Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2017, 23:00   #1

Volvo Penta 2002 Injector leaking Diesel up

Hi Guys
This is my first post so be gentle!

I have the problem above which is turning into a nightmare for me. The engine started squrting diesel from around the injector when we were out one day and I got towed home to be on the safe side.

My mate, bless him, ripped out the injector to help and we all went home. It was only then I found out that heaps of bits were missing, springs etc, I've managed to find them all and have replaced the o ring that goes around the injector casing, but the diesel is still squirting. (Got a clean bilge now tho!)

Back on land was talking to a fella and he said there should be nylon spacers that fit below the o rings. I'm guessing they are still in the engine block and one is split, but it means an hour drive and putting the tender in the water to go check.

Can anyone confirm these nylon spacers exist, and if so what size they are so I can get some replacements?

I've looked at the schematics but they don't even look like the parts I have.

Many thanks in advance!!

PS I don;t know the exact model but it's defo a 2cyl 2000 series. Theres no ID plate.

I'm looking at the O Ring Item 8

https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en...-23-11669.aspx
NautiWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 06:50   #2

Re: Volvo Penta 2002 Injector leaking Diesel up

A little confusion here........your title states the injector is leaking, but the link and O ring reference refers to the high pressure injection pump.

Concerning the injection pump...
Normally there is just the #8 O ring to which you refer that keeps fuel from leaking up from around the threads in the high pressure pump body. The spacers which were mentioned are probably the gaskets /shims which are found between the injection pump body and the surface of the engine block where the pump sits. These shims are used to set the injection timing on each cylinder, and they come in varying thicknesses. Thicker shim, more retarded timing; thinner shim, more advanced timing. However if one of these shims is cracked you won't have a fuel leak, but could have an engine oil leak.

If your pump continues to leak fuel after replacing the #8 O ring, I suggest taking the pump to a compentent fuel injection shop and allowing them to have
a look at it. Something is wrong.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 14:42   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Heaps of bits were missing. Could you explain?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 15:38   #4

Boat: CSY 33 Cutter

I may have a spare injector pump if it comes down to that. Let me check my stash.
Polar Opposite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 15:45   #5

I may have a spare injector pump. Let me know if it comes to that.
Old 31-01-2017, 02:31   #6

Hi Guys

Thanks heaps for all the replies, its nice to know there are people willing to lend some advice particularly when I obviously need it!!

So yes, it IS the high pressure pump that I have. I can confirm that I have removed items 6 (Retainer), 8 (O Ring), 15 (Filling In Plug), 16 (Adjusting Washer), 7(Spring), 9 (brass gasket) and 4 (Delivery Valve) and no others.

The diesel is bubbling up through where the Item 8 O ring is on one cylinder only. I swapped the two HP pumps across the two cylinder, but the bubbling has continued on the same cylinder so I presume this means the problem is not the O ring.

What I was told is obviously incorrect as there are no nylon spacers of a similar size to the O Ring fitted directly after the O Ring in the schematic although there is plenty of waggle on the O ring, by this I mean the channel the Oring sits in is a lot wider than the thickness of the Oring.

The leaking became apparent within 10minutes of starting the engine so I must assume it was an instantaneous failure and not a gradual break down.

Would I be right in thinking the pressure must of built up so the O ring was no longer sufficient to hold back the diesel? That would be a lot of pressure????

Can anyone think of a reason??

I'm really quite nervous about taking more of the injectors apart as I read in the service manual that you need special tools to fit new copper sleeves with the injectors etc. It all seems a little over my head! No pun intended! I read one guy who said he took the entire head off so he could take it all into a diesel mechanic to do for him, but that sounds like a job and a half as well!! The boats on a mooring a long way from any marinas!
Old 31-01-2017, 05:42   #7

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiWill View Post
Hi Guys

...I swapped the two HP pumps across the two cylinder, but the bubbling has continued on the same cylinder...

