back step.
I can simply buy a new 23231607 and install myself but that voids Volvo part warranty. I don’t blame the dealer for covering cost but I don’t want to pay for it.
Is this the best option? Have them throw in a new MDI and choke down another $200?
Only on a boat would this be tolerated.
Rufduck

Rufduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 17:08   #48

After 5 MDIs (I paid for the labor and several of the units), we spent the off-season eliminating it. A perfectly good engine should not be limited by a piece of electronics.

S/V Challo
Challo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 10:53   #49

Hi Challo, pray tell, What did you do?
I now have zero confidence in the D1-30 MDI and Volvo‘s attempted correction.

For me the saga gets even better. The new MDI lasted less than 2 hours. The tech came back (another hour of travel) and checked it out. Before trying to start it, he fiddled with the fuse. Tried it and it fired right up. Again and again. Result...there is no problem. Well fiddle!
Okay, Labor Day weekend, nice weather, we are out of here. Prep boat, load boat, start boat to warm up engines. No problem. Shut down starboard engine, shut down port...won’t shut down. Use manual shut down. Try to duplicate the fault....unit is totally dead.
Call the tech on his day off. He will return Tuesday to diagnose (another hour travel). Order the part, return, 1+hour and install.
Considering a new hobby, rocketry, seems to have about the same success rate.

Cheers,
Old 29-06-2020, 09:17   #50

Boat: C&C 42 Landfall

I'm also a victim of the MDI box failure. It has been replaced twice in the past 3 months with less than 10 hours each and now the Volvo manager will not replace it anymore pretending my boat has an electric issue.
How would you guys handle this situation?
yobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 11:06   #51

Exactly what the local VP tech said. So, we took the faulty part and switched it over to the other engine, we are really “lucky” and have two. Took the old good box with 2600 hrs and installed on the “faulty” engine.
No problems with the old box but the new faulty one behaved erratically on the “good” engine.
Am curious. VP has issued up to 12 replacement part numbers for the MDI box. The latest is PN 23231607. Both of the replacement VP blue packaging is labeled 23231607 but the part inside is labeled 23195776. Per the VP parts list, it is the predecessor to 23231607. The VP tech’s explanation, 23231607 is the PN for a kit consisting of 23195776 and a page of literature.
That just doesn’t sound right.
I have already been billed $1300+ for part ($800)and labor for the first that lasted 1.4 hours. Am curious if I get another bill.
Will update when I do.
I know it’s a first world problem.
Cheers

Tags
Black Box, MDI, penta, volvo