Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2022, 22:50   #46

Boat: MIrage 29
Re: Volvo Penta D1-30 Rubber Cushions - any alternative ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4tyogi View Post
Did you go for the original mounts once again? Gosh they are a pain for sure, especially at this price.

I am choosing between Polyflex (made in Brisbane) and Isoflex. The Polyflex P#7.5CTF73-20-16(shore 60) is the mount they recommend, and the distance between the bolts is also 140, which is easy. The cost for 4 mounts is just over 1000AUD, which is about the same as you paid for the Volvos.

A similar sized mount from Isoflex falls into the next category up and costs twice the price of the Polyflex one. I reached out to Isoflex to see if I can get a better deal, however I doubt it.
correct, went with original ones because the difference was about $80 for each mount, and I didn't want to drill new holes on the engine support metal base.

I didn't try polyflex but next time, I will for sure get a quote. If the price is right, you gotta try it... cannot be held hostage on such insane prices.
frajolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 21:02   #47

Boat: MIrage 29

By the way, any recomendations on aftermarket oil filter?
frajolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 00:04   #48

Boat: Ranger Tug R21EC

Quote:
Did you go for the original mounts once again? Gosh they are a pain for sure, especially at this price.

I am choosing between Polyflex (made in Brisbane) and Isoflex. The Polyflex P#7.5CTF73-20-16(shore 60) is the mount they recommend, and the distance between the bolts is also 140, which is easy. The cost for 4 mounts is just over 1000AUD, which is about the same as you paid for the Volvos.

A similar sized mount from Isoflex falls into the next category up and costs twice the price of the Polyflex one. I reached out to Isoflex to see if I can get a better deal, however I doubt it.
I went with the Polyflex mounts you noted above for my D1-30. I have had them on for about 400hrs now and do not see any visual issues such as the cracking I had in the original mounts. My observations with these mounts are: I trailer the boat and fire the engine up on the trailer after each use to do a fresh water flush. When on the trailer, there is less engine vibration than with the original Volvo mounts. At crusing speed they are also nice and smooth but at idle or low RPM's which I use 90% of the time (trolling) there is a slightly higher vibration noticeable through the hull. If, down the road I have to replace again, I will try the softer Polyflex model with the Shore Hardness of 50 and not 60 which these have.
Newf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2023, 12:01   #49

Boat: Moody 31 Mk2

Hi guys,

been monitoring this thread for a week or so as i thought my engine mounts might need replacing.

https://www.trelleborg.com/en/anti-v...-product-range

(10-00545)

These seem to be the most like for like to the replacements i find on the VP parts catalogue https://www.volvopenta.com/shop/523270/parts/23431725

I am away with work for the next 6 months and the boat is out of the water so i can take my time choosing.

I have emailed a few of the companies suggested but with no reply (r&d marine etc)

I've included a picture of one of my engine mounts. sorry it's bad its taken from a film.

Any recommendations would be great and thanks in advance,

Charlie
Moomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2023, 13:43   #50

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ua5HLBDNjrRJwobf8
Old 19-03-2023, 20:14   #51

Good pics Charlie, but take a look at Parts4engines in UK... volvo mounts, not as flash as those $400 mounts but still pretty good and a lot less expensive.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 06:46   #52

Boat: None

AMC mounts are excellent quality. Made in Spain.

https://www.mecanocaucho.com/en/prod...t/brb/#plano-6
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2023, 11:36   #53

Thanks for the replies! all relevent options.

As long as they fit my current arrangement i would be happy to try them. I need the distance between the holes to the hull to be around 140mm.

Charlie
Old 20-03-2023, 11:49   #54

Boat: None

The AMC mounts are very similar to the original Volvo mounts and come in 140mm spacing.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 17:58   #55

Boat: Beneteau First 35s7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf1 View Post
I went with the Polyflex mounts you noted above for my D1-30. I have had them on for about 400hrs now and do not see any visual issues such as the cracking I had in the original mounts. My observations with these mounts are: I trailer the boat and fire the engine up on the trailer after each use to do a fresh water flush. When on the trailer, there is less engine vibration than with the original Volvo mounts. At crusing speed they are also nice and smooth but at idle or low RPM's which I use 90% of the time (trolling) there is a slightly higher vibration noticeable through the hull. If, down the road I have to replace again, I will try the softer Polyflex model with the Shore Hardness of 50 and not 60 which these have.
Thank you @Newf1 - I finally replaced my Volvo mounts with these and now I am totally with you on your comments. The new mounts are a lot sturdier and better engineered. The original Volvo cushions seem quite flimsy compared to them, and I can see how they could develop a crack in the rubber eventually, although mine are virtually new under 70 hrs.

The vibration at idle is more noticeable through the hull now, however I have not tested them on cruising speed for too long yet. It’s funny that I originally wanted to order the “orange cores” which are Shore Hardness 50, however at Polyflex they talked me into the “blue cores” SH60 saying this is the recommended hardness for this engine and that I can always change the cores later if I am not happy. Now I am thinking of going SH50 as well, apparently you can buy just the new cores from Polyflex and replace them yourself (although I found the nuts at the bottom of the mounts are very hard to undo). Not looking forward to the hassle of replacing all 4 mounts again, however if you do them one by one you do not even have to lift the engine as they say.

Beneteau First 35s7 / Auckland, NZ
f4tyogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 02:41   #56

Boat: Beneteau First 35s7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
I call BS on that one. Many mechanics will tell you you can only use the original branded marinisers part. Maybe it happened like he said but it could be from bad mount selection . You just need to size to fit the weight & mounting dimensions & hardness as others have said.
google motor mounts & you may find some local manufacturer who can make them for you. We have them in NZ which is only a small country. They make mounts for Yanmars 1/2 the price of the yanmar agents.
Hi, Compass790

For NZ - which manufactures and mounts are you referring to? Thanks, Olaf
f4tyogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 15:26   #57

Boat: Ranger Tug R21EC

Quote:
Thank you @Newf1 - I finally replaced my Volvo mounts with these and now I am totally with you on your comments. The new mounts are a lot sturdier and better engineered. The original Volvo cushions seem quite flimsy compared to them, and I can see how they could develop a crack in the rubber eventually, although mine are virtually new under 70 hrs.

The vibration at idle is more noticeable through the hull now, however I have not tested them on cruising speed for too long yet. It’s funny that I originally wanted to order the “orange cores” which are Shore Hardness 50, however at Polyflex they talked me into the “blue cores” SH60 saying this is the recommended hardness for this engine and that I can always change the cores later if I am not happy. Now I am thinking of going SH50 as well, apparently you can buy just the new cores from Polyflex and replace them yourself (although I found the nuts at the bottom of the mounts are very hard to undo). Not looking forward to the hassle of replacing all 4 mounts again, however if you do them one by one you do not even have to lift the engine as they say.

Hi f4tyogi,,,I actually had to replace these inserts. At around 500hrs I noticed that the front 2 had compressed by quite a bit, compared to little or very minor compression on the back two. I contacted the company and they said they had previously modified them and would send me a free new set of inserts. I just paid for shipping. If you just installed yours you probably have the modified version. Only 200hrs on this set and looks OK but so did the last ones at 400hrs.

I think that you will find these are smooth at cruising speeds.

You mentioned that you found the nuts very tight at the bottom of the nut. Was just wondering why you had to loosen them if they were a new set. Yes, they are tight for sure, as I found out when I replaced my inserts. There's a bit of loctite on there but the nuts did break free.
Newf1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cushions, grass, penta, volvo