Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2019, 19:16   #1

Volvo penta 2003 how much anti-freeze remains in engine

Hello,

We need to replace the antifreeze mix (AF) in our engine. To ensure we get the right coolant/distilled water AF mix (some of our winters are -25 F cold), I need to know how much old AF mix is left in the engine after a drain.

In looking at my notes from the last change, we were only able to add 105 ounces to a system that is approximately 216 ounces. That means more than half is staying in the engine. That seems too high.

The manual says my system (without water heater) uses 186 ounces. I roughly calculated my coolant hoses to the water heater carry 30 ounces.

I drain my engine using the plug under the starter on the starboard side of the engine. That hole is clean and I get good drain flow. Last time I did this, I decided not to disconnect the hoses to the fresh water pump. My thinking was that the drain plug is so low on the engine that disconnecting the hose going to the pump would not gain much.

Question – Could someone else with this engine tell me how much they are able to drain from their system. If you are able to drain more, what method do you use?

Thanks in advance.
redbeard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 08:09   #2

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40
Re: Volvo penta 2003 how much anti-freeze remains in engine

There are inexpensive antifreeze testers. One could set up to recirculate AF through the engine via a bucket and external pump such as a drill pump. Test the AF periodically and add water or concentrated AF until the mix is correct.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 12:16   #3

Re: Volvo penta 2003 how much anti-freeze remains in engine

Thanks for the reply jamhass. We had a similar idea and that idea was to be our backup plan. For anyone who wants to know how much anti-freeze remains in a Volvo 2003B with freshwater cooling and a water heater, please read on.

Fortunately, we were able to drain 195 ounces out of 216.

I'm not sure why this year we drained more this time but I think it has to do with air venting. In the past, I opened the anti-freeze reservoir, thinking that the hose that connects that reservoir to the thermostat housing would provide enough air for the system to drain. This year, again the system drained maybe 100 ounces. Then someone on our team suggested we disconnect the hose from the thermostat housing. As soon as I did, I heard a rush of air and more coolant (another 95 ounces) began to drain from the block.

I don't yet understand why disconnecting the hose worked, unless the hose has a full blockage somewhere, which is worrisome. However, that will be a job for this spring.
redbeard1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, penta, volvo