Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2019, 14:30   #1

Volvo Penta MD2030-D Faulty Injection Pump?

Hi All- We've been having an issue with our Volvo Penta MD2030-D for months now and can't seem to trace down the source of the problem to fix it. We ran the motor at 2K RPM for about 8 hours when suddenly the RPMs dropped and started going up and down, then the engine would die. Bled the lines, problem persisted. The engine seems to run well at a steady idle, if we don't touch the throttle, especially when the engine is cold. As soon as we add power and then reduce power, she drops RPMs and dies. If we run at low idle, she dips her RPMs and runs rough every few minutes then has a sudden surge again and goes back up. Lower the throttle, she dies. There is no white smoke or black smoke and water is coming out the back nicely.

We have:
-checked the pickup tube on the tank, checked the fuel quality (it is very clean), ran the engine with the pickup tube and return line in a bucket of diesel (note that there are some bubbles in the return line). This eliminates the tank itself or the vent being an issue...
-replaced all fuel system hoses and fittings
-replaced stock shut-off valve with a new one
-changed the primary Volvo filter 3 times
-changed the secondary (Racor) filter 3 times, then eventually replaced it with an entirely new unit as we found a small leak)
-replaced the fuel lift pump
-cleaned and serviced all injectors
-replaced one injector that was leaking despite being serviced
-replaced all delivery tubes
-replaced return line (as it got a crack from muddling with it)
-checked mixing elbow for clog, it was not clogged. Cleaned it and re-installed it.
-removed and cleaned heat exchanger (hey why not while it's all apart!?)
-changed coolant (it was very dirty)

If we run the engine with an electric pump in place between the tank and the secondary (Racor) filter, it still has the above described issues, but not as bad. It runs better and does not completely die although it still sounds like it is hunting for fuel as the RPMs surge. We are going to do some more testing but we are suspecting the injector pump to perhaps be the issue. We understand from speaking to several Volvo mechanics that they've never seen one fail and they've never even sold one, but hey- there is a first time for everything, right? Our next step will be to pinch the return line a bit to try to push some fuel pressure backwards and see if she runs better, assuming she is not getting enough fuel consistently. Beating our heads against the wall here and hoping for some other opinions! Cheers in advance.
Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 15:47   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: Volvo Penta MD2030-D Faulty Injection Pump?

I would try pressurizing the fuel system up to the injection pump first as I'd suspect a fuel or air leak. Don't know yr engine but if the mechanics say the pump is bulletproof it likely is. You can take the pump to a diesel injection place & they can test it on a pump tester.Cost $100 here for a single cylinder pump test but you are at their mercy so look for a trustworthy place. I was very suspicious of the place that tested ours. I would try everything else first tho it's sounds as tho you've had a good crack. I had a lot of trouble eliminating all the fuel leaks on our Yanmar. Found that nylon washers worked better than copper ones where they aren't subject to too much heat
Hate to think what a volvo injection pump would cost, suspect you could buy a used engine for a similar price so regard it as last resort. Have heard of instances where a rebuilt pump hasn't solved the problem & it turns out to be an air leak
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 19:37   #3

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I also believe it's sucking air into the fuel line somewhere.
Lift pump diaphragm pin hole or corrosion of pump body?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 20:20   #4

Rig up a separate clean fuel supply direct to the injection pump with 6 to 8ft head on it this will eliminate a lot of may be -- could be's.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 20:44   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey doug View Post
Rig up a separate clean fuel supply direct to the injection pump with 6 to 8ft head on it this will eliminate a lot of may be -- could be's.
Yep +1 for what shakey doug said
Old 05-01-2019, 07:09   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

+1 on vaccum leak. Classic symptoms of that. They can be a bitch to track down.

What was the last work done on the engine or fuel system before the problem started? Likely your vaccum leak is there.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:24   #7

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26

couple of things to check:
  • make sure the lines are bled probably all the way, sometimes this can be quite involved and might require to crack the line(s) in different places
  • pump and injectors, correct fuel amount and squirt. best at a special shop, can be done on board as well
  • any governor?
  • disconnect linkages for kill & throttle and actuate by hand / make sure it's not just a wonky kill lever / broken retainer spring
  • measure compression
_andi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:33   #8

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

I don’t think your problem is in the fuel injection pump.

Once I saw a boat that had similar problems and it turned out to be a ‘bubble’ that had formed inside of the exhaust hose, restricting the exhaust, especially at higher RPM. I’m sure it would be difficult to check but it sounds like you’re doing a good job of troubleshooting.

Good luck, fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:02   #9

Boat: GibSea 472

Install a temporary fuel tank(a simple can of clean fuel attached directly to the fuel(feed pump) and injection pumps. Purge air from the short fuel line(transparent plastic tubing). The fuel can is raised so it will feed by gravity the injection pump. If the engine runs well with this setup, the problem is in the air in the fuel system. If the problem persist,then, the fuel injection need to be checked by an expert. But verify if any bubles are visible in the plastic tube. That may indicate a problem with some injector(rare)
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:24   #10

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

I seem to detect a reading comprehension problem here
He HAS pressurized the system with an electric pump between the fuel tank and filters
He HAS replaced the lift pump
I once had a problem with dying after an hour or so, turned out to be a kink in the fuel tank vent hose. In his case the bubbles in the return line would probably be the clue.

