Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2021, 13:14   #1

Boat: Catana 41
Volvo Penta EVC "on" power

I'm trying to add a relay to run an electric fuel pump on my Volvo D2-40f with the EVC Start/Stop panel. Normally I would have just picked up power off the on/run terminal on the ignition switch, but the Start/Stop panel is a sealed unit and Volvo makes it very clear they don't want you to cut into the wiring harness. There's a purple wire for the oil pressure sensor coming out of the MDI black box that has 12v when the on button is pressed, but I don't really want to tap into this line as it's run around the back of the engine and is subject to a lot of heat and vibration. Anyone have a good idea of where to get power for the relay when I press the on button on the Start/Stop panel?

Thanks,
Jason
JasonBRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 20:33   #2

Re: Volvo Penta EVC "on" power

The MDI box has three large harnesses exiting the box: an engine harness, a control harness running to the start/stop panel, and a “multi link” harness running to the instruments or the instrument panel. This “multilink” harness carries power, ground and the instrument can bus data wires.

As you know it’s not a good idea to modify/cut any of the wiring in the engine harness, as this most likely will interfere with the engine operation or the engine alarm system. As an aside, the engine doesn’t have an oil pressure sender, but it does have an oil pressure switch to drive the oil alarm, and the oil pressure switch wire color is white/blue. The purple wire in the engine harness is used to energize the stop solenoid and stop the engine.

There is an accessory harness and relay which is available from VP to do just what you want to do, ie. drive items such as the fuel pump. This relay harness is connected into the multilink harness, either at the engine end or at the instrument end of the harness. When the button panel is turned on, the relay in the harness energizes and powers up whatever accessory is connected to it. The relay is controlled by the engine electrical system, but isolates the engine from whatever is controlled by the relay.

The part number for this relay harness is (was) 3594745. I’m not sure if this number is still current so you will have to check with a local dealer.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo