Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 13:56   #1

Volvo penta 2002 raw water flow problem

Hi everyone.
I keep having an annoying problem on my Volvo 2002 MD on my sailboat.
About a month ago I noticed that after some time of motoring there was no water flow on the exhaust. I immediately stopped the engine and first thing I did was change the impeller although the old one didnt look bad.
It solved the problem but only until my next trip when the problem repeated.This time, after sailing for a while and starting the motor - again no waterflow.
Since then I did all of these things:
checked all seawater pipes and found a small piece of impeller in one,
tested the thermostat (OK opening on different temps) and changed its gasket,
flushed the whole seawater system with HCL acid - many nasty water came out,
put off and cleaned the exhaust elbow (was dirty but not fully clogged),
made a partial rebuild of my raw water pump because of little oil leaking (new shaft kit, orings and gaskets)
When motor starts cold the water flow is good, after driving for a while or more hours and restarting it is also good, but after sailing and then restarting it sometimes (not always) doesn't flow out on the exhaust.
Except the first time, I am pretty sure that this happens only after sailing. Then I have to restart my engine once or twice and then it starts flowing out again.
What to do next - I am thinking of removing head and mecanical clenaing of all water passages) (not sure if that is necessary), or buying completely new water pump.
Any other ideas?
brale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 14:02   #2

Re: Volvo penta 2002 raw water flow problem

You might be getting air in the raw water line. Does your through-hull come out of the water when you sail?
Bambolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 14:08   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambolera View Post
Does your through-hull come out of the water when you sail?
Not sure that is possible. I have a saildrive SD120 and the cooling water inlet is on the SD leg in front of the prop.
I really do like good closehauled sailing on the side , but am pretty sure the water inlet is always in water
Old 09-09-2013, 14:11   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Is it possible a barnacle has broken off in there and is rattling around sometimes being sucked up against the intake?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 14:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Is it possible a barnacle has broken off in there and is rattling around sometimes being sucked up against the intake?

Mark
Few days ago I was diving below the boat for checking the zincs and the intake hole is absolutely clean.
I have never checked the space between the intake hole and seacock but nothing larger cannot enter inside
Old 09-09-2013, 14:36   #6

After the exhaust elbow the exhaust hose goes into the plastic gooseneck and then the exhaust hose goes further to the exhaust/water outlet.
What is the function of that gooseneck? Is it only for not letting the water go back to the exhaust or it has more functions?
I haven't removed and cleaned that gooseneck, can it be clogging the waterflow?
Old 15-10-2013, 05:22   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brale View Post

Few days ago I was diving below the boat for checking the zincs and the intake hole is absolutely clean.
I have never checked the space between the intake hole and seacock but nothing larger cannot enter inside
I have the same problem in my volvo 2003. The intermitent clog was in the seacock. I disconnect the hose open the seacock and pass a flexible wire. A lot of water came in and some barnacles and i have good flow again.
egbarrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 06:20   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I used to have the same problem with a 2003. It seems the raw water intake impeller loses its prime when heeled during sailing. Sometimes it'll come back after a while (when it goes you hear a hollow sound from the exhaust) sometimes I had to close the through hull and prime the line through the strainer, reopen the line and start.

Tags
penta, raw water, volvo, water