Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2020, 07:40   #1

Boat: Freedom 32
Volvo Penta MD17D repairable?

I'm looking at another boat and would appreciate your advice on the motor. It's a 1983 Volvo Penta MD19 with a saildrive. The boat has been standing for a number of years (10+) - the motor turns over but does not run.I know the saildrive will need at least a new diaphragm seal kit. Are parts for this motor still available, if it needs repair or overhaul? What about the Volvo saildrive from the 80's?

Bearing in mind that I can't afford to buy a new motor and saildrive, should I go down the road of reviving this engine, or look at another used engine.

Thank you and stay safe.
Craig Cape Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:04   #2

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch
Re: Volvo Penta MD19 repairable?

Volvo Penta MD19 46-68 4 1964 1968

You must have written down the wrong model number

Speaking from experience (MD11C) if it's green, run away!!!
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:02   #3

Boat: Farr 43`

Hi

I have an MD17D.
Circa 1984
It's green.

I wanted the boat and was prepared to replace the engine but no before I got the boat home.

I've been into the motor, the condition is not good.

Parts are available if expensive.

The cost of performing all the required repairs makes replacement economic.

Thing is it now runs and shows no signs of not running even though a history of overheating (now fixed) was apparent.

Fresh fuel, oil & filters. Clean the cooling system, replace impeller, hoses & belts, adjust the valves. Install lift pump kit.

All up spend $500.00 parts.

It's still noisy (down from 32db to 24db measured at the companionway), blows a lot less smoke and starts first go from cold.

Longest I've run it 72 hours continuous without a hic-up and the fuel consumption is not that bad - about 2/3 gallon and hour @1750rpm -5 kts.

I'll replace it when it dies but really "run away it's green" is orthodox sensible advice.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:13   #4

Yes that's it - the MD17D. Sorry about that. Like you, I also want the boat and may have to just find another engine. My current boat had a MD7 which I replaced with a used low hrs yanmar two years ago and it's still running well. The problem with this boat is finding something with a compatible saildrive.
Old 04-04-2020, 13:17   #5

Right, so you are looking at an engine that is 36 years old, but like Rucksta you might find that $500 gets you an engine that starts on first go, is reasonably fuel efficient, doesn’t smoke much, etc. Best thing to do is get the engine surveyed and find out where you stand.

Current production VP engines , 30 h.p. and 40 h.p., are available with saildrives and repower kits that will fit the existing fiberglass engine bed in this boat. Might open up your options..
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:24   #6

Boat: Currently yachtless

The state of the exhaust manifold is very important with these old raw water cooled Volvo's as they are very expensive to replace if you can get one. They have had salt water sitting in the chambers for 35 plus years and it can and does get very ugly. I tried to resurrect mine (MD11C) unsuccessfully eventually luckily finding a functioning second hand one (rare as hens teeth). Over heating is often rife because as well as the poor condition of the manifold all the cooling chambers in the heads & barrels will be blocked or semi blocked with a tar like substance which will necessitate dismantling and systematically drilling / cleaning out. Gaskets & seals alone for this job will run $500 and the manifold will be approx $1200 plus new. I will not own a raw water cooled motor or a Volvo ever again.
Walaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:48   #7

Boat: S2 35C

VP engines are great . . . until they're not. I have one and believe they are well designed and generally reliable. BUT-if you need a significant new part expect to pay 10X what your first $$ guess is, and hope that VP still offers it. My next will be Betamarine (marinized Kubota).
duckpond49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:49   #8

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

VP engines are great . . . until they're not. I have one and believe they are well designed and generally reliable. BUT-if you need a significant new part expect to pay 10X what your first $$ guess is, and hope that VP still offers it. My next will be Betamarine (marinized Kubota).
Absolutely my experience. Parts prices if available are unbelievable. You could fix the engine, sure - just chuck loads of time & money at it. Then what have you got - still obsolete, still just waiting for the next problem to show up. Bite the bullet - replace it (my vote also for Beta) unless you are happy to sail with an engine that will fail any place, anytime - probably when you least want it to..

An Australian once told me that you could flog a dead horse from Sydney to Melbourne but when you get to Melbourne, you still have a dead horse...
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 13:38   #9

Re: Volvo Penta MD17D repairable?

If interested, I have some MD 11/17 parts in excellent shape. Populated heads, exchanger (FWC), pumps, injectors, other..
mark maulden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 15:16   #10

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Some thoughts ... is it FW or SW cooled? If SW cooled scrap it...
If FW cooled can you do the work yourself? If the answer is no then scrap it...

Parts are available... they are easy to work on .... one critical part is the FW circ pump.... don't try looking for a new one... get the old one rebuilt...

All that said ... drop a few dollars on it and have someone who knows engines check it out.

If he can't get it running without major work... buy a Beta....
Old 05-04-2020, 20:47   #11

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

I replaced one of those years back - they have an inherently weak gearbox. The cones wear and also reverse cone thrust is taken by a circlip on a helix and this can pop off leaving you without gears.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:47   #12

This is why CF is such a great forum. Others out there who have been down this road share valuable info. , saving me the pain of the experience.
I will have a mechanic take a look and see if it can be resuscitated without too much $$. After exploring the availability and cost of parts plus the mechanics time, I'll most likely just change the motor now rather than later.
Thank you.

Keep well and stay safe.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:10   #13

Boat: Farr 43`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Cape Town View Post
This is why CF is such a great forum. Others out there who have been down this road share valuable info. , saving me the pain of the experience.
I will have a mechanic take a look and see if it can be resuscitated without too much $$. After exploring the availability and cost of parts plus the mechanics time, I'll most likely just change the motor now rather than later.
Thank you.

Keep well and stay safe.
Good call.

If you can't do the work yourself it's unlikely to be economic to repair.

See what the inspection reveals.
Mine yielded a reduction in the purchase price.

It's ghetto motor it needs a shade tree mechanic.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:15   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckpond49 View Post
I've had a beta 30/ tmc60A from new six years ago, about 2100 hrs: great base engine, pity about the Beta part.

Rgds
Draughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 17:23   #15

Boat: Contest 36S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark maulden View Post
If interested, I have some MD 11/17 parts in excellent shape. Populated heads, exchanger (FWC), pumps, injectors, other..
Hey Mark-
Just saw your 2 year old post.
I have an original Md17D in my 1985 Contest 36s.
I bought an old MD17C from a guy who was empowering and pulled off all the goodies for back up parts.

I had a heat exchanger shop in Bellingham, WA tend to the cleaning of the extra HE, but they ended up splitting the body of it while trying to make a mend while glazing.

Do you still have parts? More specifically the FW heat exchanger. If so where are you located? Would be interested in picking up an extra before we cross the pacific. Would be interested in any gaskets or the round but squared O-Rings that VP uses for seating the cooling system.

Cheers!
Brandon
SVsunyata222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
volvo, penta