Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2017, 15:24   #1

Boat: Mahe 36
Volvo Penta D1-30 tachometer replace

Help please.
Have VP D1-30 in Mahe 36. Replacing both tachometers. Work but LCDs are unreadable as both lenses are sun crazed.
Installation looks straight forward but the VP universal tach PN 873992 must be coded to the particular engine. The supplied list of codes by engine (types?) doesn't list the D1-30.
Anyone else doing or done this and what is the code. The list of codes goes from 4 through 21.
I must be staring right at it but just can't see it.

I'm still trying to discover how to search the wealth of information here.

Thanks all
Rufduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 17:19   #2

Re: Volvo Penta D1-30 tachometer replace

Use code 14.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 17:40   #3

Thank you. Have you done this? If so, what did you use for a fine tune?

Cheers.
Old 09-02-2017, 18:01   #4

Have done many many.......

It should be very easy....just remember to wait 10 seconds after selecting the code to allow the tach to go from the "code" window back to the hour meter mode, or the setting won't take.

If you feel a need to do a fine adjust, it's best to use a photo tach, but I don't think you will find it necessary. The D1-30 engine uses an inductive pickup which counts slots machined into the outer rim of the flywheel, so it will be pretty accurate. No alternator belt slip, etc.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 19:33   #5

Again, thank you.

Is it possible to transfer the hours to the new tachs? At night in just the right position I can make out the hours. If not, I'll just make a log entry. It doesn't bother me but future continuity might be nice.

Understand now what they were saying re the fine tuning. Can't for the life of me understand why. It is after all an analog instrument and if for syncing the engines, I can hear and feel that. Will know soon enough if 2000 on th tachs is high or low based on fuel burn.

Now to find the PN for a remote oil filter kit, and, and...gotta love boats.

Cheers.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:03   #6

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufduck View Post
Help please.
Have VP D1-30 in Mahe 36. Replacing both tachometers. Work but LCDs are unreadable as both lenses are sun crazed.
Installation looks straight forward but the VP universal tach PN 873992 must be coded to the particular engine. The supplied list of codes by engine (types?) doesn't list the D1-30.
Anyone else doing or done this and what is the code. The list of codes goes from 4 through 21.
I must be staring right at it but just can't see it.

I'm still trying to discover how to search the wealth of information here.

Thanks all
There is a company in NC that can replace the LCD and lenses. I don't remember the name but is cost me about $80 to get the LCD display replaced.

I'll bet there are other companies that provide the same repair services.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:31   #7

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 39

The hour meter LCD problem seems to be quite common from what I've seen on the web. My 2001 volvo penta md22 has a vdo tach with hr meter that has gone blank. There is info on servicing, but few reports of success. If anyone has info on who can fix these things, that would be very helpful. That said, maybe it makes more sense to spend another $25 to $35 on a new tach. Finding the correct part # has been challenging as the old # has been replaced by new # without a cross reference. Or maybe I've missed something.

Sent from my VK815 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Mr O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:46   #8

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr O View Post
The hour meter LCD problem seems to be quite common from what I've seen on the web. My 2001 volvo penta md22 has a vdo tach with hr meter that has gone blank. There is info on servicing, but few reports of success. If anyone has info on who can fix these things, that would be very helpful. That said, maybe it makes more sense to spend another $25 to $35 on a new tach. Finding the correct part # has been challenging as the old # has been replaced by new # without a cross reference. Or maybe I've missed something.

See my post above. You will have to do a web search to find the name of the company or just look for any tach repair company and call them.

It's going to be far more than $35 more for a new tach. It could be $200 more. And the repaired tach will still have the correct hour reading. It's just the display that fails..
Old 10-02-2017, 09:33   #9

All this agrees with what I've found on line except for the lense replacment. Replacement was specifically not an option according to everything I read except here.
For me it's immaterial as I have $620 worth of tachs in hand (PN 873992) which my parts supplier now informs me may not be the correct part even though VP lists it as for the D1-30B (halfway down the table).
Sigh...at least the tide is in so I have an easy walk to the boat.
Cheers all,
Old 10-02-2017, 10:02   #10

Rwidman, I did see you post regarding the shop in NC and meant to say that if anyone has more specific info on shops they have used to replace the LCD and if it was a good long term solution. The prices for replacing my vdo tach is $108 to $150 from various suppliers. Higher if you go thru Volvo Penta. Similar experience with my water pump">raw water pump parts. Twice the price for VP vs Jabsco for exact same part.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:14   #11

Mr O,
What engine do you have? Was not aware that there were aftermarket suppliers for Volvo Penta.. Could you give me a link?

Cheers
Old 10-02-2017, 11:01   #12

Rufduck, Volvo Penta MD22 is my engine, but it's made by Perkins. The raw water pump has a VP part number, but is made by vdo. The parts are not after market. If you go to the source, you eliminate a significant retail upcharge. I will get some links soon.

Old 10-02-2017, 22:25   #13

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

Simple search to make Bob your uncle...

Parts
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:59   #14

Correction: raw water pump is made by Jabsco which is under the name Xylem Water Solutions*in the UK. Vdo gauges are sold by many online sources and it is worth shopping around.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:56   #15

Hi. I have same situation with a volv o d2-55 engine same tachometer. I have been suggested to use code 6 but tickover rpm seems low then rpm shows higher than we would guess when cruising at what we think Is 1600 but shows 2000 Is this the right code. If so what do the figures in fine tuning mean and how should it be adjusted?
SteveGreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo