Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2016, 20:06   #1

Boat: Hanse 575, 57' Sloop
Volvo Penta 110 and 150

Does anyone have any experience with the Volvo 110 and the 150hp engines as installed by Hanse? I've got experience with Yanmars (generally positive) and Westerbeke (Neutral at best), but none with Volvo.

Any common problems?
Maintenance difficulties?
Finding spare parts?
Transmission?
Noise?
Vibration?
Prop matching?

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Portsmouth, RI
Black Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 07:36   #2

Re: Volvo Penta 110 and 150

Hello Rick,

As no one wanted to bite on your inquiry, I'll offer a few comments on the engines:

The base engine for the Volvo Penta D3 series is produced by Volvo Car Corp. and VP began using the D3-110 engine about 2004. At that time the engine was available from VP in an inboard version, as well as a sterndrive version with power ratings up to 160 h.p. The engine received an update by Volvo Cars within the last 5 or 6 years, and that carried over to the VP engine as well. Currently the engine is available in inboard and sterndrive versions with a max rating of 220 hp. This is the same base engine that is used in the diesel powered Volvo cars.

As you probably know the engine is a five cylinder in line engine with double overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder and equipped with a high pressure common rail fuel system. It incorporates all of the latest pollution control gizmos, so its very clean burning and very quiet.

Maintenance should be fairly easy, as the fuel and oil filters are high and forward on the engine, and the serpentine belts are self adjusting. Valves are hydraulic and dont require adjusting.

The transmissions that are used by the VP factory are from ZF and have been around for years, so there are no surprises there.

Prop matching is the same as any other engine, and isnt a problem as long as the boat builder gives enough room for an adequate prop diameter.

Dont know what else I can offer, but feel free to come back if you have other questions and I will try to find an answer for you.

DougR
Attached Files
File Type: pdf my14_D3-110_150.pdf (584.4 KB, 188 views)
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 07:57   #3

Good information. Thanks for the post. I had almost given up the vigil.

I was not aware it was the auto diesel. That actually feels better except for the "marine" aspects to be considered. Potential salt water exposure, electrical current in the marina water, etc..

I know they've taken big auto v8's and converted them for marine use, but I've no experience with this on a sailboat. Is the track record good in doing this? How long has the VP been out there?

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hylas 49-057
Portsmouth, RI
Old 26-09-2016, 11:48   #4

Most of the small diesel engines found in sailboats are derived from industrial based engines, such as garden tractors, wood chippers, and things like that. These engines are produced by the thousands or maybe millions. Compare those numbers (1000s) to the number of inboard powered sailboats built in the US last year (probably less than 400) and its easy to see why no one in their right mind would try to develop an engine strictly for sailboats. (Volvo Penta quit in 1993)

Mid sized engines like the Volvo D3 and the Yanmar BY series come from the automotive world....either Volvo cars for the D3, or BMW for the BY series.

Some of the Volvo Penta engines, The D4 and D6, are designed strictly for the marine world, though that is rather rare.

Larger marine engines between say 400 hp and 1200 hp, typically come from the truck industry. Cummins, Cat, Volvo, MTU/Detroit Diesel, all of them.....there just isnt enough volume in the marine world to justify the expense of developing an engine this size.

As an example, the Volvo Penta D13 marine engine, ( 13 liter displacement and up to 900hp), is also found in Volvo trucks, Mack trucks, Renault trucks, Volvo buses, Volvo Construction equipment, it's used by gen set builders all over the world (Kohler, Generac, SDMO, etc.). And that's the way it is with all engine manufacturers.

Volvo Penta has been using the D3 engine for about 12 years now and it has been a successful product for them. Realistically, there have been many more of the sterndrive packages built than the inboard sailboat packages, but that's a function of the target market. There are many many more 24 ft. diesel RIBs, patrol boats, and small cruisers built than there are 60+ foot sailboats. That's just the way it is...

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 17:21   #5

good info. The volume piece makes sense given autos in the millions and sailboats in the hundreds or (at best) low thousands.

Thanks again!

Rick

Tags
penta, volvo