Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2018, 08:35   #16

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: Volvo Penta 2003 T sump filling with diesel.

Check oil before you start engine next time. If oil has diesel mixed with it,you will smell the diesel by sniffing the dipstick. You can also feel diesel by rubbing the dipstick oil between your fingers. Pure lube oil is slippery. Diesel fuel has a "squeaky" texture-not sure how else to describe the difference.
What do you mean when you said you filled the oil up to the half way point on the dipstick? There is an engraved mark on the dipstick at the Full point.
Did you change the oil filter also? If you did,the filter will take a half ltr to fill it.

Here is link to a manual https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3yih5rsa2...anual.pdf?dl=0

Len
Old 01-04-2018, 09:10   #17

Link to Owner Operator Manual https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ik3yyba4d...0Man..pdf?dl=0
Old 01-04-2018, 09:12   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
If it is diesel fuel your oil will be much thinner than normal oil. Check this first. If the oil does not look and feel thinner you may have no problem at all. It may also smell like diesel fuel.

If you do have diesel in your sump fix the problem and change your oil and filter before running the engine again.

This can be a dangerous situation. If the oil gets too high the engine can start burning the lubricating oil and you will have a run away engine that you will have a hard time stopping.

How to stop a run away engine is another topic. But you do not want to be in that situation.

Sorry
I must have been typing same time as you Good points. / Len
Old 01-04-2018, 09:13   #19

Boat: Custom 34 ft., sail-assisted trawler, wood hull, built 2005

A few thoughts come to mind: Oil expanded when it got hot; leaky diaphragm in mechanical fuel pump, leaky injectors, or leaky injection pump. If coolant, a blown head gasket.
Briney Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:15   #20

I have had this occur from a push rod that came off the rocker. The engine seemed to run fine. but with the exhaust valve permanently closed, raw fuel was being pushed past the rings into the sump.
Also had this occur from an injector that sat for a long time, crudded up the tip and it was squirting a stream instead of atomizing. So the raw fuel went past the piston into the sump in that case also. The engine was making about a quart of oil in 8 hours run time.
Both instances the exhaust was putting a heavy oil sheen on the water though... do you have that?
Both times the oil looked like engine oil and identifying it as having diesel in it was not easily apparent. Although if you had a jar of each to compare it may have been.
Are you sure you put the right amount of oil in the engine?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:37   #21

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

This just happened to me a month or so ago. I changed the oil, after which I ran the engine 2-3 times. Then one day, I opened up the boat and thought to myself, I think I smell diesel. Checked the dipstick and the "oil" was way high, but obviously contained diesel from the smell. Also, I started the engine, and oil mixed with diesel was spewing out through the air filter. Checked the lift pump diaphragm, which was not obviously the problem (no pinholes, though I am installing the repair kit anyway), so I moved on to the injector pump with a heavy heart, because there were no other obvious causes. And indeed, after removing the injector pump and all four injectors, that was the culprit. The injector pump needed to be rebuilt, as did three of four injectors. That's how diesel was getting into engine oil.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:40   #22

Boat: Outbound 44

Just an fyi, if you change from the old style fuel pump to the newer one you will also need to change the hardline that exits the pump as the connection position is different. It is an.easy swap.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:47   #23

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

Quote:
If it is diesel fuel your oil will be much thinner than normal oil. Check this first. If the oil does not look and feel thinner you may have no problem at all. It may also smell like diesel fuel.

If you do have diesel in your sump fix the problem and change your oil and filter before running the engine again.

This can be a dangerous situation. If the oil gets too high the engine can start burning the lubricating oil and you will have a run away engine that you will have a hard time stopping.

How to stop a run away engine is another topic. But you do not want to be in that situation.
Does that model engine have decompressor levers? it's why I like the GM series Yanmars, although they also suffer from the same fuel pump diaphragm issue.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:26   #24

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:

Snuff the air, a rain jacket works good in a pinch for a run away.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:37   #25

Boat: Roberts Fortuna 37'

When the motor is running there is white smoke and a light film on the water.
Thulani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:41   #26

Boat: Roberts Fortuna 37'

Quote:

The oil is thinner- it drips off the dipstick, but doesn't really smell of diesel.
Thulani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:55   #27

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulani View Post
The oil is thinner- it drips off the dipstick, but doesn't really smell of diesel.
From your posts it sounds like you need a mechanic to look at it.

I do not want to sound like an alarmist BUT you need this fixed before you destroy the engine.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:59   #28

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Sorry
I must have been typing same time as you Good points. / Len
deblen, no need to apologize. I am a terrible typist and it takes me a while to do a response.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 14:30   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
From your posts it sounds like you need a mechanic to look at it.

I do not want to sound like an alarmist BUT you need this fixed before you destroy the engine.
Particularly as its the turbo variety which isn't known for being robust. The naturally aspirated varieties are better.

White smoke and an oil sheen could be the turbo or head gasket.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, penta, volvo