!
Since the problem appears to be in one cylinder, it would seem that the injection nozzle is defective. Best to take them both to an injection shop for rebuild and testing...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 06:15   #8

The sleeves don't HAVE to come out with the injectors. But they sometimes do, on old sticky engines. When I pulled my injectors, they came out with just a bit of wiggling and patience, and the sleeves stayed where they were supposed to.
Old 31-01-2017, 06:29   #9

After re-reading your original and subsequent posts, I admit to some confusion. Like DougR asked, where exactly is your leak? Is it at the injector (where it enters the cylinder head at he top), or is it at the HP injector pump (down on the side of the block)?

I think it must be at the pump, or your helpful Mate wouldn't have removed the HP pump. If it's at the HP pump, then any advice on injector/sleeve issues/removal (including my own) is not pertinent. In other words, I don't think a pump leak would be helped by removing the injectors, and an injector leak is not helped by removing the pump.
Old 31-01-2017, 07:16   #10

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Opposite View Post
After re-reading your original and subsequent posts, I admit to some confusion. Like DougR asked, where exactly is your leak? Is it at the injector (where it enters the cylinder head at he top), or is it at the HP injector pump (down on the side of the block)?

I think it must be at the pump, or your helpful Mate wouldn't have removed the HP pump. If it's at the HP pump, then any advice on injector/sleeve issues/removal (including my own) is not pertinent. In other words, I don't think a pump leak would be helped by removing the injectors, and an injector leak is not helped by removing the pump.
If you read the OP's last post, he says that he swapped the pumps and the swapped pump is leaking in the same manner.

What this probably means is that cylinder pressure is leaking back through the nozzle on the compression stroke, probably from a worn or sticky valve or mechanism within the nozzle itself, and is forcing itself out through the path of least resistance.

The most efficient path is simplest first, and that would be having the injectors checked as a first step...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 09:10   #11

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Is this your engine? (see pics, attached)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 010.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	395.2 KB
ID:	140440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 012.jpg
Views:	1248
Size:	413.0 KB
ID:	140441  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 005.jpg
Views:	1135
Size:	425.1 KB
ID:	140442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 001.jpg
Views:	850
Size:	421.1 KB
ID:	140443  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 16:03   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post

What this probably means is that cylinder pressure is leaking back through the nozzle on the compression stroke, probably from a worn or sticky valve or mechanism within the nozzle itself, and is forcing itself out through the path of least resistance.

The most efficient path is simplest first, and that would be having the injectors checked as a first step...
Seems to me he could confirm or rule this out by swapping injectors...before the expense, hassle and delay of an injector rebuild.
Old 31-01-2017, 19:51   #13

Boat: Coast 30

Nautiwill,

As you continue to work on your diesel engine problem; Consider the known fact that Volvo Penta have a policy of raising the price of spares for their oldest model engines twice a year,To the point that many of us consider them to be unreasonably expensive.

Thus I write to suggest that you focus your attention to the fact that all of the fuel system components on the Volvo Penta 2000 series diesels are made by Bosch. thus you will save a lot of money if you seek out a Bosch Authorized repair centre and have them rebuild your injectors and pumps as required.

As this is an international forum it would be helpful if you disclose your general geographic location for more specific advice about contacts.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 23:24   #14

HI guys
Overwhelmed with the response thanks!

I'm in brisbane in Australia.

The photos posted are very similarge to my engine but the oil fuller is at the back of the engine?

I'll try and upload some pics!

I think it makes sense that something in the lower end of the injector that I haven't yet removed is causing the additional back pressure as someone said. I'll have a go at removing the rest this weekend taking into account I might be able to do this without removing the sleeves!!!

Does anyone know any bosch I'd numbers??

Thatnks again all of you, you're a little bit awesome!!!
Old 01-02-2017, 00:23   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiWill View Post
The photos posted are very similarge to my engine but the oil fuller is at the back of the engine?
Nauti, the large plug at the back of the engine is for the gearbox filler. Some gearboxes take engine oil and some gear oil, depending on the serial number. There should be a smaller 1" filler on the front of the engine under the fuel pump to top the engine up.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, penta, volvo