Maybe ignore Occam's Razor and start looking for zebras not horses.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:13   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
I seem to detect a reading comprehension problem here
He HAS pressurized the system with an electric pump between the fuel tank and filters
He HAS replaced the lift pump
I once had a problem with dying after an hour or so, turned out to be a kink in the fuel tank vent hose. In his case the bubbles in the return line would probably be the clue.

Maybe ignore Occam's Razor and start looking for zebras not horses.
I did mean a bit more pressure than his 3-5 psi ( likely) additional pump & also shakey dougs suggestion takes out all the possible failure points in the fuel feed which an additional pump does not so no it wasn't a lack of reading/comprehension on this end.
Also his additional pump made the symptoms less bad PERHAPS indicating a problem in the fuel supply to the pump
Not quite as simple as you think
Old 05-01-2019, 11:24   #12

Boat: Whitby 42 , Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloom View Post
Hi All- We've been having an issue with our Volvo Penta MD2030-D for months now and can't seem to trace down the source of the problem to fix it. We ran the motor at 2K RPM for about 8 hours when suddenly the RPMs dropped and started going up and down, then the engine would die. Bled the lines, problem persisted. The engine seems to run well at a steady idle, if we don't touch the throttle, especially when the engine is cold. As soon as we add power and then reduce power, she drops RPMs and dies. If we run at low idle, she dips her RPMs and runs rough every few minutes then has a sudden surge again and goes back up. Lower the throttle, she dies. There is no white smoke or black smoke and water is coming out the back nicely.

We have:
-checked the pickup tube on the tank, checked the fuel quality (it is very clean), ran the engine with the pickup tube and return line in a bucket of diesel (note that there are some bubbles in the return line). This eliminates the tank itself or the vent being an issue...
-replaced all fuel system hoses and fittings
-replaced stock shut-off valve with a new one
-changed the primary Volvo filter 3 times
-changed the secondary (Racor) filter 3 times, then eventually replaced it with an entirely new unit as we found a small leak)
-replaced the fuel lift pump
-cleaned and serviced all injectors
-replaced one injector that was leaking despite being serviced
-replaced all delivery tubes
-replaced return line (as it got a crack from muddling with it)
-checked mixing elbow for clog, it was not clogged. Cleaned it and re-installed it.
-removed and cleaned heat exchanger (hey why not while it's all apart!?)
-changed coolant (it was very dirty)

If we run the engine with an electric pump in place between the tank and the secondary (Racor) filter, it still has the above described issues, but not as bad. It runs better and does not completely die although it still sounds like it is hunting for fuel as the RPMs surge. We are going to do some more testing but we are suspecting the injector pump to perhaps be the issue. We understand from speaking to several Volvo mechanics that they've never seen one fail and they've never even sold one, but hey- there is a first time for everything, right? Our next step will be to pinch the return line a bit to try to push some fuel pressure backwards and see if she runs better, assuming she is not getting enough fuel consistently. Beating our heads against the wall here and hoping for some other opinions! Cheers in advance.
Did you check the Overflow Valve in the return fuel line from the injection pump ?
Its the one that regulates the supply pump pressure and is most of the time a banjo bolt
in the line back to the tank
Cheers
Siggi
svthreecheers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:49   #13

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

I'm guessing a problem with one or more of the springs in the inset shown below.

or perhaps a stuck or sticking sliding sleeve # 7 linking to the throttle lever/injection pump rack mechanism shown above...

jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 13:22   #14

Boat: Victoire 1122

@svthreecheers, I gues you are in the right direction. I read the injectors were checked (demounted) and the return pipe has been changed for a new one. On top of the injectors is the return pipe mounted with a copper washer. Are these washers also renewed? In that case please check if you have the washers with a smal hole (1 mm ap.) in it. The diesel to be returned must pass these holes to get into the return pipe. So when you replaced copper washers without this smal hole...…. I hope you got the problem.
Anyhow, the (Zyxel) pressure pump on my VP2040 was damaged by the use of 'strange' diesel. Visual nothing to see at the diesel. The problem came up after running the engine for about 12 hours continue; By accident I hit the speed lever; the engine rpm went down (ofcourse, I hit the lever). Pushing down the lever again resulted in a complete dead engine, and never started again. At least (after filter changes; new rubber hose between engine filter and pump)I built out the pump for a technical check at a service station. the pump part for the second cilinder could not move anymore. After cleaning and adjusting the pump by the service station and mounting the pump again, the enige runs perfect.
Horus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 15:31   #15

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

Have you replaced all of the flexible lines between fuel tank and engine? I found a couple of 15 year old lines cracked at the hose clamps. Nothing was visible or leaked until they were flexed.
If you think all these lines are OK try flexing them while the engine is running.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
md2030, penta, pump, volvo